The Friend Zone ending

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Caesius

Re: The Friend Zone ending

Post by Caesius »

Aura wrote:Coincidentally, both of the mentioned trends in visual novels are pretty damn retarded.
Well then why don't you do something about it.

wait...
Member22

Post by Member22 »

Caesius wrote:
Aura wrote:Coincidentally, both of the mentioned trends in visual novels are pretty damn retarded.

wait...
Speaking of endings. I just recently started playing VN's (starting with KS). I have to say that the VN with one of the most powerful endings was the Tsugumi and the bad ending in Ever17 (escape from infinity) because it had no mid-game/early endings and because any bad decisions you make would come back to royally kick you in the ass at the end.... Take the bad ending for instance:

SPOILER ALERT - for those who did not play ever17 yet
1. You turn the dials incorrectly (anti-clockwise vs. clockwise)
2. Neglect Tsugumi even after she is injured
3. Hit the Kid during the argument near the ending
4. i.e make stupid and harsh decisions over the course of the game.

Now, how all this applies to KS endings? Well, NO EARLY ENDINGS, because its better for all bad decisions to be carried later and their effects begin to show up near the end of the game, for a more powerful plot.
Last edited by Suriko on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: We have this really cool and awesome and fantastic spoiler tag.
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
Janemba

Post by Janemba »

Wonderful.
Janemba

Post by Janemba »

Caesius wrote:

wait...

Nah it makes sense
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I for one would not be bothered by a more realistic bad ending, due to something like Hisao and the girl in question splitting up after feeling their relationship wouldn't be getting anywhere or one of the two isn't ready for a more serious relationship. It may be close to home, but if I want total escapism, I'll read stories that take place in a more outragous setting. In a way, an ending that involves a breakup and ends on a somber note may actually be more dramatic than an ending where a girl turns yandere and slashes stuff up, since the latter is also slightly less plausible while the former may indeed hit a personal spot with some people.
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

then what is not retarded? That non- retardiness is achievable by human kind VN developing? :P
Member22

Post by Member22 »

Smoku wrote:then what is not retarded? That non- retardiness is achievable by human kind VN developing? :P
I think non-retardedness for VN's is basically no supernatural/out of the ordinary stuff like spirits, ghosts or time travel... I had my share of confusion thanks to Ever17... I don't want KS confusing me either.
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
Pimping Negro

Post by Pimping Negro »

Personally I want a harem end.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Friend Zone ending has not that much potential for the drama we all desire to see in a good story. In my opinion such an ending would be pretty neutral in regards to the emotional impact for the player, which incidentally begs the question if there are several different versions like the "good", "bad" or "true" endings like so many other Visual Novels practice it.

But for the most part I am on G3n0c1de's side and agree with what he posted in this thread before.

Just to illustrate what different takes on endings can be made, let me link to some slightly older stuff:

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1673
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=360
(2 two pieces of fiction written by cpl_crud)

http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -time.html
(and a very insightful blogpost from Aura)
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Whether you call it a good ending or bad ending; my opinion is any ending that hits me with some sort of emotional response besides the thought that, "I wasted how many hours of my life to get to THIS???" will meet my personal definition of a "Good ending". Too much entertainment I pay for already leaves me wondering how to get a refund on the time I spent watching it.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

That's the least satisfying type of ending for a VN I can think of: death, dismemberment, and separation included. I've already gotten that end more times than I care to count in real life, give me something else. VNs are supposed to be idealistic, not realistic; if the relationship, the sole reason I'm in that world controlling the protagonist in the first place, isn't going to happen then by all means, turn one of us into a smoking crater, a greasy red splat mark, or a misanthropic antihero. I recently played Saya no Uta, and out of the three endings only the one where she gives birth and turns the world into tentacle hell struck me as being even bittersweet. Not because anyone was actually better off in that end, in fact that's the worst end for pretty much all of the characters, but because that end manifested the love between the two main characters more than the other two.

Hisao doesn't need to be executed every time the player fucks things up, but failed playthroughs should end with a bang, not a whimper.