If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
3%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
22%

Total votes: 958

Wren

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Wren »

Bara wrote:51% low vision... So, we are mainly a bunch of coke-bottle glasses wearing geeks. Wow! Is anyone else surprised? :lol:
Just need anti-feminist agendas we can be followers of Kenji. :)
"They leave. Because they should, or they find someone else. And some of them...some of them, forget me. I suppose in the end....they break my heart." - Tenth Doctor talking about his companions.

BG Artist - Somnova Studios - Missing Stars Project
Juno

Post by Juno »

I had my eyes corrected through LASIK for a somewhat severe hypermetropia (could barely distinguish anything when they finally had the dilated pupil tests on me), so that leaves me now with a moderately screwed up right ear from back when I was a teenager.
noldor

Post by noldor »

i went deaf in my left ear after a bad ear infection. caused some kind of inner ear damage making it unable to work.
Arias

Post by Arias »

Oh wow, I did not expect you to have deaf in one ear up as an option when I clicked this.
When I was three or so my brothers were having a party in our basement. The stairs leading down did not have a railing and the floor was cement. I peeked over the edge and blacked out. When I woke up I was in an ambulance on the way to the hospital.
I had slipped and fallen. I landed solid on the cement and busted up my right ear pretty bad. I'm not sure if it was the fall that did it or perhaps that all the airflow was trapped with no where to go but straight through my eardrum.
I don't really miss it cause it happened when I was real young but I enjoy being able to roll over onto my good ear in the middle of the night and have it be almost completely silent.
It didn't affect me that much when I was younger. It just became second nature to me to walk on the left side of people so I can hear them properly. The biggest problem I think I had was trying to figure out which way the ice cream man was coming from when I heard the jingle going through the neighborhood.
Yandere is God-tier
sporkaganza

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it

Post by sporkaganza »

no more post
Last edited by sporkaganza on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

My left ear was nearly severed in an automobile accident when i was a young child. No hearing impairment though, so I'm not voting. I do have a rather strange lack of folds in my earlobe though.
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

I have electricity burn scars on the right side of my body from a suicide attempt. So other for me.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Mikage-sama wrote:I have electricity burn scars on the right side of my body from a suicide attempt. So other for me.
There is a story that goes along with this, and I'm asking you straight up about it 'cause that's how I am.

share plz
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

I don't particularly mind but I'm using my wii right now and I'm too lazy to type it but I'll do it later, you can count on it.
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

Apparently, as of a few days ago, I seem to have some sort of problem with a medical name in my right ear that I have never noticed before(if you ignore the constant high pitched buzzing sound that I was always sure everybody could hear).
So I guess I am joining your semi-crippled community. Lucky me.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Minister of Gloom wrote:Apparently, as of a few days ago, I seem to have some sort of problem with a medical name in my right ear that I have never noticed before(if you ignore the constant high pitched buzzing sound that I was always sure everybody could hear).
So I guess I am joining your semi-crippled community. Lucky me.
Tinnitus? I think that only counts as semi-semi-crippled.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

Csihar wrote:Tinnitus? I think that only counts as semi-semi-crippled.
Yup, it is an extremely minor disability(annoying, though, now that I know that it's actually not a universal problem...). But in my opinion, so is minor near/far sightedness that requires you to wear glasses, and that's what most of you have here. Let's admit, the vast majority of us are not really crippled in any way(and I don't think we ourselves believe ourselves to be) and we just want to be treated like special people for our tiny, insignificant problems.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

Minister of Gloom wrote: and we just want to be treated like special people for our tiny, insignificant problems.
That's a bit of an assumption, surely. Glasses have never particularly made my life much harder since I first started actually wearing them, but nor am I exactly asking for pity.

That's what my clinical ADHD is for, obviously. :lol:
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Most people with nearsightedness can have their vision corrected to 20/20 or close to it, even if their vision is more like 20/100 uncorrected. Vision that can only be corrected to 20/70 is pretty bad, since it means that objects at 20 feet seem 2.5 3.5 times as far away for you compared to someone with unimpaired vision. If your vision can't be corrected to 20/70 then you can't join the United States Air Force, for example. Other branches probably have the same policy.

Chronic tinnitus is caused by damage to your ear and often accompanies hearing loss. I "suffer" from it as well, but most of the time I don't even notice it, and when I do it doesn't bother me. Even if yours is severe enough to keep you awake or distract you from what people are saying, it's stupid to consider yourself "kinda sorta disabled." It's like someone with carpal tunnel saying, "Oh yeah, my hand is kinda disabled 'cause my wrist hurts sometimes."

It may be scary to think you'll live with tinnitus for the rest of your life, but there's shit a thousand times worse that could potentially happen to you. If that's the only issue you have then you should consider yourself lucky.

edit: math fail :failman:
Last edited by Caesius on Mon May 03, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dopp

Post by dopp »

I have three heart diseases, Bicuspid aortic valve included.