Characters' musical tastes?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

kosherbacon

Re: Characters' musical tastes?

Post by kosherbacon »

-abscess wrote: I'd need some band names to get me going. Punk rock (or "rawk" in this case) is a big genre.
I was hoping you'd find this thread.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

-abscess wrote:
Csihar wrote:
delta wrote:Also Emi being a punk rawker is almost canon. Ask Hive.
Do want. Someone please run with this on the Shimmie. :D
I'd need some band names to get me going. Punk rock (or "rawk" in this case) is a big genre.
My Chemical Romance
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Caesius wrote:
-abscess wrote:I'd need some band names to get me going. Punk rock (or "rawk" in this case) is a big genre.
My Chemical Romance
No.

How about the Ramones? I figure she'd be more of a Ramones girl than a Sex Pistols girl.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Well, it's Emi we're talking here...
I'm guessing she'd like J-rock. and some "harder" j- pops too. Some vocaloids, for example.

Or maybe System of a down.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Concerning Shizune... I really have to wonder if there's genres or even specific songs that one could determine that deaf people in general like. Also, is there a rift between the musical tastes of those who were born deaf, and those who went deaf later? Would someone who went deaf later continue to like the music they liked before? And for someone who was born deaf, could you reasonably determine if they would like or dislike a song by studying the lower portion of its spectrogram without hearing the song yourself?

Edit: This probably has less to do with Shizune and more to do with deaf people in general, in which case lol derail.
Last edited by Caesius on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Caesius wrote: My Chemical Romance
That's missing the target in such an incredible way I can't even articulate it.

NOFX, Pennywise, Against Me!, Dillinger Four, American Steel, um... Bomb the Music Industry!.... There are more but I can't be bothered to really spend a lot of time on this. Go look them up. BtMI even release all their albums for free. No excuse not to look at them.

Of Note: A lot Emi's path has been written to Dillinger Four's CIVILWAR album. This track specifically.

Right, I've done my good deed for the day.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Caesius wrote:Concerning Shizune... I really have to wonder if there's genres or even specific songs that one could determine that deaf people in general like. Also, is there a rift between the musical tastes of those who were born deaf, and those who went deaf later? Would someone who went deaf later continue to like the music they liked before? And for someone who was born deaf, could you reasonably determine if they would like or dislike a song by studying the lower portion of its spectrogram without hearing the song yourself?
Good questions. I have no idea about any of that, but something tells me most deaf people (born deaf anyway) just wouldn't be very interested in music anyway, like how blind people probably wouldn't be very interested in visual art. There would still be ways to perceive it - descriptions, maybe touching the canvas for paintings or things with texture - but since your perception of it would be so limited and secondhand, much of the appeal would be missing. Or maybe it would be like, say, my own appreciation for difficult feats of complex math, like the kind of shit they give people Nobel Prizes for (think Good Will Hunting). I definitely appreciate the level of skill that goes into it, but since I don't comprehend math well at all my level of interest isn't very high, whereas the same stuff might make a math major cream his proverbial pants.

Of course, I'm probably way off base and Shizune's actually a huge Lady Gaga fan or something. *shudder*

Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Blind people can certainly appreciate 3D art, or any art which has a "touch" element to it. The fact that they aren't able to experience and appreciate 2D art is akin to the way deaf people aren't able to experience higher frequencies of music, especially when it's drowned out by lower frequencies. Although it's true that deaf people are less interested in music the same way blind people are less interested in visual art, the potential is still there, even if it's severely handicapped.

By the way, if you're interested, there was a long discussion about this about a year ago, featuring a real deaf girl: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?t=1446

Edit: Though it should be noted that she only speaks for herself regarding music as opposed to deaf people in general, hence my questions. Too bad she isn't still around.
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

I haven't read the whole thread in your link, so this may have been answered, but wouldn't many of them like songs for the lyrics they have, and not the actual ~vibrations~?

I hope I didn't miss this being mentioned in this thread (so I don't make a fool of myself), but if I were deaf, I'd imagine I'd like songs for their lyrics as opposed to the physical feeling of them.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Scarlet Fox wrote:I haven't read the whole thread in your link, so this may have been answered, but wouldn't many of them like songs for the lyrics they have, and not the actual ~vibrations~?

I hope I didn't miss this being mentioned in this thread (so I don't make a fool of myself), but if I were deaf, I'd imagine I'd like songs for their lyrics as opposed to the physical feeling of them.
Yeah, I'd imagine so too. A lot of song lyrics don't have much value as stand-alone poetry, but those that do would be great, especially when the artist's singing voice can be a hurdle for some people (Bob Dylan, Joanna Newsom, Conor Oberst, etc).

-abscess

Post by -abscess »

TheHivemind wrote:NOFX, Pennywise, Against Me!, Dillinger Four, American Steel, um... Bomb the Music Industry!
Jesus fucking christ.... some of those strike some elemental chords in me. It's been some time since I've gone to ska-punk concerts, but blood's still boiling it seems.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Scarlet Fox wrote:I haven't read the whole thread in your link, so this may have been answered, but wouldn't many of them like songs for the lyrics they have, and not the actual ~vibrations~?

The deaf girl said that she specifically hated listening to vocal music that wasn't sung live because it felt strange to have voice vibrations come out of a "box." (And yes, deaf people can tell the difference between the voice and other instruments; on spectrals the voice stands out as well.) She also said that the vibrations were indeed the pleasurable part of music, and that she (as well as other deaf people) would turn the bass up real loud.

Also why would a deaf person listen to music for the lyrics? It's not like they'd be able to follow along or anything.
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

Huh, that's interesting. I guess it makes sense you can tell the difference between the vibrations and like them if you think about it, but I never really thought about the difference of live performances and say something like headphones.

I didn't say for them to listen to it, I said for them to like it. Like you can read stories to yourself and you can still like them without reading it out loud - though I guess music is a little more than a tad different.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Scarlet Fox wrote:I didn't say for them to listen to it, I said for them to like it. Like you can read stories to yourself and you can still like them without reading it out loud - though I guess music is a little more than a tad different.
This doesn't make sense. How can you decide whether or not you like a song before you listen to it? The lyrics tell you next to nothing, and a lot of songs have no lyrics at all. Case in point: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/daftpunk ... world.html
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Caesius wrote:
Scarlet Fox wrote:I didn't say for them to listen to it, I said for them to like it. Like you can read stories to yourself and you can still like them without reading it out loud - though I guess music is a little more than a tad different.
This doesn't make sense. How can you decide whether or not you like a song before you listen to it? The lyrics tell you next to nothing, and a lot of songs have no lyrics at all. Case in point: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/daftpunk ... world.html
I think it'd more along the lines of just taking the lyrics as stand-alone poetry, although a lot of songs sound great out loud but pretty retarded on paper (Led Zeppelin or early Beatles are prime examples).