If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
3%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
22%

Total votes: 958

megamanrulesall

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it

Post by megamanrulesall »

Kanodin wrote:I find it strange that we're all a bunch of broken fuckers lol.
But, despite all the parts of us that are "Broken" isn't it nice to be able to talk and perhaps "Vent" or let loose the emotions that may end up being bottled up on a forum such as this and the fact that a "Game" is the thing to bring so many people together.

I put game in quotes, because of my ideas that may be considered philosophical when it comes to things of "Fiction/Fantasy/insert other things that do not abide my the rules of this universe we actually live in right now". I can go into detail, but maybe it be best to PM me if interested in hearing my idea (Unless of course I made mention of it earlier or something.

For me, I am getting SUPER bored waiting for the time I can go to work. I do my best to have friends over and hang with friends as it means time passes faster and I am not alone with me and my thoughts. Usually recently, when alone I feel drained of energy, like I want to sleep. Yeah, that can be good in a way as it means getting to sleep early and waking up early. At the same time, waking up early with nothing to do, means trying to fill the void. @_@ One week and a couple days before I go back. I just hope my neck is going to be able to handle it. But, I won't know unless I try.

Anywho, take care everyone. Stay strong, don't give up and keep pushing forward in whatever it is you are doing in life.
Kanodin

Post by Kanodin »

megamanrulesall wrote:
Kanodin wrote:I find it strange that we're all a bunch of broken fuckers lol.
But, despite all the parts of us that are "Broken" isn't it nice to be able to talk and perhaps "Vent" or let loose the emotions that may end up being bottled up on a forum such as this and the fact that a "Game" is the thing to bring so many people together.

I put game in quotes, because of my ideas that may be considered philosophical when it comes to things of "Fiction/Fantasy/insert other things that do not abide my the rules of this universe we actually live in right now". I can go into detail, but maybe it be best to PM me if interested in hearing my idea (Unless of course I made mention of it earlier or something.

For me, I am getting SUPER bored waiting for the time I can go to work. I do my best to have friends over and hang with friends as it means time passes faster and I am not alone with me and my thoughts. Usually recently, when alone I feel drained of energy, like I want to sleep. Yeah, that can be good in a way as it means getting to sleep early and waking up early. At the same time, waking up early with nothing to do, means trying to fill the void. @_@ One week and a couple days before I go back. I just hope my neck is going to be able to handle it. But, I won't know unless I try.

Anywho, take care everyone. Stay strong, don't give up and keep pushing forward in whatever it is you are doing in life.

If I could rep you, I would.

Post by Guest »

So many people with low vision :roll:
Adjuchas

Post by Adjuchas »

I don't really have a single defining disability, rather a collection of minor issues that make my life difficult, thanks to life of misadventure.

Pitchfork through the foot when I was little, left concealable scarring.
Barbed wire lacerations under one of my eyes and on both of my hands (mostly due to falling or tripping) left me visible scars.
Electric Fence! Playing at a friends house who owned a farm: he went under a fence and beckoned me over (neglecting to tell me it was electrified). I climbed under and woke up on the floor, tried to get up then woke up on the floor again, started to notice a pattern and an unpleasant hotness! I used to get bright white flashes in front of my eyes after that but it's extremely rare to get that now, guess I'm fixed... mostly?
Hit by a car whilst on my bike, it didn't hit me directly luckily but I was flung against the side, over the back and onto the road. Lots of scars from that one, especially across one of my elbows which was open to the joint, get funny looks when I wear short sleeve shirts, also some minor cuts to the back of my head which are easily concealed by my hair. The biggest problems from that was the whiplash that went from the neck/shoulder of one side of my body to the stomach of the other side of my body (terrible headaches that can last for days if I sleep in the wrong position) and a build up of bony material between some of my ribs due to the impact damage, I only discovered that because I found lumps and thought I had cancer!
Tennis ball to the right eye, this one is the most annoying as it was done at point-blank range by a so-called friend. My eyesight has become increasingly poor in my right eye, anything over a metre away gets very blurry,

I'm mostly fine, but when I get tired, my body feels like it starts to shut down bit by bit until I have to go and collapse somewhere for a few hours. Sometimes I feel like I'm held together with duct tape.
Ryto

Post by Ryto »

The low visibility thing is destined to be the highest choice...just about everyone these days needs glasses, and that's pretty much what that choice means.
100% Complete.
So here's my ranking:
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>=Emi>Shizune
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

I get Chronic Migraines on a regular basis. Not sure if that counts as a physical disability, but it sure is disabling. Have to lock myself in a dark room, with no sound and sleep, until I work up the strength to throw up. Somehow that always seems to make it go away... that and 4 extra strength excedrins. :?
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Vision through my right eye is... not so great. My monitor is a foot away from my face at most, and if I close my left eye I can hardly read what I'm typing. For whatever reason, my left eye's vision is (though still not great) much better. My eyesight is probably going to keep getting worse if I don't pick up activities that don't require things being close to my face.

On that note, it's kind of dizzying to walk around without my glasses for long since my vision is uneven.

And I don't know if it really counts as a physical disability, but I've also had asthma since I was 6. Ugh, that first asthma attack was scary as hell- I had no idea what was going on and why I couldn't breathe. I don't remember much else about the event except that my grandma gave me Pokemon marbles sometime that day. /selective memory
MoonShadow

Post by MoonShadow »

I have really low vision. So low that there is no glasses that could correct this. God bless contact lenses.

Without my contact lenses, something 1 inch from my nose is blurred. I can't even read books with normal sized print without my lenses.

Those contact lenses are really life-saving, with them I have normal vision. (Well I think it's normal, but since I am allowed to drive it must be.)
"If there can be no victory, then I will fight forever."
-Koth of the Hammer

"If you're not having fun, what's the point of living forever?"
-An unknown vampire

You can spot a werewolf-infested town by its lack of butcher shops.

Don't underestimate the aerodynamic qualities of the common goblin.
Koda89

Post by Koda89 »

I'm a double-whammy. I have bad eyesight. I suffer from Myopia, so I can't see jack far away, and to make it worse I have Astigmatism in my left eye(really, really badly I might add), so even up close things look blurred. I can barely read anything without my glasses at all.

At the same time I have epilepsy. I haven't had a seizure since my pre-teen years, but epilepsy doesn't really go away 100%. So I don't know when, or if, I'll ever have another seizure caused by my condition. :(
Radien

Post by Radien »

Well now... it seems that in lieu of being allowed/encouraged to create introduction topics, this topic has largely become the de facto thread for indirectly introducing oneself. :) Since I"m new and this is my first post, I hope you all won't mind if I do the same.

I guess if you wanted to boil it down, my disability brain damage, but that could cause practically anything depending on the kind. For me, it's the cerebellum, which means I have bad balance and orientation. It's easier to just say what caused it... Recently, at age 30, I had a stroke (rare for my age). The vertigo and nausea led my now-ex-personal-physician to misdiagnose it, but upon being taken to the ER, the doctors there figured out what was wrong and got me into surgery right away.

After that, I spent 3 months in physical rehab, re-learning how to walk. So as you can imagine, I sympathize quite a bit with Hisao. Like Hisao, I have a relatively "invisible" disability, and a scar that is easy to hide (since my hair grew back). It also left me with permanent double vision (one of the inexplicable effects), so now I wear glasses full-time.

When I caught wind of Katawa Shoujo (I forget where...maybe TVTropes), originally, I read about it out of morbid curiosity. It sounded like an absolutely awful idea, because I was worried the disabilities would be treated like a fetish. After reading more and more, I realized I was wrong, and gave it a try. I'm amazed and delighted that a team started on 4chan was able to produce such a sensitive look at the topic of disabilities...and in a dating sim, no less. This is the first time a sexually explicit game or anime has brought a tear to my eye... (and multiple times, I might add)

So, anyway, hi. Another broken person here to join you (but then, everyone's broken in some way). Now Rin can add a stroke survivor to her "collection." :)
Paths completed so far (in order): Emi, Hanako, Shizune, Lilly (good endings)

Currently playing: Rin's path
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

The blind and semi blind are completely dominating this forum. I think they might be part of the feminist conspiracy.

And I'm semi blind myself!
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
dragonfi

Post by dragonfi »

Compared to others, I consider myself lucky.

The only serious "condition" I have is moderate myopia. My glasses currently are -6.0 / -6.5 dioptres, if memory serves me right, but I will have to go back to the optometrist to prescribe stronger glasses soon. (Since I have trouble reading the blackboard from the front row, again...) It might be at least part genetics, since my father use around -9.0 dioptre lenses.

To put it in perspective, without glasses I can not focus on anything farther than ~15-20cm (~7 inch, way too close for confortable reading.). Thankfully, it can be almost fully corrected with glasses.

(Does it qualify for "Correctable to 20/70-20/200" ? I mean, the wording is a bit ambiguous for me, does it include myopia if it is correctable to better than 20/70? Or should I just abstain?)
gunlocksp

Post by gunlocksp »

Caesius wrote:So if you have a physical disability, how severe is it and how does it affect your life? How did you acquire your disability?
Well I have bad eyesight... (shortsightedness, although it's not too bad...) and I sometimes have trouble seeing in the dark...... =.="
contown

Post by contown »

Epilepsy. I believe that counts as a physical disability, seeing how it's not classified as a mental one, not anything like autism, and is caused by physical deformities in the brain. (At least mine is, the grey matter in my left hemisphere migrated incorrectly while in the womb.)
Koda89

Post by Koda89 »

contown wrote:Epilepsy. I believe that counts as a physical disability, seeing how it's not classified as a mental one, not anything like autism, and is caused by physical deformities in the brain. (At least mine is, the grey matter in my left hemisphere migrated incorrectly while in the womb.)
It counts. Because there is a girl in the game with epilepsy. In Hanako's path, Hisao even mentions in passing seeing her suffer a seizure.