are the devs planning to give KS an OP?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ubergeneral

are the devs planning to give KS an OP?

Post by ubergeneral »

Other VN have an opening song. Are you planning on writing a song for the final release?
EternalLurker

Re: are the devs planning to give KS an OP?

Post by EternalLurker »

....... o_O @ KS with lyrics

Since they don't want voice actors, I'm pretty sure a singer would be a no-go too, but I must say I'm amused by the thought. Still, since the opening video is the little hospital scene, any song would have to go there, and that video sounds much better as-is.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

We can't just pull a song like that out of our arses. Someone would need to produce it, which seems very unlikely to happen, especially considering our quality standards (and feisty nature concerning personal tastes).
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Bara

Post by Bara »

Why write a new song when this is so appropriate for the opening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFkgbK7VTmY

Ok, cheap yucks but it amused me. :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
ksotaku100

Post by ksotaku100 »

Aura wrote:We can't just pull a song like that out of our arses. Someone would need to produce it, which seems very unlikely to happen, especially considering our quality standards (and feisty nature concerning personal tastes).
Aura's right about that. It would take them time to produce it. It wouldn't happen, especially with the agenda they have at the moment. It'd be a pain in the butt. But you could produce opening sequences pertaining to Hisao's situation at the moment (at the start of each Act.).
I plan on making an Anime-style FPS/TPS. Cel-shaded 3D Animation and using Source from Valve Corp.

Shizune always reminds me of 2K-tan and Izumi Sawatari.

Battle of Katawa, a mecha RPG-Strategy-Action Game. (Named after Battle of Sunrise.)
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

I dunno. I think the stuff with the hospital and medical instruments makes for a better opening than any song could really be - especially after Hisao passes out and you don't really know what's wrong with him. besides, I think any attempt to get across what the game feels like in lyrics would just come off as cheesy. the quiet, subtle intro movie works. why mess with it? :mrgreen:
Bara wrote:Why write a new song when this is so appropriate for the opening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFkgbK7VTmY

...dude. that is so many different kinds of wrong. :shock: Weird Al is awesome, but... no. lots of no.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

:( IS it wrong that the first two songs that came to mind were Achy Breaky Heart and Kick Start my heart?

:lol: Yeah probably.

Anyway i'd have to agree on Aura as well. It just wouldn't fit in any where. Plus even if they deiced to put a song it, i don't think they'd all agree on one. But thats just my opinion. :wink:

Also long before this topic was made, i was considering making a parody opening with flash. But do to my busy schedule i haven't gone around to it.
abscess

Post by abscess »

I don't see why it'd have to be a song when instrumental music would be more than enough.
As for animation, True Remembrance's intro was mostly stills bieng dragged around and some CG doves. It wasn't fancy, but it was enjoyable enough to make me fire up the game, watch the intro then close it.
But Merc is right, the hospital sequence serves as an intro anyway. Moving stills, a few animations, instrumental music... it's been already done.
Siiiiigh....
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

I can kind of see the OP's point, but at the same time, the hospital intro does a great job of pulling the player in and making them realize this game isn't just "using" disabilities to create an illusion of depth. If the OP wasn't made to absolute top standards, I think it would actually be a distraction from that quiet, mesmerizing intro. (plus, the simple animations of the intro are so well done that any cheaply done OP animations would look way out of place)
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

F/SN didn't have any vocalized music. Just sayin'.
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

tough it had an intro, with a song with vocals.
Juno

Post by Juno »

I guess it could work, provided it's not a JPOP song but something like this.
Wokka

Post by Wokka »

Bara wrote:Why write a new song when this is so appropriate for the opening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFkgbK7VTmY

I think they could run with this and use Weird Al songs for a lot of the scenes.

For example:
Opening: Like a Surgeon (as already mentioned)
Shanghai scenes: Girls Just Want to Have Lunch (or Eat It)
Risk scene: I Lost on Jeopardy
Rin's ending: Alternative Polka
Introducing yourself to Hanako: One More Moment
Rooftop Lunch with Emi and Rin: This is the Life (Eat It works here also)
and just because it's a meme...any scene with Misha: Fat (couldn't help myself)

Can anyone think of any others? It's been a long time since I listened to Weird Al so I'm sure I missed a lot.

Wokka
(sorry for the tangent, this made me giggle)
You know, like Pac Man: wokka wokka wokka wokka

Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Smoku wrote:tough it had an intro, with a song with vocals.
Huh, yeah, it's been so long that I forgot F/SN even had an OP. Shows you how trivial the OP is in the larger scheme of the project, anyway, especially compared to the KS intro which had a lot more context to it.
ubergeneral

Post by ubergeneral »

How hard could it be? You could always ask 4chan or something

ok maybe not 4chan

either way anime series seems to poop good ones out faster than capcom can make crappy Megaman Battle network sequals.

I do think that KS needs a catchy song at the beginning.