Piano Sheet Music?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

guest13

Re: Piano Sheet Music?

Post by guest13 »

I just got an A+ for my solo performance of Parity at school.

I would definitely recommend learning Parity since it's a very fun song to play.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm extremely new to the piano (I've wanted to learn for a long time and KS actually made me go and start it). Unfortunately, I cannot read sheet music. At all.
How many .midi's are out there for various songs from this game? I've been able to learn Breathlessly by examining them in Synthesia and memorizing the keys. I could play it pretty well after a few days.

How many of them are there, and is there an easy way to translate sheet music to .midi? I'd appreciate any insight and assistance! :lol:
Sk3tch

Post by Sk3tch »

Vic wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm extremely new to the piano (I've wanted to learn for a long time and KS actually made me go and start it). Unfortunately, I cannot read sheet music. At all.
How many .midi's are out there for various songs from this game? I've been able to learn Breathlessly by examining them in Synthesia and memorizing the keys. I could play it pretty well after a few days.

How many of them are there, and is there an easy way to translate sheet music to .midi? I'd appreciate any insight and assistance! :lol:
Realistically, you should just learn how to sightread. Once you get the basics you can just slowly work from there. Once you get the basics it's super simply and you can ask us for any clarifications. As far as .midi's go, I don't know. You should check THIS page for anything. It's a consolidated list of all of the stuff posted in this thread.
Emi Couch to 5k : W4D1 Completed
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Before he can sight read anything he'll probably have to learn how to read music first :lol:
In fact sight reading can wait until you can play a few pieces fluently imo
Last edited by inquisitivenegro on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Lolzster

Post by Lolzster »

also, the page is unbelievably not up to date with latest transcriptions
ImageImage
Favourite routes: Lilly>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Shizune

Most Feels in route: Lilly>Emi>Hanako>Rin (frustration doesn't count as feels)> Shizune

Yes I love Lilly and hate Shizune... deal with it :)
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Lolzster wrote:also, the page is unbelievably not up to date with latest transcriptions
Nobody came up with any requests, remixes, or performances.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Vic wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a nice old version of Sibelius that can read .pdf or image files in, and also export midi files. If you have one or two you'd like, I'd be happy to make them for you.
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Sk3tch

Post by Sk3tch »

inquisitivenegro wrote:Before he can sight read anything he'll probably have to learn how to learn music first :lol:
We probably have very different definitions of sight reading (Most likely, my definition is just wrong). But for me sight reading went like this "Ok, so middle C is this note on the piano which is the one that is on the bar under the other 5 bars. And this note is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 notes higher". I literally referenced every single note from middle C on both clefs. And learned how to play Moonlight Sonata, Painful History, and a bunch of songs my dad wrote.

If that is not sight reading please tell me so that I can be less wrong.
Emi Couch to 5k : W4D1 Completed
FstrthnU

Post by FstrthnU »

Sk3tch wrote:
inquisitivenegro wrote:Before he can sight read anything he'll probably have to learn how to learn music first :lol:
We probably have very different definitions of sight reading (Most likely, my definition is just wrong). But for me sight reading went like this "Ok, so middle C is this note on the piano which is the one that is on the bar under the other 5 bars. And this note is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 notes higher". I literally referenced every single note from middle C on both clefs. And learned how to play Moonlight Sonata, Painful History, and a bunch of songs my dad wrote.

That's basically it, it's translating the notes on the page into presses of the keys inside your head. You want to read slightly ahead of when you are playing so that you know which keys to press/where to move your hands. Making reference points is extremely useful in sight reading, though eventually you will probably be able to tell what note it is just from seeing and playing it so many times. The main problem comes when you start moving above the top line of the treble clef or the bottom line of the bass clef, which shouldn't be a problem for most of the pieces in this thread.

I had the liberty of a piano teacher, so seeing someone learn it on their own is very, very cool.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Sk3tch wrote:

I'd say that this is a valid (although seemingly-slow) way of sight-reading. I have pretty good absolute pitch recognition, so I taught myself to see the note on the staff and associate it with the pitch it represents. Unfortunately, this goes wrong almost all the time as it's difficult to incorporate time signatures, and I struggle with reading more than 2 notes at once (e.g. when I'm sight-reading multiple voices on a hand, or trying to add a pedal line on organ). I just think everyone has their own way of doing it, and relative pitching is as good as any.
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Sk3tch wrote:

Oh na I thought you meant sight-reading as in receiving an unfamiliar piece of music and playing it on the go.
It's an invaluable skill but some people find it a lot more difficult than others (like myself >.<) so I thought taking time to practise and learn individual songs would be more productive.
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

inquisitivenegro wrote:
Sk3tch wrote:

Oh na I thought you meant sight-reading as in receiving an unfamiliar piece of music and playing it on the go.
It's an invaluable skill but some people find it a lot more difficult than others (like myself >.<) so I thought taking time to practise and learn individual songs would be more productive.
This might just be me but I always found it much easier to listen to the song and play it based off of that rather than sight reading. Mind you I was never amazing at the piano and I probably should have learned to sight read but some people have different ways of learning how to play.
I like helping others, I just hate approaching others.
Lolzster

Post by Lolzster »

Snow_Storm wrote:
Lolzster wrote:also, the page is unbelievably not up to date with latest transcriptions
Nobody came up with any requests, remixes, or performances.
There have been a number of transcriptions and some performances that are not on that list.

For example, student council and moment of decision are not on there
ImageImage
Favourite routes: Lilly>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Shizune

Most Feels in route: Lilly>Emi>Hanako>Rin (frustration doesn't count as feels)> Shizune

Yes I love Lilly and hate Shizune... deal with it :)
Daymaul

Post by Daymaul »

For the sake of keeping this thread going I did some piano performances of some of the music from Katawa Shoujo. They are far from perfect but it's always nice to share and receive constructive criticism considering I'm still fairly new to piano. Go easy on me if they're terrible. :P Enjoy!

Wiosna:
Three Stars:
Innocence:
Nemaru

Post by Nemaru »

Hey^^

is there maybe a midi file of "Parity" ?
I tried to learn the song by the sheets but actually I´m not very good to read sheets.
Would be nice if someone could help me^^
And sorry but my english isn´t that good.

mfg
Nemaru
Even if the morrow is barren of promises
Nothing shall forestall my return
To become the dew that quenches the land
To spare the sands, the seas, the skies
I offer thee this silent sacrifice.