If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
3%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
23%

Total votes: 960

pandaphil

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it

Post by pandaphil »

Brisingr wrote:
Xanatos wrote: Also, I'm suing you for criminal hypnosis. Dat avatar...
The original looks better but I had to reduce the quality so I could fit it as my avatar.

The Original

"ice cream..."
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

Well, since mental conditions are out, I'll stick with physical.

Entire right side of body severely burned.
I am the male version of Hanako Ikezawa.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Selim Bradley wrote:Well, since mental conditions are out, I'll stick with physical.

Any lasting nerve damage?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Umber

Post by Umber »

Xanatos wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:Well, since mental conditions are out, I'll stick with physical.

Any lasting nerve damage?
I don't think Selim can feel pain on his right side.
Not sure if relevant, not sure why I'm not sure.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Fyn

Post by Fyn »

I dont really mind being mute. I never had use of my speaking anyway. In fact, I would even be thankful if I cannot speak. That way, I can have more time to think of what I will say.
My sharp tongue has always brought me problems
neio

Post by neio »

Wow, sounds familiar :(

While I'm not disabled myself (actually I'm in pretty good shape), I know a man whose entire left arm is scarred from burns. It's not as usable as the right one.
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Fyn wrote:I dont really mind being mute.
Easy to say when you can still actually say it...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Fyn

Post by Fyn »

I already said "My sharp tongue has caused me problems".
Being unable to speak is a fair trade for the benefit of being unable to create enemies. (True friends can communicate without speech) :wink:
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Fyn wrote:I already said "My sharp tongue has caused me problems".
Being unable to speak is a fair trade for the benefit of being unable to create enemies. (True friends can communicate without speech) :wink:
Yeah, you said that...And? :P

Being unable to speak doesn't rid you of enemies. It's likely to gain some. And that 'true friends' line is utter bullshit simply because literally every animal on this planet (including humans) can communicate without speech.
Fyn

Post by Fyn »

And what? I just had experiences that made me hate speaking. That is all.
As for gaining friends, I can see that you are clueless in understanding the styles in making friends
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Fyn wrote:As for gaining friends, I can see that you are clueless in understanding the styles in making friends
Why are you talking about gaining friends? That wasn't in any way the subject matter here. And while I'm here, time for a reality check: You can see nothing. You can only make baseless assumptions. Don't confuse complete tripe with actual knowledge.
DrNonookee

Post by DrNonookee »

On the 'lack of sensory input' side of things, I suffer from a relatively uncommon (and let's face it, not very impressive) condition known as anosmia - the inability to smell. I can *breathe*, obviously, and I still have reactions to certain nasal stimuli (smelling salts, for example, still give me a kick in the head), but actual *odors* are totally imperceptible.

Although there are a number of potential causes, in my case the condition is (as far as I know) congenital - I've been smell-less for my entire life, or at least the parts I can remember. Presumably, the cause is genetic, which means that barring experimental gene therapy treatments that are still in the early stages of development, nothing can be done to fix the problem.

There are a number of negative side effects linked to anosmia - things such as decreased appetite (smell and taste are so strongly intertwined that the loss of the former can really screw up the latter), depression (imagine the smell of your favorite flower - then imagine never being able to smell it again), and the obvious issue of being completely unable to detect things like gas leaks, spoiled food, and rotting corpses through smell.

Fortunately, except for that last one, most of these are psychological - the result of *losing* one's sense of smell. Congenital anosmiacs like me never had the sense to begin with, so there's not really anything to miss. Much like Lilly (who was born blind), I've found myself curious about what I'm missing, but not particularly upset by it - especially given that out of all the human senses, smell is probably the easiest to live without. Indeed, there are even some benefits - especially on chili night. :wink:

For the most part, my life has been perfectly normal. I've never had issues with food being tasteless (if I did, I wouldn't be so fat :evil: ), and there are enough other senses to enjoy that I've never felt particularly deprived (indeed, I think my sense of touch may actually be *stronger* than most people's. Equivilant exchange, maybe?). It does mean I have to be careful about certain things, though, especially in the kitchen - I *never* have gas-powered devices in my home, and I have to manually pay attention to expiration dates on things like milk and such to make sure I'm not chugging something poisonous. Sadly, it also means that I'll never get to experience certain romantic sensations, such as incense, or the scent of a woman's perfume.

I suppose I'll just have to taste her instead... :twisted:
Now playing: Final Fantasy 14
Charlotte Donnay - Hyperion server. Look me up sometime!
Fyn

Post by Fyn »

Why are you talking about gaining friends? That wasn't in any way the subject matter here. And while I'm here, time for a reality check: You can see nothing. You can only make baseless assumptions. Don't confuse complete tripe with actual knowledge.
uhhh....what? I dont get what you mean. Was that supposed to be...offensive? :roll:
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

DrNonookee wrote:On the 'lack of sensory input' side of things, I suffer from a relatively uncommon (and let's face it, not very impressive) condition known as anosmia - the inability to smell...
Instantly reminded of Patrick Star...

And I've tasted perfume. Don't do that. :lol:

@Fyn: If you don't get it, read it until you do. It's not a complicated statement.
EzeCoyote

Post by EzeCoyote »

My left eye is beyond repair, with a major focusing problem and inability to properly take in light, making everything darker when I close my functioning eye. I have essentially no depth perception.