Piano Sheet Music?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Snejxjens

Re: Piano Sheet Music?

Post by Snejxjens »

Wow, nice to see all the sheet music in one thread. Didn't take long to find.

I'm pretty much self taught when it comes to piano and sheet music. While reading the sheet music for 'Moment of Decision' original, posted way back by Nicol, I fell across a very "small" note. I just wanna know what this note means, I tried playing it fast like in the soundtrack, but it doesn't seem to work with my hands :lol: I hope I'm just reading the small note incorrect, because I can't for the love of god make it work. :roll:
FstrthnU

Post by FstrthnU »

I'm pretty sure that thing is called a "grace note"/ornament. You play it super fast, kind of attaching it to the next note. The grace note doesn't really have it's own count, you kind of just roll your hand with the grace note and the next note.

In this specific case, you would play the A extremely briefly then roll your other fingers onto the G and B-flat. You have to keep the grace note brief but still seperate from the other notes.
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Snejxjens wrote:Wow, nice to see all the sheet music in one thread. Didn't take long to find.

I'm pretty much self taught when it comes to piano and sheet music. While reading the sheet music for 'Moment of Decision' original, posted way back by Nicol, I fell across a very "small" note. I just wanna know what this note means, I tried playing it fast like in the soundtrack, but it doesn't seem to work with my hands :lol: I hope I'm just reading the small note incorrect, because I can't for the love of god make it work. :roll:
From the sound of it I would guess either an appoggiatura or an acciaccatura, you should try googling these (I can't give you the exact definition of those two)
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Snejxjens wrote: While reading the sheet music for 'Moment of Decision' original, posted way back by Nicol, I fell across a very "small" note. I just wanna know what this note means, I tried playing it fast like in the soundtrack, but it doesn't seem to work with my hands :lol: I hope I'm just reading the small note incorrect, because I can't for the love of god make it work. :roll:
That is called a grace note, it's a type of ornament. I would suggest reading this to familiarize yourself with the different kinds of ornaments; unfortunately you will encounter many of these in the sheet music. Best of luck!
Snejxjens

Post by Snejxjens »

Thanks for all the replies, really helped me out! I'll keep trying till it works out. I hope my hands will cooperate ^_^
DuckergonTOD

Post by DuckergonTOD »

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole forum thing so I don't know if someone has pointed this out yet or not. There is a slight error with the "Teatime, Fast Forward" Sheet music.
In measure 10, The 16th note ascending scale that starts on the + of beat 3 is a little off. What is written is: (in chronological order) E, F#, G# B. What it SHOULD be (and as it is in the recording),is: C#, D#, E, B.
No disrespect to the original poster, of course. It's a bit dissonant so the mistake is understandable. Measure 10 revolves around the vi chord (C#m7). The ascending scale C#, D#(non-chord tone), E, B reinforces that chord.

Not trying to be a musical snob or anything! Is the end of measure 10 happy or sad sounding? Try both proposals out and see what ya get!
I wish I could get over these feels...
Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

DuckergonTOD wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to this whole forum thing so I don't know if someone has pointed this out yet or not. There is a slight error with the "Teatime, Fast Forward" Sheet music.
In measure 10, The 16th note ascending scale that starts on the + of beat 3 is a little off. What is written is: (in chronological order) E, F#, G# B. What it SHOULD be (and as it is in the recording),is: C#, D#, E, B.
No disrespect to the original poster, of course. It's a bit dissonant so the mistake is understandable. Measure 10 revolves around the vi chord (C#m7). The ascending scale C#, D#(non-chord tone), E, B reinforces that chord.

Not trying to be a musical snob or anything! Is the end of measure 10 happy or sad sounding? Try both proposals out and see what ya get!
I have no idea what any of this means, but it was fun to read.
DuckergonTOD

Post by DuckergonTOD »

Dr. Casey wrote:
I have no idea what any of this means, but it was fun to read.

:D I'm glad you think so!
DH531

Post by DH531 »

Do you have perfect pitch or something?! O_o
DuckergonTOD

Post by DuckergonTOD »

Eh, something like that. I really didn't want to come off as pretentious or anything (that's why I didn't bother listing credentials). I just really love Armarfi's music. There's always the possibility that I'm wrong.
Wormy

Post by Wormy »

DuckergonTOD wrote:Eh, something like that. I really didn't want to come off as pretentious or anything (that's why I didn't bother listing credentials). I just really love Armarfi's music. There's always the possibility that I'm wrong.
That's great if you do; I also don't need an instrument to figure out pitch. I'm surprised I didn't catch this myself and you are very correct about the current transcription. It's an easy fix everyone can pencil in, at least.
Freduardo96

Post by Freduardo96 »

Just saying that I really love everything about this game, but I've been unable to find a transcription of "out of the loop"(Kenji's theme) and since it's my favourite song i thought i'd ask for it I know this may be not the right thread(it's not exactly piano) but I thought this'd be as good a place in any-I saw Nicol hanging on this thread, so can anyone help me out? if it's already up don't hate on me- I looked :( , but I'd really appreciate anything anyone can do :)
bpgbcg

Post by bpgbcg »

Hi; I was just looking at the transcription for Jitter and I think there are a few mistakes, although I could be wrong or they could be deliberately changed to make it work better for solo piano or something.

In measure 3, I think the d is not in fact an octave down from what is written (i.e. I'm not sure the 8vb is correct), although this one I'm not so sure on.

In measure 6, I'm pretty sure all the intervals are in fact sixths rather than 4ths, which makes the lower line in the right hand a, b, c, d, e as opposed to a, d, e, f, g. Similarly, in measure 8 I think it's also a sixth and that the lower note in the right hand should be a b rather than a d.

In measure 11, I think (although again I am pretty unsure about this one) that the first a in the right hand is not actually there (so it is just c, d, e, d, c as opposed to a, c, d, e, d, c, and only intervals are the thirds).

In measure 13, the d in the bass clef (one octave below middle c) should be an e at all 4 occurrences in the measure (because the chord becomes an E dominant seventh). This is also true in the very similar measure 17. Also to that end, in measure 13 the last note in the right hand (the b) should be an e directly above middle c rather than a b (again, I think, this one is a bit fast to be completely certain, at least for me).

In measure 15, basically the same comment as in measure 11.

In measure 17, in addition to the comment I made about measure 13, both bass notes are G#. The first one is the same as the way the 2nd one is written, whereas the 2nd one is in fact an octave higher than it is written here.

In measure 23, the first note in the left hand (the d) is in fact an octave lower than written; i.e. it's an octave lower than the note being played at the same time in the right hand as opposed to doubling it.

In measure 24, the g in the left hand (on beat 2) should be an e.

In measure 25-27, I don't think some of the notes in the chords are quite right (although the chords themselves are certainly fine). The first chord in measure 25 only should have 3 notes: an F a fifth below middle C, the D flat in the right hand, and the B flat in the right hand (not the F). The second chord also only has 3 notes: the E in the left hand, and the B flat and G in the right hand. The measure 26 chord has 4 notes: the lower F in the left hand, the C a fifth above that (but not the F an octave above!), and the A and F in the right hand (but not the C). In measure 27, the first chord should only have an A in the left hand (the one between the two Es written) and not those two Es. Additionally, I (tentatively, not sure) think that the A sharp should be an A natural. I listened to it several times and I can see exactly why one could think it's sharp, but I think that might be due to the extra sound effects during that time (again, completely unsure about that last suggestion so take it with a grain of salt). Also, in the 2nd chord in this measure (on beat 3), the low D should be in fact an octave higher than written.

Finally, I think some of the 16th notes in measures 27-28 are incorrect. On beat 4 of measure 27, it has the right hand playing two lines, starting with the A and D on the first 16th note of beat 4. I think the A in fact is on the second 16th note of beat 4 rather than the first, and thus is a 16th note rather than an 8th. Also, on the 4th 16th note of beat 4 of measure 27, the lower note in the right hand should be an E rather than an F (making it an interval of a 4th). In measure 28, the first beat, the lower line should go F, A, D, E (all 16th notes). Basically, the lower line goes A, D, E, F, A, D, E, F, so just like the upper line except shifted by an 8th note. Also to that end, in beats 2/3/4 of measure 28, the lower line alternates F, E, F, E, F, E, F, E (as opposed to A, F, A, F, A, F, A, F).

That's all I have! Thanks so much everyone who has written these transcriptions. I might try to write a corrected version based on this transcription in case I wrote the above post confusingly.
Wormy

Post by Wormy »

bpgbcg wrote:Hi; I was just looking at the transcription for Jitter and I think there are a few mistakes....
That definitely is a mouthful. I haven't compared the current transcription (which sounded close enough in practice) and the original myself so I don't have much to say on the matter, but it is one of my favorite pieces and I look forward to seeing your transcription.
DH531

Post by DH531 »

According to Tehishter, some parts were changed deliberately, however there's a chance he made some mistakes anyway. Have fun making your corrected transcript though! :D