If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
2%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
45%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
23%

Total votes: 961

laharl

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by laharl »

Missing a couple fingers. I lost to a shark. Derp. Nothing else interesting about that.
Deep Reaver

Post by Deep Reaver »

Bad eyesight and a bad left leg due to premature birth, it is rotated at the knee rather far to the left putting more stress on the knee that there should be, sucks with the funny walking and what not.
Pocketmouse

Post by Pocketmouse »

I was born without a larynx. An awful lot of people assume that being mute means I can't make any sounds at all, and are surprised that I can whistle (which does not require vocal chords), and make God-awful loud honking/squawking noises (hold your tongue against the roof of your mouth, constrict your throat, and force the air out hard, and you'll see). I could also probably whisper if I had ever bothered learning how to form words.
Mangled princess

Post by Mangled princess »

ALRIGHT CHAPS!

Let's get the fucking list out.

Right leg above the knee, one eye, three fingers (one on the left hand, two on the right), one lung, a rather mangled throat that left me mute, numerous scars, one toe, a good chunk of my right ear and a chunk of my liver.
dniknu

Post by dniknu »

Hmm, first of all, tinnitus can be pretty debilitating, I was near suicidal and unable to work or do ANYTHING for 2 1/2 years because of it, it was horrible. Eventually I got used to it and moved, I'd be a liar if I said it didn't bother me (it does just a little, sometimes). But ya know, I learned from that to be thankful that beyond that i'm pretty healthy, lots of people have it worse than me.

I am farsighted a little bit, but it's corrected to 20/20 with contacts afaik, other than that just the tinnitus (which is a DIRECT RESULT of loud ass music (cars/headphones/concerts), use EARPLUGS and lower volume please, for the love of god you don't want this trust me)
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Mangled princess wrote: Right leg above the knee, one eye, three fingers (one on the left hand, two on the right), one lung, a rather mangled throat that left me mute, numerous scars, one toe, a good chunk of my right ear and a chunk of my liver.
and how did that happen? Oo
Bara

Post by Bara »

Smoku wrote:
Mangled princess wrote: Right leg above the knee, one eye, three fingers (one on the left hand, two on the right), one lung, a rather mangled throat that left me mute, numerous scars, one toe, a good chunk of my right ear and a chunk of my liver.
My brilliant deductive abilities tell me it was obviously a zombie attack. :lol:

I figure it would have been mentioned by the OP if they wanted to. *shrug*

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

Until I read this tread, I did not even realize that the ringing in I sometimes heard was an illness. Tinnitus, huh. I had always thought that it was something that everyone had since my parents also have it. For me its not bad though, and it occurs rarely, so its not a big deal.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Bara wrote:
Smoku wrote:
My brilliant deductive abilities tell me it was obviously a zombie attack. :lol:
If it were zombies she'd be missing part of her brain, or at least have deep cuts in her scalp where they tried to claw their way to the juicy, tender meat.

Either way we're both going straight to hell.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Caesius wrote:Either way we're both going straight to hell.
Been there, done that, tried to buy the t-shirt but they wouldn't take my CitiBank credit card.... something about not doing business with their major competitors. :mrgreen:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?

Post by Guest »

Smoku wrote:
Car accident.

The wonderful irony? It was an ambulance that hit us.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Guest wrote:
Smoku wrote:
Car accident.

The wonderful irony? It was an ambulance that hit us.
Clearly it was an ambulance driven by zombies.

Jokes aside, that really sucks. How are you holding up after going through something so traumatic?
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Those ambulance drivers is crazy. One managed to get himself T-boned by my work car while running a stop sign. Not responding to any emergency or carrying passengers, just driving like a moron.
Sob story

Post by Sob story »

Caesius wrote:
Clearly it was an ambulance driven by zombies.

Jokes aside, that really sucks. How are you holding up after going through something so traumatic?
It was years ago when I was a wee kid. I don't really remember what things were like beforehand anyways (I mean do you remember much of your early childhood?)

So I'm typically fine. Although I probably wouldn't be if I'd grown up in civvy street. Being a military brat did have its advantages when I was young, especially as a good chunk of my childhood was on the German bases where the people were much more tight knit and such. So when I was still adjusting I had plenty of people willing to help me out and docs who were used to dealing with people who lost limbs.
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Wow. serious stuff

When I was ran over by a bitch in a car (and I actually must also pay for it, oh, the law!), I didn't remember much. Well, people tend to forget when they get a bonk on the head with a front window of a 60 km/h car running right at you. It turned out to be a kind of meme. I say I can teach people how to get ran over and not die or some say "careful, don't get hit by a car" and I respond "Hey, I have experience, no probs. I'm immortal".
And I'm like wolverine: steel inside mah body. actually I just learned it's titanium :p cool ;P