If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
3%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
23%

Total votes: 960

a3d

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by a3d »

I have permament burn marks on my left leg and on right my arm, like a certain chocolate loving individual. Although I doubt that could possibly count as a disability.

Also I didn't expect so many people with "problems" to play a VN about disabled girls.

oh wait.
DragoonHP

Post by DragoonHP »

I don't know, if it should be in this thread or not, but I wanted to ask (from a long time) what comes in the nild physical disabilities. I have three though I think they would be consider mild, or maybe not.

Let me tell, and then maybe you could comment:
My speech stuttters while speaking and it is so frequent that I can hardly say a word without stumbling on the word. My eyes squint and I have myopia.

Please tell, if it comes in mild physical disabilities.
Ozymil

Post by Ozymil »

Does blindness merely cloud one's vision, or is it complete darkness?

Also, I've got the diabeetus. Thanks, dad!
Donnes-moi le chocolat, Hisao! Gib mir die Schokolade, Hisao! Dame el chocolate, Hisao! Dammi il cioccolato, Hisao! Ge mig choklad, Hisao! Giv mig chokolade, Hisao! 私にチョコレートを与える, 久夫! Daj mi czekoladę, Hisao! Geef me de chocola, Hisao! (Thanks for the Dutch ver. Leotrak) Bigyan mo ako ng chocolate, Hisao! Geef mij de chocolade, Hisao! Дайте мне шоколад, Хисао! Dá-me o chocolate, Hisao!
Escalator

Post by Escalator »

Ozymil wrote:Does blindness merely cloud one's vision, or is it complete darkness?

Also, I've got the diabeetus. Thanks, dad!
There are varying degrees of blindness as far as I know.

Also, if your question and your statement are related, you should probably see a doctor ASAP
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

DragoonHP wrote:I don't know, if it should be in this thread or not, but I wanted to ask (from a long time) what comes in the nild physical disabilities. I have three though I think they would be consider mild, or maybe not.

Let me tell, and then maybe you could comment:
My speech stuttters while speaking and it is so frequent that I can hardly say a word without stumbling on the word. My eyes squint and I have myopia.

Please tell, if it comes in mild physical disabilities.
Stuttering = communication disorder along the same lines as dyslexia. Nothing to do with physical ability or disability.

Squinting = azn French Stewart

Myopia = if it's not to the extent of legal blindness then you aren't considered physically disabled.

I excluded "mild physical disabilities" from this poll because of how inane it would be for someone to describe themselves as "mildly physically disabled," much like how some people for whatever reason diagnose themselves with Asperger's. I don't actually think there's such a thing as "mild physical disabilities;" you're either physically disabled or you're not.
Wrench Wench

Post by Wrench Wench »

Although different peoples standards of physical disability vary. One guy I know can't use his legs but insists he's not disabled.
Saraquill

Post by Saraquill »

Doesn't "mild" in "mild physical disability" indicate severity? Like something that causes a hindrance in day to day life but not enough to warrant drastic accommodations in order to function.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

I think what many people would think of as a "mild physical disability" might be more properly termed a "physical impairment" if they require little to no accommodation in order for it to not be a hindrance (and to be honest I'm pulling the term "physical impairment" out of my ass by analogy to "hearing impairment"). In hindsight, most of the options on this poll aren't really physical disabilities so much as physical impairments -- even muteness is technically a communication disorder. I think in most cases a good measure of whether or not you could be physically disabled as opposed to physically impaired is whether or not you're legally allowed to drive (I am), but then again I have no idea whether handicapped people tend to drive themselves to those handicapped parking spaces you see all over the place.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Caesius wrote:I think in most cases a good measure of whether or not you could be physically disabled as opposed to physically impaired is whether or not you're legally allowed to drive (I am), but then again I have no idea whether handicapped people tend to drive themselves to those handicapped parking spaces you see all over the place.
There are a double arm amputees with driver's licence and even pilot's licence. Also as far as terminology goes, "physical impairment" is actually a subterm for "disability", specifying people with disabilities that reduce the usage of limbs. Defining disability is not that simple, even many official definitions fall back to defining it through societal norms ie. if you or your reference group think that a person is disabled, he or she (likely) is.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

How does a person with heterochromia get a driver's license?
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Caesius wrote:How does a person with heterochromia get a driver's license?
Why would heterochromia affect getting a driver's license?
Darroth

Post by Darroth »

Esa94 wrote:
I don't know, but Yuna's hot. That is all. :D
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

It's not me here this time, but my best friend just informed me this morning that he is going to go blind very soon. Some sort of medical emergency called "retinal detachment".
This hurts, even though it's not about me. She is a painter, she is a gamer, she is an avid reader. Blindness must be horrible for a person like her.
The universe likes to screw with good people.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
Wrench Wench

Post by Wrench Wench »

Minister of Gloom wrote:It's not me here this time, but my best friend just informed me this morning that he is going to go blind very soon. Some sort of medical emergency called "retinal detachment".
This hurts, even though it's not about me. She is a painter, she is a gamer, she is an avid reader. Blindness must be horrible for a person like her.
The universe likes to screw with good people.
Fuck that's a nasty one. It's possible to recover from it if its treated though. My gramps got it as the result of a really bad case of arc eye, went to a hospital and it took him around six months to recover but he was fine afterwards.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Esa94 wrote:
Same reason a deaf girl would need glasses.