Shizune's cell phone

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Csihar

Shizune's cell phone

Post by Csihar »

I can't believe it took me fifteen episodes of Durarara!! to realize this. Does Shizune have a cell phone? And if so, couldn't she just use that to communicate in a pinch? Something tells me she'd find it annoying and prefer not to, but at least it's something. (Although that might make Raita's idea of not being able to communicate unless you take sign language classes a little redundant.)

In b4 "how can she use a cell phone if she's deaf?"
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Esa94

Re: Shizune's cell phone

Post by Esa94 »

Much of the fanfic writers here to depict her with one, and it would make sense to me.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

The deaf community always latches on to any new communications technology that they can use faster than anyone else. BTW, Raita only said you had to learn to sign to confess to the deaf girl.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Shizune is oldfashioned and uses a cute stationery notebook and a fountain pen that she carries with her if she needs to talk through writing.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Sign language+interpreter is probably still much faster than trying to communicate with a cell phone, whiteboard, or whatever.

Aura wrote:Shizune is oldfashioned and uses a cute stationery notebook and a fountain pen that she carries with her if she needs to talk through writing.
srsly?
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Aura wrote:Shizune is oldfashioned and uses a cute stationery notebook and a fountain pen that she carries with her if she needs to talk through writing.
What, does she send letters when others are not present? :3
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

Thats a tad surprising. I always had the impression that Shizune preferred efficiency over appearances. A cell would also be good for her to use for texting and stuff, even if she could not use its normal function.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

Shades of Grey wrote:A cell would also be good for her to use for texting and stuff, even if she could not use its normal function.
I lol'd at the thought of Shizune calling Hisao on the phone. :mrgreen:
Shades of Grey wrote:I always had the impression that Shizune preferred efficiency over appearances.
A notebook and a fountain pen are pretty efficient, if you ask me. Unlike computers and cellphones, these things are cheap, simple and reliable.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

Yes, a pen and paper are efficient, but a cellphone can serve numerous other functions.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

I don't know about Japan, but you might be surprised how (relatively) many people don't have cell phones just out of principle, just like how some people prefer staying in touch with friends through old-fashioned paper letters rather than through Facebook or whatever. It does seem to fit Shizune's personality that she'd want to do things the traditional way or the way that she prefers, even at the expense of efficiency if necessary, because she's nothing if not stubborn.

Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Old fashined ways are more fun. Letters seem more personal and coming-from-the-heart then the new stuff.
Ah, great. now laugh at how the fans will take this as genuine information.
or... is it?
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Smoku wrote:
or... is it?
If Aura said that Emi likes to pick her nose and eat her boogers, the fans would take it as canon.

Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

I actually seem to remember the pad & paper method being mentioned before.
das bruce

Post by das bruce »

Csihar wrote:Emi likes to pick her nose and eat her boogers, the fans would take it as canon.
It is now canon.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

Smoku wrote:Old fashined ways are more fun. Letters seem more personal and coming-from-the-heart then the new stuff.
or... is it?
Wait, it isn't already cannon?

Shizune is shown using her notepad in Act 1.