If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
79
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
21
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
24
3%
Muteness
35
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
436
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
35
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
42
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
20
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
48
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
210
22%
 
Total votes: 950

User avatar
Wrench Wench
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:22 am

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Wrench Wench » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Minister of Gloom wrote:oh. cool. Now you just need to find someone with a fetish for that and you are basically fixed for (a relatively long) life.
It's a wonderful world.
I didn't manage to get a boyfriend until a year ago. Shit sucked on that front for a long time. Fortunately he's not bothered by my size and loves my muscles. So these days shit is good.

User avatar
Caesius
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Contact:

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Caesius » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Do you often bump your head on door thresholds?

Do people tend to immediately notice your height or do they only realize it when they get right up next to you and have to look up to see your chin?
Image

User avatar
Wrench Wench
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:22 am

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Wrench Wench » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Caesius wrote:Do you often bump your head on door thresholds?

Do people tend to immediately notice your height or do they only realize it when they get right up next to you and have to look up to see your chin?
Yeah I often end up hitting my head when just walking around so I have to pay attention or "thud"

People almost always notice the height if I'm standing near other people. One funny thing that often happens is if I'm with my boyfriend and someone approaches us from behind. They'll often think he's a girl and I'm a man.

User avatar
kobe
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:11 pm
Location: The Internet

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by kobe » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 am

Goddammit, I wanted to vote for low vision but firefox thinks I voted 'foot/leg amputated'
Must be because of all those add-onns I got running at the same time. LAG FTL
das bruce wrote:My mental image of you is now a ten foot tall, hammer weilding, scottish viking.
Someone draw Kenji as a viking, but with his signature bottle of liquor in his hands instead.

Looks to me as if most people here voted for low vision, I wonder if this is going to become the norm in a few decades. With more and more people getting a computer, I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, I have this friend who is 16 years old. And he's legally blind. And I mean Kenji legally blind. He has really strong lenses though, so all is well for now.

User avatar
Wrench Wench
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:22 am

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Wrench Wench » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:55 am

kobe wrote:Looks to me as if most people here voted for low vision, I wonder if this is going to become the norm in a few decades. With more and more people getting a computer, I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, I have this friend who is 16 years old. And he's legally blind. And I mean Kenji legally blind. He has really strong lenses though, so all is well for now.
I think it's more those people now surviving to propagate, increased exposure to certain things (both light and chemical) and more people being diagnosed than ever before.

Saraquill
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Saraquill » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:46 pm

I'm autistic, which rather skews my senses. Sounds that no one else reacts to causes me pain, and my tactile abilities are so sensitive I can feel my pulse without using my fingers (fun parlor trick) and rub my throat raw from breathing (utterly sucky.) My balance and coordination also suffer, but the plus is that I'm very resistant to motion sickness. I also have disgraphia, which is arguably physical as it affects my ability to old a pen and write quickly, coherently and legibly. Plus I get seizures.

PiePersonOfDOOM
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by PiePersonOfDOOM » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Nearsightedness, but it seems to be fully correctable. Other than that, my left pointer finger is shorter than my other fingers and slightly deformed at the tip. It's never held me back (in fact, I play StepMania with it, hehu), so whatever.

Oh, and my doctor is still trying to find out exactly what it is, but my right eye doesn't work properly (apparently not a lazy eye) so my left eye is the eye I mainly look out of. I can switch my vision to my right eye (somewhat) without closing my left, but I can't force myself to see equally out of both. If I'm looking out of my left eye, I can VERY slightly see out of my right eye, but I can only get a general idea of what I'm seeing. I guess it's like a second peripheral vision.

Anyways, blank voted because my vision is fully correctable and none of this stuff has ever held me back. I just felt it was worth a mention.

User avatar
Minister of Gloom
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:41 am
Location: Israel

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Minister of Gloom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:48 pm

PiePersonOfDOOM wrote:Nearsightedness, but it seems to be fully correctable. Other than that, my left pointer finger is shorter than my other fingers and slightly deformed at the tip. It's never held me back (in fact, I play StepMania with it, hehu), so whatever.

Oh, and my doctor is still trying to find out exactly what it is, but my right eye doesn't work properly (apparently not a lazy eye) so my left eye is the eye I mainly look out of. I can switch my vision to my right eye (somewhat) without closing my left, but I can't force myself to see equally out of both. If I'm looking out of my left eye, I can VERY slightly see out of my right eye, but I can only get a general idea of what I'm seeing. I guess it's like a second peripheral vision.

Anyways, blank voted because my vision is fully correctable and none of this stuff has ever held me back. I just felt it was worth a mention.
I think my cousin has something like that. He can't focus his eyes very well. But in his case it's related to some kind of general muscle defect so... perhaps it isn't so similar.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.

PiePersonOfDOOM
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by PiePersonOfDOOM » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Minister of Gloom wrote:
PiePersonOfDOOM wrote:Nearsightedness, but it seems to be fully correctable. Other than that, my left pointer finger is shorter than my other fingers and slightly deformed at the tip. It's never held me back (in fact, I play StepMania with it, hehu), so whatever.

Oh, and my doctor is still trying to find out exactly what it is, but my right eye doesn't work properly (apparently not a lazy eye) so my left eye is the eye I mainly look out of. I can switch my vision to my right eye (somewhat) without closing my left, but I can't force myself to see equally out of both. If I'm looking out of my left eye, I can VERY slightly see out of my right eye, but I can only get a general idea of what I'm seeing. I guess it's like a second peripheral vision.

Anyways, blank voted because my vision is fully correctable and none of this stuff has ever held me back. I just felt it was worth a mention.
I think my cousin has something like that. He can't focus his eyes very well. But in his case it's related to some kind of general muscle defect so... perhaps it isn't so similar.
I had muscle surgery when I was five, but it didn't actually do anything. Maybe they thought it was what he had.

User avatar
sonnysonny
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:40 am
Location: Gettin Lucky in Kentucky!

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by sonnysonny » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Does lung cancer count? I was declared "treated" last week. Now I'm missing half of my left lung :/

User avatar
Esa94
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Esa94 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:06 pm

sonnysonny wrote:Does lung cancer count? I was declared "treated" last week. Now I'm missing half of my left lung :/
You... Had cancer? Holy fuck. I hope it didn't metastasise or anything :/

Oh wait, lung cancer? Are you a smoker?

User avatar
Smoku
Posts: 687
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 pm
Location: My own world

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Smoku » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:34 pm

one does not necessarily have to be a smoker to get lung cancer.

User avatar
Esa94
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Esa94 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Smoku wrote:one does not necessarily have to be a smoker to get lung cancer.
But I want to know if he is a smoker, because smoking is a common cause of lung cancer.

User avatar
sonnysonny
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:40 am
Location: Gettin Lucky in Kentucky!

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by sonnysonny » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Esa94 wrote:Oh wait, lung cancer? Are you a smoker?
No. My parents and grandparents are though. I also do lots of spray painting without a mask, as well as sit around in gas masks with asbestos ridden filters in them.
Im in your house, kicking your ass.

User avatar
DESU
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:48 am
Location: The Desucave
Contact:

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by DESU » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:29 am

sonnysonny wrote:
Esa94 wrote:Oh wait, lung cancer? Are you a smoker?
No. My parents and grandparents are though. I also do lots of spray painting without a mask, as well as sit around in gas masks with asbestos ridden filters in them.
well there's your problem. if you got lung cancer than I think a new gas mask or two is a good idea.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.

Post Reply