If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
2%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
45%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
23%

Total votes: 961

Tilting Clock

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it

Post by Tilting Clock »

I have tinnitus (constant ringing in my ears.) The ringing's so loud tonight that I can't really sleep, ergo I decided to come soak in the forum a little bit. I'm the type to cherish the merest opportunity to hear in the first place, but I think I'll miss it once I finally go deaf. Then again, I'd love the guarantee of getting to the age where the tinnitus finally takes its toll, so there's a silver lining as always. ;D

Shizune and I are going to have quite a bit to talk about down the line. XD
Radien

Post by Radien »

Thrasher Thetic wrote:What do you expect with so many computer nerds?
I presume you're talking about the predominance of low vision. As the son of an eye doctor, I find it hard to resist responding to say that what you're thinking is a myth. ;)

Specifically, straining your eyes to see something, or even watching a screen too often, doesn't really pose a risk to your eyesight. It may dry your eyes out, or give you headaches, but it isn't likely to damage your vision unless you do something extreme (like having a staring contest with the sun).

In anime, I've heard the common myth "oh, she has to wear glasses because she's worn her eyes out from reading so much." I suppose it is possible that people who read often are more likely to NOTICE if their vision has deteriorated, but the idea that there's something nerdy or bookish about wearing prescription glasses is equally silly. No matter who you are, or how much you read, being able to see clearly is... well... kinda nice. ;)

Sorry if I ranted a bit there; I'm just inclined by a whole childhood of living with an optometrist.
Paths completed so far (in order): Emi, Hanako, Shizune, Lilly (good endings)

Currently playing: Rin's path
lml99

Post by lml99 »

Radien wrote:
I presume you're talking about the predominance of low vision. As the son of an eye doctor, I find it hard to resist responding to say that what you're thinking is a myth. ;)

Specifically, straining your eyes to see something, or even watching a screen too often, doesn't really pose a risk to your eyesight. It may dry your eyes out, or give you headaches, but it isn't likely to damage your vision unless you do something extreme (like having a staring contest with the sun).

In anime, I've heard the common myth "oh, she has to wear glasses because she's worn her eyes out from reading so much." I suppose it is possible that people who read often are more likely to NOTICE if their vision has deteriorated, but the idea that there's something nerdy or bookish about wearing prescription glasses is equally silly. No matter who you are, or how much you read, being able to see clearly is... well... kinda nice. ;)

Sorry if I ranted a bit there; I'm just inclined by a whole childhood of living with an optometrist.
I'm so happy i don't have to feel guilty about watching so many hours of anime! Yay!
formerly athankfulanon
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

lml99 wrote:
Radien wrote:

I'm so happy i don't have to feel guilty about watching so many hours of anime! Yay!
Yeah, seconded. I know my near-sightedness has more to do with genetics than my abuse of the computer, but my family doesn't seem to. I suppose it's easier to blame something more tangible than genes.

... I wonder how my near-sighted prehistoric ancestors survived. :?:
Wakagana

Post by Wakagana »

Not much of a disability. But it will be with me for the rest of my life

Lyme Disease, its a blood based disease, mostly causes fatigue and weakness in joints and muscles, when I first got it and was on medication, I had many days I couldn't move without having pain in my legs. It took me a lot of will to stay up for more then 3-4 hours a day. It literally makes your body hibernate, but while your sleeping the body isn't able to do anything to rid its self of the disease, but it can be put down for a good amount of time with antibiotics, although it doesn't ensure it'll stay away. Its in my blood and can always reoccur at any time.
Omurice

Post by Omurice »

No longer counts as a disability, but, well, half of my body was paralyzed due to a riding accident. Good thing it didn't last; it must have been caused by trauma or something. (My arms go numb at times though, and there's that nagging pain on my left shoulder and back.)

Also, I have mild arrhythmia, and one of my heart's valves isn't closing properly, but nothing that a balanced lifestyle can't correct. :lol:
Libra

Post by Libra »

Caesius wrote:Do not vote if you do not have a physical disability. Blank vote instead (click "View Results").

So if you have a physical disability, how severe is it and how does it affect your life? How did you acquire your disability?

I'm Missing my Left leg and it doesn't really affect my life too much, sure there things I need to do to keep to clean and makes sure I don't put too much stress on it but beside that, physically I"m ok.
I lost my leg when I was about 8 year old and to keep it short, I had a weak bone in my left leg. Doctors try to save it but in the end, they had to remove it or spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.
Radien

Post by Radien »

lml99 wrote:I'm so happy i don't have to feel guilty about watching so many hours of anime! Yay!
Right, you shouldn't be! ;) Well... I guess it depends on just HOW many hours you watched. But still, the worst that'd happen would be headaches. Sleep deprivation and bad diet are probably much worse aspects of typical couch potato behavior. Overall, your keyboard and your chair can do a lot more damage to you than a screen can.
encrypted12345 wrote:Yeah, seconded. I know my near-sightedness has more to do with genetics than my abuse of the computer, but my family doesn't seem to. I suppose it's easier to blame something more tangible than genes.

... I wonder how my near-sighted prehistoric ancestors survived. :?:
Yeah, it's so much easier to blame something that you already disapprove of, isn't it? Twas ever so... :(

And yeah, vision problems, if severe enough, would most definitely be a large detriment in prehistoric cultures. They would have to hope that by the time they really started to lose their vision, they'd be respected elders who could do all their duties within the village. (I've already given this some thought in the past. *sheepish look*)
Paths completed so far (in order): Emi, Hanako, Shizune, Lilly (good endings)

Currently playing: Rin's path
Ely-ghost

Post by Ely-ghost »

hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
which is probably why this vn hit so close to home
fucking heart problems man
it's visible from the outside because the left side of my ribcage has made room for my heart, though it's mostly hidden by my pectoral muscles

i'm also a little short sighted, i legally have to wear glasses to drive, that's about it
MrDogsniper

Post by MrDogsniper »

I have a heart murmur does that count in other?
Wow, the memories of people thinking I was having a heart attack then me getting up a minute later completely fine. hmm...
Sandvich!
MrDogsniper

Post by MrDogsniper »

Oh, and my eyes get worse every year, I have to wear very powerful glasses for everything and well I guess I'll be legally blind at some point. Unless some sort of miracle. hmm...
Sandvich!
Accalia

Post by Accalia »

I lost both my legs up to the knees in a workplace accident, I was working with explosives and they went off early, I hate the fact that my legs were damaged to such a degree that they needed amputation as most people in my life seem to be well... easiest way to put it is babying me and its irritating, but I still count myself lucky I only lost my legs, does anyone know how to deal with the babying problem btw? If you can give advice on it, I would greatly appreciate it
CrimsonMoonMist

Post by CrimsonMoonMist »

I've got Cerebral Palsy,
results mainly in too short and generally stiff muscles, terrible eyesight, bad short-term memory and more or less no motor skills to speak off,
though as long as I don't deliberately provoke situations where people aren't aware of these shortcomings, I can get through the day just fine.
I've also got Hydrocephalus, too much water in my head, though while it did threaten me to the point where blindness was a very real possibility,
and there was also cases of memory loss surrounding the months before they found out, after I've gotten a shunt (which have been replaced multiple times),
the worst thing is merely the occasional headache and dizziness.
If this is considered too mild, then I am terribly sorry and apologize.
Idocreating

Post by Idocreating »

Off Topic: In researching what the condition is called, as it's been a good 2 years since my last eye test, I checked the Wikipedia page on Eyeglasses to try get some kind of clue. The "See Also" section links to, among other things, X-ray vision!

On topic: Myopia, short-sightedness. Not bad enough to be classed as a disability for work/benefits purposes, just short of the UK Police's limit on how bad your eyesight can be before your not able to join them. Still, without the glasses on, reading anything becomes next to impossible without getting extremely close (Roughly 12cm to get a 20/20 level of focus). Squinting/Pulling the eyes sideways can makeup for the blur but also distorts the image in other ways.

Probably more important is a possible genetic heart defect to look forward to in my middle age. Took my Uncle completely by suprise just over 4 years ago, no previous signs, just completely out the blue.
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

My vision is continuously getting worse. As it is now, without my glasses I can't read anything that's farther than a foot away.

The difference between my vision this year and last is astounding.
2 mile+ walk each day.
Days: 30
Days Missed: 1 (due to rain)