An option for the blind?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

rustyarmor

An option for the blind?

Post by rustyarmor »

I find it a bit odd that a game with one of the characters being blind and there is no support for the blind. The most obvious way and probably the only way is a full cast of voice actors, which would add 100+ hours onto the creation of the game which is the last thing we need. I'm sure there are many fans who would love to be the different voices of the characters (me being one of them haha). Just an idea but with the amount of stuff on the devs plate, I doubt it would even be considered.
bitpeg

Re: An option for the blind?

Post by bitpeg »

Didn't the devs already say that they're not going to have it be voiced? Hold on...

Yeah, it's in the FAQ. Not trying to sound like a douche, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just lock this thread.
These fermions smell positively ionic.
rustyarmor

Post by rustyarmor »

yeah probably should have read the FAQ before that. I had a feeling the were already deciding not to. Oh well cest la vie
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

I know nothing about text/text an image in Ren'py, but I imagine it would be waaay easier just to allow assistance for the blind narration programs to read the script out than to actually voice it.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Voices have been addressed before; suffice to say, there's no chance at all of them being added.

There's a slim chance AGTH (Anime Game Text Hooker) may be able to hook into the displayed text... but I haven't tried it personally.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Wait...how about an option for people without arms? The game features a girl without arms, so I hereby demand that the full version of KS supports control through spoken commands. For the burn victims maybe we should add a feature that sends your system's cooler into overdrive.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

Rin can use the mouse and keyboard with her feet.

Now we just need a way to accommodate conspiracy nuts.
rustyarmor

Post by rustyarmor »

thats easy, just put a bunch of random things that look like crop circles and free mason stuff. oh and one of the bad ends is 2012
Feminisit Conspirator

Post by Feminisit Conspirator »

rustyarmor wrote:thats easy, just put a bunch of random things that look like crop circles and free mason stuff. oh and one of the bad ends is 2012
Yes....yes.....YEEES!

I approve of this idea.
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

Suriko wrote:Voices have been addressed before; suffice to say, there's no chance at all of them being added.

There's a slim chance AGTH (Anime Game Text Hooker) may be able to hook into the displayed text... but I haven't tried it personally.
Well, since the game prints text by letter by letter rather than by area, it seems like it would, unless the system interaction is somehow heavily encoded.

Edit: could just be me using it wrong, but all I can get is all the threads spitting out "Katawa Shoujo" or "Katawa ShoujoKatawa Shoujo" whenever text comes up.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

100+ hours
Try 100+ DAYS, and that's still very optimistic. For Act 1.
EmP|ty

Post by EmP|ty »

Nice double post Delta.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

I really don't mind the lack of voice actors. I can imagine the characters sounding however the hell I want them to.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

kosherbacon wrote:I can imagine the characters sounding however the hell I want them to.
Shizune is saddened.
[shimmie]872[/shimmie]
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
PyTom
Programming/Tech

Post by PyTom »

Screen reader support is something that's reasonable to add to Ren'Py. I'm not sure if or when I'll get to it, though.

Do we have anyone that's actually waiting for this, or is this just a request out of principle? I'm more motivated to do things when actual, rather than theoretical, people will benefit.
Ren'Py Creator - KS Forum Host