If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
3%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
22%

Total votes: 958

Shades of Grey

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Shades of Grey »

Do you work with artillery or something? My uncle was a marine and he worked with such things for a while. His hearing went downhill as well.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
contown

Post by contown »

No individual category for us smell-blind folks? For shame. :lol:
ze spy

Post by ze spy »

I'm blind in one eye, like I said in another thread, I was born with it, my mother was in a car crash before I was born, fucking it up, you probably couldn't tell I was blind unless you were looking for it.
"That weird motherfucker"
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

oh, I have also astigmatism on the left eye. Can't read much with it. thankfully, humans tend to have two eyes. The second one is the main which does everything. I can switch from looking with my right eye to looking with my left one. Weird. And even weirder is the fact that the left eye has better sigh in dark places then the right one, tough it overally sees far worse.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Smoku wrote:And even weirder is the fact that the left eye has better sigh in dark places then the right one, tough it overally sees far worse.
Seeing colours and seeing in the dark are two different things :)
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

I have correctable near sightedness, don't know the number though. But in my understanding of those numbers, is the poll only covering nearsightedness?
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

I'm born to be near sighted, er, I'm not sure how you measure it standard terms so I'll just use the one I'm familiar with. I'm 300 on both eyes since 4 years old, now my right eye is 800 and my left 650. I couldn't type/read computer words unless I'm 15 cm or less from the monitor if I had no glasses, though my mum had it worse (right eye 1000). Still, I discover that if it wasn't for the need to see details for the rest of my human life, I can live like this just fine.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Nearsightedness from my mom, started at around 3rd grade. Degenerated fairly regularly, but has leveled off too around 450 in each eye by high school. Not sure how it correlates to the 20/20 scale, but it comes down to about 9 inches from my face before things become perfectly clear again. No problems whatsoever, and picking stylish glasses for myself is a minor joy.
静音是买外夫
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Shades of Grey wrote:Do you work with artillery or something? My uncle was a marine and he worked with such things for a while. His hearing went downhill as well.
No, I work as a CH-46E mechanic. Unsurprisingly, jet engines and turbines can be very very loud and high pitched. MY job requires me to be right next to them at times, so you can kinda guess at why we have to have yearly hearing exams.
Run Out Groove

Post by Run Out Groove »

Insanely nearsighted. I can only see anything clearly if it's 2-3 inches in front of my face. Anything beyond that is blurry, I can only see a general contour of objects and people at that point.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

For metric reference, 20/20 is equal to 6/6 (20 ft. = 6 m) while 20/70 is 6/21 and 20/200 is 6/60.
Ricky Controversy

Post by Ricky Controversy »

While my left eye has 20/10 vision, my right eye has to be corrected to see, well, anything. The actual receptive structure of my right eye is fine, but the focal muscular structure around it is deformed. This means that if I really feel inclined to, I can force that eye to focus in on things enough to make out rough shapes--generally I just amorphous blobs of color--but if I do so for any considerable stretch of time, I can end up tearing those muscles and a little bit of blood will trickle out of that eye sometimes.

Additionally, I had some sort of sinus infection when I was very young that really ravaged the inside of my nose, and I can't breath through it. Mouthbreather, lawl.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Ricky Controversy wrote:I can end up tearing those muscles and a little bit of blood will trickle out of that eye sometimes.
Okay dude, that's actually really gross.

Do you ever tear those muscles on purpose just to freak people out?
Ricky Controversy

Post by Ricky Controversy »

Caesius wrote:
Ricky Controversy wrote:I can end up tearing those muscles and a little bit of blood will trickle out of that eye sometimes.
Okay dude, that's actually really gross.

Do you ever tear those muscles on purpose just to freak people out?
Yeah. I used it once to avoid a fight when I was a kid. Being twelve, I thought it would be a good idea to add some dramatic flair, so I made with the demonic growling and rape face as my right eye twitched a bunch and then started to bleed. When you see someone just start bleeding from their eye socket you tend to leave them alone afterward. The down-shot of that is that people other than the bullies took that seriously.

Of course, I have also done it in situations where it's less useful. The first time it happened, I was eight and I was reading a book with really small print, and at the time I had never really put either eye to focused use of that intensity. I felt something wet around my eye and went to check in the mirror and sort of lost it. I was pretty convinced I had some sort of plague and was going to die. Hehe.
Bara

Post by Bara »

51% low vision... So, we are mainly a bunch of coke-bottle glasses wearing geeks. Wow! Is anyone else surprised? :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?