Hanako's no-scars ending?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Anon

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by Anon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:42 pm

She could still have trauma from the death of her father in the fire. Delicious yandere action, anyone?

User avatar
lurk moar
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:17 pm
Location: In front of a computer

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by lurk moar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Guest22 wrote:In terms of canon, devs/writers should check the wikipedia page, it says Rin's arms were amputated due to a birth defect, which is wrong IMO... I cannot recall any inherited defects that warrant amputation, mostly injury and infection/gangrene, but not defects.
They don't have to be inherited, birth defects cam arise from a variety of factors, and work in strange ways.

Remember that Hanako's entire side is covered with burn scars. Even if she could afford reconstructive surgery, she might still have some sort of psychological complex. I'm willing to accept a simple "there are complications that make it unfeasible to conduct reconstructive surgery on Hanako."

Guest22

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by Guest22 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Guest wrote:How could you not love the scars?
Without them she wouldn't be Hanako.
She would be just another shy anime girl that holds little to no significance.
True, true... Its what makes her unique.

Guest22

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by Guest22 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:13 pm

lurk moar wrote:
Guest22 wrote:In terms of canon, devs/writers should check the wikipedia page, it says Rin's arms were amputated due to a birth defect, which is wrong IMO... I cannot recall any inherited defects that warrant amputation, mostly injury and infection/gangrene, but not defects.
They don't have to be inherited, birth defects cam arise from a variety of factors, and work in strange ways.

Remember that Hanako's entire side is covered with burn scars. Even if she could afford reconstructive surgery, she might still have some sort of psychological complex. I'm willing to accept a simple "there are complications that make it unfeasible to conduct reconstructive surgery on Hanako."
The money factor is definately a deterring one... as the price tag is up to the level of celebrities' budgets.

and yeah... the psychological complex would definately be a problem, one that might... or would, persist her entire lifetime, but as long Hisao is there for her, then she's happy

User avatar
Wreckusu
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by Wreckusu » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Guest22 wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:RAITA called Rin a thalidomide child. The current canon simply calls it a birth defect and surgery.
Like what was previously said, thalidomide was used a long time back as a morning sickness. Thal can cause shortening of BOTH arms and legs, or a one pair of limbs, so I agree...

In terms of canon, devs/writers should check the wikipedia page, it says Rin's arms were amputated due to a birth defect, which is wrong IMO... I cannot recall any inherited defects that warrant amputation, mostly injury and infection/gangrene, but not defects.
Well as stated it doesn't have to be inherited. At any rate depending on the defect the decision to amputate simply could have been made to give her a better quality of life. I can't think of anything offhand that might warrant this for the arms but I remember a story about a young girl who had a leg amputated below the knee because a condition early in life had resulted in multiple fractures causing one leg to be 7cm shorter than the other one. Odd as it may be sometimes it's actually better to chop shit off than try and live with defective limbs.
Image

Guest22

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by Guest22 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Wreckusu wrote:
Guest22 wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:RAITA called Rin a thalidomide child. The current canon simply calls it a birth defect and surgery.
Like what was previously said, thalidomide was used a long time back as a morning sickness. Thal can cause shortening of BOTH arms and legs, or a one pair of limbs, so I agree...

In terms of canon, devs/writers should check the wikipedia page, it says Rin's arms were amputated due to a birth defect, which is wrong IMO... I cannot recall any inherited defects that warrant amputation, mostly injury and infection/gangrene, but not defects.
Well as stated it doesn't have to be inherited. At any rate depending on the defect the decision to amputate simply could have been made to give her a better quality of life. I can't think of anything offhand that might warrant this for the arms but I remember a story about a young girl who had a leg amputated below the knee because a condition early in life had resulted in multiple fractures causing one leg to be 7cm shorter than the other one. Odd as it may be sometimes it's actually better to chop shit off than try and live with defective limbs.
There are certain inherited conditions affecting bones at young age, but mostly are treated with bone shortening/lengthening... but, yeah, good point, its sometimes better to literally cut shit off lol...

User avatar
DESU
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:48 am
Location: The Desucave
Contact:

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by DESU » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:21 pm

if you don't love hanako scars and all, then you don't love hanako.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.

User avatar
Merlyn_LeRoy
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:39 pm

For what it's worth, an online LA law firm that specializes in amputation cases says "Four-percent (4%) of amputations are surgically performed because of birth defects or congenital deformities. Another four-percent of the Los Angeles amputations are preventative and used to reduce or eliminate bone or muscle tumors from spreading."

So it's not the most common cause, but non-zero. Tumors, exposed bones, or other possibilities of infection would justify amputation at birth, I'd say.

User avatar
EternalLurker
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: Willfully lost
Contact:

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by EternalLurker » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Guest wrote:How could you not love the scars?
Without them she wouldn't be Hanako.
She would be just another shy anime girl that holds little to no significance.
I thought KS was NOT about defining people by their disabilities. Holy shit, dude.

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by Aura » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:07 pm

KS defines people by their disabilities approximately as much as Kanon defines people by their speech idiosyncrasies. What anyone gets out of it is left as an exercise for the reader.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

anotherguest

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by anotherguest » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:34 pm

russianspy1234 wrote:presumably KS doesnt take place in the present because rin is a thalidomide baby and it was discontinued in 1961
Life of Pi, which Hanako is reading in the library, wasn't published until 2001.

User avatar
G3n0c1de
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 1:15 am
Location: How are ya?

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by G3n0c1de » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:06 pm

The game takes place in 2007.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.

User avatar
DESU
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:48 am
Location: The Desucave
Contact:

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by DESU » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:14 am

anotherguest wrote:
russianspy1234 wrote:presumably KS doesnt take place in the present because rin is a thalidomide baby and it was discontinued in 1961
Life of Pi, which Hanako is reading in the library, wasn't published until 2001.
she was reading life of Pi?
how do I not catch these things?
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.

User avatar
Caesius
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by Caesius » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:36 am

I have seen someone walking around my university who has severe burn scars on his entire face. Not "lol barbeque'd" like Hanako, but post-reconstructive surgery scars. He looks a lot like this woman.

Simply put, there will probably not be a point in Hanako's life where she will have "no scars." They might become less barbeque'd but they'd still be pretty obvious.
Image

User avatar
Spindrift
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:31 am
Location: how's it goin'

Re: Hanako's no-scars ending?

Post by Spindrift » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:37 am

DESU wrote:
anotherguest wrote: Life of Pi, which Hanako is reading in the library, wasn't published until 2001.
she was reading life of Pi?
how do I not catch these things?
Hisao only ends up asking her what she's reading if you take the HI HANAKO MY NAME IS HISAO DON'T MIND MY VOLUME option.
Image

Post Reply