Piano Sheet Music?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mirrormn

Re: Piano Sheet Music?

Post by Mirrormn »

To Become One: [PDF] - [MP3] - [MIDI]

This one was longer than I remembered. I tried to fill out the end a little with a little harmony, since in the soundtrack version the piano and violin play in unison on the last chorus, but in doing so I fear I may have done little more than recapture the cheesiness of the synthesized violin. Oh well.
Last edited by Mirrormn on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Mirrormn wrote:To Become One: PDF - MP3 - MID

This one was longer than I remembered. I tried to fill out the end a little with a little harmony, since in the soundtrack version the piano and violin play in unison on the last chorus, but in doing so I fear I may have done little more than recapture the cheesiness of the synthesized violin. Oh well.
Nice job on everything so far!

I've noticed a consistent error of form in your arrangements that I'd like to point out though: for example, in measure 12 of To Become One, you use Bb. It's better to use A#, because together with F# and C# this creates an F# chord, the dominant of B minor (B minor is the relative minor of D major, the key the piece is written in). The notes are still right, but this is just the proper way to do things. It also helps the performer reading the music because that is typically the kind of thing they'd expect to see.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Nicol Armarfi wrote: I've noticed a consistent error of form in your arrangements that I'd like to point out though: for example, in measure 12 of To Become One, you use Bb. It's better to use A#, because together with F# and C# this creates an F# chord, the dominant of B minor (B minor is the relative minor of D major, the key the piece is written in). The notes are still right, but this is just the proper way to do things. It also helps the performer reading the music because that is typically the kind of thing they'd expect to see.
Duly noted. It's been a while since I took music theory in high school! I'll fix that later today (and by "consistent error," I assume you mean there are some similar problems in Red Velvet, so I'll give that a look over too).

Edit: To Become One should be fixed now.

johiyo

Post by johiyo »

Posting here to show my appreciation for all the work that has been done in thread. Thanks so much!
mprasil

Post by mprasil »

Wow. Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I'm not gonna lie, it's not because I haven't had time, I just never came on here to be honest :P.

But now that spring break is here I'm going to transcribe those songs I said I would, and I'm ready to go on a transcription spree! ;)
-My real name is actually Misha.
mprasil

Post by mprasil »

mprasil wrote:Wow. Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I'm not gonna lie, it's not because I haven't had time, I just never came on here to be honest :P.

But now that spring break is here I'm going to transcribe those songs I said I would, and I'm ready to go on a transcription spree! ;)
And post videos. Duh.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

mprasil wrote:Wow. Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I'm not gonna lie, it's not because I haven't had time, I just never came on here to be honest :P.

If it's not too much trouble, please post specifically what you're going to work on before you start, so I don't waste time transcribing the same songs. Currently I'm about halfway done with both Ease and Nocturne.

mprasil

Post by mprasil »

Mirrormn wrote:If it's not too much trouble, please post specifically what you're going to work on before you start, so I don't waste time transcribing the same songs. Currently I'm about halfway done with both Ease and Nocturne.
Okay, well since comfort was done, I think that leaves "Everyday Fantasy" for me to do. I was also planning on transcribing "Shadow of Truth". I'm surprised no one's done it yet. It's a great song!

And I'm also going to make a piano transcription for "Air Guitar".
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

mprasil wrote: Okay, well since comfort was done, I think that leaves "Everyday Fantasy" for me to do. I was also planning on transcribing "Shadow of Truth". I'm surprised no one's done it yet. It's a great song!

And I'm also going to make a piano transcription for "Air Guitar".
Sounds good. [Transcriber high five!]

I think a piano version of Air Guitar is already done though; NicolArmarfi just decided to rename it "Air" because there was no longer a guitar involved.

Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

mprasil wrote:And I'm also going to make a piano transcription for "Air Guitar".
If you all are arranging for the sake of completeness I'd like to point out that I did in fact make a pretty faithful piano arrangement of Air back on the front page (http://nicol.chendo.net/music/KS%20Piano/Air/), although if you're going to play with it a bit I'd like to see what you come up with!
Mirrormn wrote:NicolArmarfi just decided to rename it "Air" because there was no longer a guitar involved.
I'm actually not sure how 'guitar' got in there in the first place. Originally when I wrote the track I just called it "Air" D:
mprasil

Post by mprasil »

Nicol Armarfi wrote:If you all are arranging for the sake of completeness I'd like to point out that I did in fact make a pretty faithful piano arrangement of Air back on the front page (http://nicol.chendo.net/music/KS%20Piano/Air/), although if you're going to play with it a bit I'd like to see what you come up with!
Beauty. Thanks for the heads-up on that one. Since it's already done (WELL done I might add), I dunno what I'll do with it then. We'll see how it goes.
StepmaniaFreak

Post by StepmaniaFreak »

I know this is slightly off topic, but what happened to your YouTube account Nicol? I don't remember ever seeing (I think I found a link to it somewhere in the forums once upon a time but the account is closed). Do you still have one and if so....what's on it? :P
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

StepmaniaFreak wrote:I know this is slightly off topic, but what happened to your YouTube account Nicol? I don't remember ever seeing (I think I found a link to it somewhere in the forums once upon a time but the account is closed). Do you still have one and if so....what's on it? :P
I use this one now http://youtube.com/nicolarmarfi4
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Ease: [PDF] - [MP3] - [MIDI]

This one ended up being more enjoyable than I anticipated. I especially had fun with the part at the end from measures 58 to 70.

However, I did have a couple problems with transcription conventions:
  • In the bass clef part, I was unsure of how to properly use Finale to write a sustained C on the on-beat followed by a E on the off-beat. Normally in such a situation I would use 2 layers to write two different parts, but that caused problems with rests later in the measure. I settled for the C's to be written as 2 tied eighth notes, which seems somewhat wrong, but it was the best I could come up with.
  • In the bass solo, on beat 2 of measure 40, the eighth notes should be played straight instead of swung. I couldn't find anyway to specify this that didn't look completely ridiculous, so I just gave up and let them remain swung.
  • The piano solo part at measure 44 was a bit too challenging to transcribe completely accurately. I doubt it's supposed to be written as separate notes in the first place; there is probably some special marking that I'm not aware of that would be a more simple and familiar instruction for a pianist. But I'm not a pianist, so I don't know it =/
  • Some of the chords may be slightly inaccurate, especially the ones in the treble part during the bass solo from measures 32 to 41. I think I added some 7ths that don't exist in the OST version, but in the end it sounded good to my ear, so I left them in.
If anyone has any advice for alterations regarding these issues, I'll be happy to put that advice into effect.

Next I will be finishing up Nocturne, and possibly a second alternate arrangement of Nocturne as well.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for making the transposition for Ease and To Become One!

To be honest, I like the cheesiness of To Become One, in my opinion it adds something to the song along with the knowledge of WHEN the song is used in the game :)