So, that new Yuuko.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Csihar

Re: So, that new Yuuko.

Post by Csihar »

Shades of Grey wrote:
moekki wrote:if you look carefully at the concept art on the act 1 title screen, you'll see yuuko was intended to have her current hairstyle in alot of the early concept art.
also, we're not going to be "upgrading" rin or any of the other heriones, so don't worry. redrawing sprites leads to a cycle of endless development.
That ... actually a tad worrying. While most of the sprites are fine as they are, there are some problem cases still. Namely, Lilly's hand when she puts it to her mouth and Hanako's disproportionately thin arms.
Hanako's arms might just be a matter of her being noodle people, but Lilly's wrist definitely needs a little editing, which would be a pretty quick and easy fix anyway. I'm thinking it's more the replacing of full sets of sprites like with Emi and Yuuko that the devs are against, and understandably, because that would be a pain in the ass.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

-abscess

Post by -abscess »

Csihar wrote:noodle people
.... Y'know, I was planning on taking a shower.... 2 hours ago. Thanks for the link. Luckily my connection got hiccups again and can't load tvtropes at the moment!

Anyway, I still think it'd be appropriate a new paint job to at least Rin and Lilly.
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

Csihar wrote:
Shades of Grey wrote:
moekki wrote:if you look carefully at the concept art on the act 1 title screen, you'll see yuuko was intended to have her current hairstyle in alot of the early concept art.
also, we're not going to be "upgrading" rin or any of the other heriones, so don't worry. redrawing sprites leads to a cycle of endless development.
That ... actually a tad worrying. While most of the sprites are fine as they are, there are some problem cases still. Namely, Lilly's hand when she puts it to her mouth and Hanako's disproportionately thin arms.
Hanako's arms might just be a matter of her being noodle people, but Lilly's wrist definitely needs a little editing, which would be a pretty quick and easy fix anyway. I'm thinking it's more the replacing of full sets of sprites like with Emi and Yuuko that the devs are against, and understandably, because that would be a pain in the ass.
Even if that was the intention of the artists, Hanako's torso is normal, of not a tad wide, compared to her head. by comparison her arms are almost twigs in several of her sprites. Also, none of the other characters are anything similar to noodle people.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
CindehQ

Post by CindehQ »

Well I personally LOVE Yuuko's new sprite. The quality of the art is just so much better and I think the design is a perfect fit for her personality. She strikes me as a stressed out, socially-awkward girl and her old design didn't really show that in clothes or facial expressions and was more generic anime. It's also nice to see her look age-appropriate for her job, her old sprite made her look younger then the main cast which always bothered me a little. Yes, her sprite isn't conventionally cute like before and she dresses in ugly, frumpy (whose there to impress at a library anyways), but considering she isn't a character you're ever going to bang at any point in the story, is that really an issue?

...and of course BOOBS.

I'm probably just biased because she looks a bit like me with red hair. > _ >
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

CindehQ wrote:her old sprite made her look younger then the main cast which always bothered me a little.
I always thought it was symbolic of how ill-prepared for independance she is. She's like a nervous child forced to life the life of an adult. Her being tiny and soft-looking on top of being a spaz was kind of funny, I thought.
Anonymous22
sounds kinda gay

Post by Anonymous22 »

Your mom is symbolic.
hurr durr
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

That doesn't even make sense!
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Caesius wrote:That doesn't even make sense!
It's A22, we will never really know what he meant.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Caesius wrote:That doesn't even make sense!
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

The old one was better. Emi really was the only Act 1 character in need of an overhaul.
Sleet

Post by Sleet »

EternalLurker wrote:Welcome back, Sleet. Been a couple months. Care to explain how lack of ironing = realism and consistent arm lengths =/= realism? I'm still not getting this.
Good to be back. Somehow I can't stay away from KS for long.

I suppose the difference is more in the art style itself than technical differences. The new ones appear more intricately detailed in some parts, like hair and eyes, with coloration and sketch-like style that makes it look more human. Whereas the older ones seem more impressionistic; not as anatomically accurate or believable, what with the dinner plate eyes and the like, but there was a stylistic charm in there. The only issue I have with the changes would be that other sprites are done in the old style, and I don't think I want to see them go. I love how gently most of the colors meld, it gives a better impression of the ambient lighting.
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

Sleet wrote:I love how gently most of the colors meld, it gives a better impression of the ambient lighting.
Yeah, the old sprites had a softer and smoother look to them. I think this might have been partially due to their lines being cleaner and more blended with the rest of their colors.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
UNIT0918

Post by UNIT0918 »

Aww damn. I was hoping Yuuko's design wouldn't be changed, because she's practically my favorite non-main girl in the visual novel, mostly because of her adorable moe-blob design. I agree that the new Yuuko doesn't feel like the same person anymore.

Well, I (think) I'll grow to live with this, because I still do like this design. I just greatly prefer the older one.
Seeing that more people are using Valkyria Chronicles avatars, I'll follow suit.