Emi's New Sprites

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 am
Location: Australia

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Suriko » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:51 pm

kosherbacon wrote:
buckbok wrote: Anyway, as long as no one changes Lilly's sprite, I'll be a happy man. Coz Lilly's the perfect girl! Woot!
IIRC, she's already been changed once, but before act 1 came out. Definitely for the better.
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com ... o-cast.jpg
She's been changed a few times.

Image

User avatar
Snicket
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 4:15 am
Location: Cadillac Ranch

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Snicket » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Suriko wrote:
[The Evolution of Lilly]
I was wondering when someone would post that. For the life of me I couldn't find a good version of second one. The group pic I had with the second sprite was all pixelated :(

I kinda with you guys would of stayed with the second one, but thats just my opinion.

User avatar
Yuuki
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:12 pm
Location: My closed space
Contact:

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Yuuki » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:23 pm

i like more the expression on the second one.
once, I said nothing...and so much has changed since that day.

User avatar
SirMax
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: MANLY LAND, HOME OF WHISKEY

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by SirMax » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:50 pm

I'd actually say that new Emi looks more like the art style of second Lilly than third Lilly. Maybe that's just me.
Image

User avatar
Aura
>has heterochromia
Posts: 3286
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Aura » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:22 pm

All the main characters have had 4-7 character designs over the developement cycle of this project. And no I'm not going to post them (you can find most of them on shimmie if you know what to look for), I just felt like pointing out in the middle of all these "I liked character design X better" comments that the primary function of a character design is that it works in the game, not that a majority of people who might or might not care find them cute or whatever.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

User avatar
EternalLurker
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: Willfully lost
Contact:

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by EternalLurker » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:19 pm

SirMax wrote:I'd actually say that new Emi looks more like the art style of second Lilly than third Lilly.
Seconded, thirded, and a billion times more. I think this is what everyone who says it looks "sketch-like" means. And that would quite definitely mean "not working with the game", no? Since the others all match the style of the third...

Bleeding Heart

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Bleeding Heart » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:31 am

Snicket wrote: Image

A comparison of the three versions of Emi
The first thing I noticed was how her tails have steadily migrated up her head. Another revision and they'll be top knots.

User avatar
Caesius
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Caesius » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:45 am

Well, if from this point they went back, she'd eventually have a ponytail. And ponytails are hot. (as well as fitting for athletic girls)


Also, whose idea was it to shrink Lilly's breasts?
Image

User avatar
Snicket
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 4:15 am
Location: Cadillac Ranch

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Snicket » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:18 am

Aura wrote: I just felt like pointing out in the middle of all these "I liked character design X better" comments that the primary function of a character design is that it works in the game, not that a majority of people who might or might not care find them cute or whatever.
Hey i'm just voicing my opinion on the here. Its your guys game and you can do what ever you want with it.

User avatar
Caesius
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Caesius » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:38 am

Snicket wrote:
Aura wrote: I just felt like pointing out in the middle of all these "I liked character design X better" comments that the primary function of a character design is that it works in the game, not that a majority of people who might or might not care find them cute or whatever.
Hey i'm just voicing my opinion on the here. Its your guys game and you can do what ever you want with it.
Well if it isn't my arch nemesis, Captain Obvious. You're too late, I've already obfuscated the President's brain! Muahahaha~
Image

User avatar
Snicket
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 4:15 am
Location: Cadillac Ranch

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Snicket » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:45 am

Caesius wrote: Well if it isn't my arch nemesis, Captain Obvious. You're too late, I've already obfuscated the President's brain! Muahahaha~
Hey i was trying to say that not everyone is going to like the changes. (Or any changes)

User avatar
G3n0c1de
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 1:15 am
Location: How are ya?

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by G3n0c1de » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:06 am

Caesius wrote:Also, whose idea was it to shrink Lilly's breasts?
They didn't shrink, her body just got a LOT bigger.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.

User avatar
Deimos
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: A Throne In Hell

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Deimos » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:19 pm

There is this weird thought floating around in my head that I cannot understand.
Snicket wrote:Hey i was trying to say that not everyone is going to like the changes. (Or any changes)
Please note that I am not trying to discredit you Snicket, but your words carry something I am wondering about.


Of course, we are creatures of habit and changes are not always appreciated because they tend to create obstacles for us and our plans for the future.
However, a big part of the message of Katawa Shoujo is that even negative changes are able to bring joy, although we might not recognise it at first. Hisao, for example, would not have made the aquaintance of all these lovely ladies. Or in another instance, Emi is a product of an accident which changed her life. Despite that, she is very happy and (taking that argument a bit further) because of that particular change she is about to become even happier if she were to form a relationship with Hisao.

If Katawa Shoujo is a story about changes and people care about it enough to be on these forums, then why are they unhappy with changes? Granted, one thing where a line should be drawn are changes to the game that diminish the overall quality of the music, art or writing.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.

User avatar
EternalLurker
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: Willfully lost
Contact:

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by EternalLurker » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:10 pm

...KS is an H-VN. Anyone who finds one sprite or another to be aesthetically pleasing is going to prefer that one in the case of most characters, the "message" of KS notwithstanding.

User avatar
Snicket
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 4:15 am
Location: Cadillac Ranch

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Snicket » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Deimos wrote:There is this weird thought floating around in my head that I cannot understand.
Snicket wrote:Hey i was trying to say that not everyone is going to like the changes. (Or any changes)
Please note that I am not trying to discredit you Snicket, but your words carry something I am wondering about.


Of course, we are creatures of habit and changes are not always appreciated because they tend to create obstacles for us and our plans for the future.
However, a big part of the message of Katawa Shoujo is that even negative changes are able to bring joy, although we might not recognise it at first. Hisao, for example, would not have made the aquaintance of all these lovely ladies. Or in another instance, Emi is a product of an accident which changed her life. Despite that, she is very happy and (taking that argument a bit further) because of that particular change she is about to become even happier if she were to form a relationship with Hisao.

If Katawa Shoujo is a story about changes and people care about it enough to be on these forums, then why are they unhappy with changes? Granted, one thing where a line should be drawn are changes to the game that diminish the overall quality of the music, art or writing.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head of what i was trying to get at.

Post Reply