Piano Sheet Music?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Goude

Re: Piano Sheet Music?

Post by Goude »

Yeowch that is difficult sheet. Don't think I'm skilled enough to play that one (without butchering it), but all things in time I suppose.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Can you throw an accidental on the F-natural in the right hand on the second beat of measure 12 of Daylight? It's kinda ambiguous as written. Also, I was just testing it out now, and I think that mimicking the original version's descending quarter notes at the end would be nicer on the first repeat, though the eighth notes are fine for the second. The right hand would be something like "E+Db", "G+Bb", "Bb+G", "Db+F".

I also have an alternate arrangement of the B section of the other piece, though I don't have any time to describe it at the moment. Turns out I'm busier than expected on New Year's Eve, so there are delays in the finished products. (-.-) Apologies. I've at least attached a basic transcription by ear of Lullaby of Open Eyes (sans pedal markings and rolled chords), but it's not arranged at all, aside from doubling up the bass in a couple places. Not that LoOE needs much arranging on a piano, but there are parts which could use a fuller left hand, so I'll update this when I've got time. I'll also put the composer's name on it once I know if this is a Blue piece or a Nicol piece.

On that note, Nicol, you are not nearly credited enough for the work you've done on the music. Just how many pieces are yours?! Blue's name is the only one that shows up in the staff list.

EDIT: Oh, joy. My faith in MuseScore has fallen. Aside from the fact that it apparently doesn't do proper syncopated-pedal marks, it can't do in-chord grace notes. In measures 17 and 18, those grace notes should be part of the subsequent chords. I'll see if there's any way I can fix that, again when I have lol-free-time D:

DOUBLE-EDIT: *sigh* It appears my piano has gotten more out of tune while I was at college than I previously thought. The lower notes are pretty far off. I'ma need to get this tuned.
Attachments
Lullaby of Open Eyes.pdf
(86.82 KiB) Downloaded 3738 times
Last edited by EternalLurker on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Daylight is one piece that'll I'll definitely have to get back to later, so when I do that I'll put in the fixes you mentioned.

Lullaby of Open Eyes was one of the pieces that I just wrote very sloppily to begin with, and there were parts where the melody just came out totally wrong on paper. I never got to fixing it because when crud sampled it, the instrument he chose for the melody actually had such a slow attack that it became background ambience. This version ended up sounding better than my original, so I just left it be.

The reason I'm credited under Special Thanks on the website, is because the website staff list is the current 4ls staff list, and I left 4ls months ago. Pretty sure I should still be credited under 'Music' in Katawa Shoujo, though. I was the first composer to get a decent amount of stuff out, and ended up replacing the original few tracks that were used in the game way back before Grid 1, and continued to work on it for about a year. Blue didn't come around until a few months ago, (just a few weeks after I left iirc) so not too many of the tracks in Act 1 are his, although I'd assume he's continued to write more for the other acts.

Also, so to hear about the piano :(
Yuuki

Post by Yuuki »

Nicol Armarfi wrote:Finished an arrangement of Parity
t-thank you very much ^^ playing it as my first song on the ocarina, and i failed to get some notes ^^
once, I said nothing...and so much has changed since that day.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Oh jeez. I don't think that arrangement is exactly compatible with the ocarina. o_O G'luck.
Yuuki

Post by Yuuki »

i can read/read the notes.
needed a little help...but, it was more of an adaptation ^^

P.S wait..read?, lol i ment hear, and heard.
once, I said nothing...and so much has changed since that day.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

So yeah, Nicol, I see you're still in the Music section of the Credits page. It'd be nice if the Jukebox had credits, though. When you click on a song and "Now Playing ____" shows up at the top, it could say "Now Playing: <Song> - <Artist>". I'll post that in the Feedback thread if the devs don't see it here, though it's quite likely they will. Anyway, your name's now on the PDF on my comp, so I'll update that post if I decide to flesh out the left hand; otherwise I'll just add your name and call it a day until inspiration strikes.

Got a hasty recording of LoOE up on MediaFire, though again my piano's somewhat out of tune. (-.-) It matters little; the bigger issue is that it's been months since I've played, as I've been away at college, so I'm horribly rusty at the moment. Plus I was holding back a sneeze the entire time, so I rushed the end and played the left hand far too softly, which sounds horrible. I'll rerecord it tomorrow without the itchy nose and all the fail if I have time, updating that link. Otherwise, I'll definitely have this and one other (maybe Painful History and my transcription of it, since everyone likes that piece so much) by Sunday.

EDIT: Oh, and I apologize for the file size; it's not compressed at all. >_>
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

EternalLurker wrote:So yeah, Nicol, I see you're still in the Music section of the Credits page. It'd be nice if the Jukebox had credits, though. When you click on a song and "Now Playing ____" shows up at the top, it could say "Now Playing: <Song> - <Artist>".
We don't credit the individual artists or writers either for whatever little bit each has done.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Finished Stride (http://nicol.chendo.net/music/KS%20Piano/Stride/), probably the most annoying of the set, given the thing instrumentation of the original. Worked out fine in the end, though, but it loses some of the drive from the lack of percussion.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Yay. Stride is one of my two favorite KS pieces. ^_^

Okay, so, yeah. Ignore my earlier optimism. I will not have enough free time to work on these until Tuesday at the earliest. (-.-) On the bright side, that's because my parents will be leaving for like a week, so I'll have a lot of free time after Tuesday.
The Chemist

Post by The Chemist »

Nicol, who are your musical inspirations? Like, I thought I heard some late 1800s European influences (Koshkin mainly) in some of the more classically oriented pieces.
ZystraL wrote:It was an awesome scenario. Sitting on green grass staring at the clouds...with a laptop slowly burning your junk and giving you testicular cancer.
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Throughout the time I've been studying music, Beethoven, Chopin and Prokofiev have probably been my main influences (from the classical periods). More modern influences would probably be most of the console RPG composers (Uematsu, Sakimoto, etc.)
LeeEzekiel

Post by LeeEzekiel »

Great work on the songs Mr Armarfi. Thanks for the sheet music; I've always wanted to play Painful History but I suck at playing by ear.
Devvy

Post by Devvy »

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks Nicol Armarfi and everyone else on the project, beautiful work and keep it up.
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Might as well mention that I am in fact not dead, and still working on this. I've been slowed down by a case of "don't give a fuck", but I've managed to complete an arrangement of Nocturne. You can get it here: http://nicol.chendo.net/music/KS%20Piano/Nocturne. It's a little more difficult than the others I've arranged thus far, but it's a nice listen regardless of whether or not you can play it. Right now I'm debating whether I should bother arranging "Concord". It seems to be a favourite, but personally I've always detested the bloody thing. If someone else wants to arrange it I'd be glad to pass them over the MIDI of it, but if not I'll get to doing it myself... eventually.

Also if you have not heard Oscar Peterson's "Hymn to Freedom" you need to do that right now.

EDIT: Just finished "Moment of Decision", otherwise known as "that song that plays before you fall off a building". You can grab it here: http://nicol.chendo.net/music/KS%20Pian ... 20Decision. There's a difficult passage on she second page with some wide jumps (up to two octaves), but other than that the difficulty isn't too bad. Again, a nice listen if you can't play it.