If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
3%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
22%

Total votes: 958

Scarlet Fox

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Scarlet Fox »

Sob story wrote:Being a military brat did have its advantages when I was young, especially as a good chunk of my childhood was on the German bases where the people were much more tight knit and such. So when I was still adjusting I had plenty of people willing to help me out and docs who were used to dealing with people who lost limbs.
Was it Landstuhl, by any chance? When my dad was stationed in SHAPE, Belgium, I visited some places in Germany, and Landstuhl was one of them. I think I visited the base in Ramstein, too, I'm not too sure.

I wish I had some sporty battle scars. All I have that's visible is a 10-stitch scar above my right knee, and I prefer long pants so no one sees it. I fell on my head pretty badly under the age of 5 and they almost cut a big hole into my head because of 'internal bleeding' (does that mean the brain? Is that why I'm weird?), almost wish they had. :)
Last edited by Scarlet Fox on Sun May 16, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

I have scars on the knees. apart from looking like scars it kinda hurts while kneeling. not cool.
Neko Len

Post by Neko Len »

severe enough migraines to put me on permanent disability.

Post by Guest »

Scarlet Fox wrote:
Was it Landstuhl, by any chance? When my dad was stationed in SHAPE, Belgium, I visited some places in Germany, and Landstuhl was one of them. I think I visited the base in Ramstein, too, I'm not too sure.

I wish I had some sporty battle scars. All I have that's visible is a 10-stitch scar above my right knee, and I prefer long pants so no one sees it. I fell on my head pretty badly under the age of 5 and they almost cut a big hole into my head because of 'internal bleeding' (does that mean the brain? Is that why I'm weird?), almost wish they had. :)
Nah lived in Wildenrath.

As for the scars I'd trade you some of mine but I'm rather attatched to them.
Ah, just wild heaven

Post by Ah, just wild heaven »

I have a slight hearing impairment in my right ear, im taking some kind of "Nose Douche" where i squirt water into my nose to come out my mouth, thus allow me to hear better in my right ear.
Though it isn't nearly as bad as being deaf, i guess you could count it, I also have low vision like a lot for the people here; but that's because i wear glasses and am on the computer a lot.
Hurry up, you can still make it!
Oohh~ Run to her and hug her tightly!
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

how exactly does the nasal wash actually help with you hearing? I mean, I know that they affect each other, but why?
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Guest wrote:
Nah lived in Wildenrath.

It's cool that you used to live in Germany for a while. I was actually born in Nuremberg, and lived there while my dad went off to Desert Storm. Sorry about all the shit that happened to you though. I'd gladly give you some of my body parts if it was possible.

Post by Guest »

Nightdragon wrote:
Guest wrote:
Nah lived in Wildenrath.

It's cool that you used to live in Germany for a while. I was actually born in Nuremberg, and lived there while my dad went off to Desert Storm. Sorry about all the shit that happened to you though. I'd gladly give you some of my body parts if it was possible.
The prosthetic leg is fine and you adapt so long as its non-essential fingers you loose. The eye and the rest are just realities of my life so I deal with it. Sides eventually technology will be able to replace them.

The only thing that bugs me is my dodgy pins. If there's a lot of static in the air two of the pins in my remaining leg act as an aerial or something and end up causing a metric shitload of pain.
Squirg

Post by Squirg »

Somehow, I expected that the vast majority would have low vision.

Post by Guest »

Squirg wrote:Somehow, I expected that the vast majority would have low vision.
Its a very common defect.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

moderately surprised that so few others are legally blind
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

I'm nearsighted and getting steadily worse at a noticeable rate, but it's fully correctable for now (no vote). Two years ago I could read ten point font on a computer screen at two feet without correction, now I need to be less than eight inches away. *shrug* I hardly notice my glasses anymore except during the rare occasions I remove them, which are rather unsettling.

Otherwise, (vote) I suffered severe hearing loss in both ears growing up due to chronic infections (abnormally thin eustachian tubes) and am nearly deaf in my right ear from a SCUBA accident involving vertigo: Think I'm going down while going up, so I try going up to level myself out...POP!!! Bloody water. Blinding pain. Get my bearings and finish the dive (foolish). Gets infected (didn't see that coming a mile away... :roll:). It's mostly just an annoyance having to ask others to repeat themselves all the time, especially when someone's speech is heavily accented or they tend to mumble, but it doesn't really hold me back at all as far as I can tell.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

Huh, there's actually some people posting here with bigger disabilities... That said, I have a clean bill of health... And thus the odd one out ">_>

On the Tinnitus stuff: I have a friend who also always has the beeping noise. She claims it's information from "Somewhere Else™", though, so I don't think I'll spoil that for her :P
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
DovK

Post by DovK »

Marfan syndrome.

Nothing too serious; properly treated nowadays it's almost as if you're just a little tall and skinny with bad eyesight. I lucked out, too; no developmental deficiencies. All the same it's not fun to have because heavy exercise poses a threat of making my aorta decide it wants to break, and that's bad. That's very bad.
Wrench Wench

Post by Wrench Wench »

I don't have a disability exactly but I did have an unusual hormonal disorder when I was younger that made me grow to a staggering height of six and a half foot by the time I was 16. Finding bras that properly fit was a real pain in the ass, the only ones made for someone with a torso my size are made for fat people which means they don't sit right on me. Hell getting clothing at all was a royal pain in the ass, my school gave up on trying to get me to wear the school uniform as at first I either grew too fast to make owning one worthwhile or later on it was impossible to find one my size.