Is Anyone Else Afraid To Go Further?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

StixNStones

Is Anyone Else Afraid To Go Further?

Post by StixNStones »

I'm almost embarassed to admit it, but the demo made me cry, several times. That having been said, I'm kinda scared to move forward. I feel that if Act 1 was like this, what am I going to have to face in the future? I don't think I'll be able to resist moving on, of course, I've fallen in love with Hanako, but it's just sort of one of those things where it scares me how much power this story could have over my emotions. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I a sissy girly-man?
Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Re: Is Anyone Else Afraid To Go Further?

Post by Pimmy »

I'm curious as to what parts made you sad!
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I'm with Pimmy...the game had a few powerful moments, but none of them made me sad.
Bug Pope

Post by Bug Pope »

Rin's ending made a bit wet in the eyes, but it wasn't because of it was sad. It was more like a single tear because it was so beautiful. Otherwise, the only part that actually made me feel bad was Kenji's end, because it hit a bit closer to home than I was comfortable with. I could indentify with it, and that was depressing.
Bimber

Post by Bimber »

I cant stand to watch the credits anymore. You know, just got your favorite ending, happy music, wheeeeeeee and then it suddenly hits you: You have to wait for the game to come out so you can see the rest.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

I would just like to point out that nowhere in the original post did the author say those were tears of sadness. They may have been tears of joy, or awesome. Perhaps while reading a good scene he got especially into the story, and his emotions let loose.

As for going ahead with the story, I'd reccomend it. The demo was only a small taste of the greatness that is KS. You may be emotional about it, but the game will have it's ups and downs, and will reach a satisfying conclusion. Getting your buttons pressed by it is a part of the ride.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Zahlman

Post by Zahlman »

Rin's ending *is* beautiful. TBH the others are almost a letdown after you get Rin. Especially Emi. -.-

That said, I like how the endings are done in general. They feel like reasonable ways to end the story for now, but not so final as to prevent anticipation of the rest. :)
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

Well, both me and a friend of mine tend to skip over the intro when doing replays because that part is depressing, but it doesn't mean I would avoid the final release. Sometimes things making you sad is the point.
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Tears are not only a sign of sadness but also indicate just being emotionally moved by the story (like G3noc1de said)
Not one VN squeezed tears through my eyes yet but KS is moving.
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Tears or no, I'm ready for more so bring it on. I wanna see how my chess match with Hanako ends, even if it ends in tears. :P
Sleet

Post by Sleet »

Bimber wrote:I cant stand to watch the credits anymore. You know, just got your favorite ending, happy music, wheeeeeeee and then it suddenly hits you: You have to wait for the game to come out so you can see the rest.
Hey, at least it's not over. I retain my belief that it will come out, and they're not just going to pull a Duke Nukem Forever on us. Imagine how sad it would be if Act 1 was all that was made?

And yes, since I'm such an emotional wimp, I got dewy several times as well. Not actual tears, but it's been so lovely and emotional that I've welled up on many occasions. Rin's ending, Hanako actually talking to Hisao, Shizune's beautiful ending, and... just how insanely amazing Rin is.
Petersaber

Post by Petersaber »

While beautiful, Act 1 didn't make me cry. Some moments gave me watery eyes, but no tears.

But yeah, the fact that we still have to wait a long time was like a slap to the face. God, I hope this project won't turn into another Black Mesa Source.
I am here to say what hundreds of others have already said.
StixNStones

Post by StixNStones »

I'd have to play through KS again to cite specific examples of where I teared up (haven't played in a while, came to the site just recently to see if a new part was released and stumbled upon the forums), but I know for sure that a couple of parts were the beginning scene and the end scene with Kenji. I should probably play through again anyway, just because I loved the experience so much the first time, and my memory has worn off enough that it'll be enjoyable to play again even with the same story-line. I guess I am the only person actually afraid of moving on, it's just that I prefer when my emotions are my own to control, and KS tends to cause strong emotional response from me, and that's something I don't usually experience, and often even try to disconnect from. It's probably silly, but that's my excuse. I'll still move on because I can't leave a good book unfinished, so I'll just need to be ready for the sudden, unexpected, and sometimes unwelcome, welling up of tears, or coldness in the chest, or goosebumps, and all the other physical responses that come as a result of the various strong emotions this game incites.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who teared up. I don't actually cry cry, like, ever, but tears often streamed down my face. It wasn't, like, a breakdown like some people may have imagined.
Tsundere Lightning

Post by Tsundere Lightning »

It was a moving game, definitely. The "take 2 pills daily or die" scene especially resonated with me.

I am sort of afraid of seeing what the Emi path will look like in the final version: I felt more affection than lust for the character. (The new sprite helps.) I'm willing to give it a shot, though.
Shizune apologist, Rin fan, semipro visual novelist, noted attention whore

I write KS fanfic. I preread KS fanfic. PM me with requests for either.
delta wrote: I've been caustic and mean since before 4chan even existed.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

Shizune's ending sat well with me. The animation was perfect along with the right words to convey her feelings, Hisao's feelings, through the monitor and into my mind.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."