Emi's New Sprites

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by Suriko »

kosherbacon wrote:
buckbok wrote: Anyway, as long as no one changes Lilly's sprite, I'll be a happy man. Coz Lilly's the perfect girl! Woot!
IIRC, she's already been changed once, but before act 1 came out. Definitely for the better.
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com ... o-cast.jpg
She's been changed a few times.

Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Suriko wrote:
[The Evolution of Lilly]
I was wondering when someone would post that. For the life of me I couldn't find a good version of second one. The group pic I had with the second sprite was all pixelated :(

I kinda with you guys would of stayed with the second one, but thats just my opinion.
Yuuki

Post by Yuuki »

i like more the expression on the second one.
once, I said nothing...and so much has changed since that day.
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

I'd actually say that new Emi looks more like the art style of second Lilly than third Lilly. Maybe that's just me.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

All the main characters have had 4-7 character designs over the developement cycle of this project. And no I'm not going to post them (you can find most of them on shimmie if you know what to look for), I just felt like pointing out in the middle of all these "I liked character design X better" comments that the primary function of a character design is that it works in the game, not that a majority of people who might or might not care find them cute or whatever.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

SirMax wrote:I'd actually say that new Emi looks more like the art style of second Lilly than third Lilly.
Seconded, thirded, and a billion times more. I think this is what everyone who says it looks "sketch-like" means. And that would quite definitely mean "not working with the game", no? Since the others all match the style of the third...
Bleeding Heart

Post by Bleeding Heart »

Snicket wrote: Image

A comparison of the three versions of Emi
The first thing I noticed was how her tails have steadily migrated up her head. Another revision and they'll be top knots.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Well, if from this point they went back, she'd eventually have a ponytail. And ponytails are hot. (as well as fitting for athletic girls)

Also, whose idea was it to shrink Lilly's breasts?
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Aura wrote: I just felt like pointing out in the middle of all these "I liked character design X better" comments that the primary function of a character design is that it works in the game, not that a majority of people who might or might not care find them cute or whatever.
Hey i'm just voicing my opinion on the here. Its your guys game and you can do what ever you want with it.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Snicket wrote:
Aura wrote: I just felt like pointing out in the middle of all these "I liked character design X better" comments that the primary function of a character design is that it works in the game, not that a majority of people who might or might not care find them cute or whatever.
Hey i'm just voicing my opinion on the here. Its your guys game and you can do what ever you want with it.
Well if it isn't my arch nemesis, Captain Obvious. You're too late, I've already obfuscated the President's brain! Muahahaha~
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Caesius wrote: Well if it isn't my arch nemesis, Captain Obvious. You're too late, I've already obfuscated the President's brain! Muahahaha~
Hey i was trying to say that not everyone is going to like the changes. (Or any changes)
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Caesius wrote:Also, whose idea was it to shrink Lilly's breasts?
They didn't shrink, her body just got a LOT bigger.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

There is this weird thought floating around in my head that I cannot understand.
Snicket wrote:Hey i was trying to say that not everyone is going to like the changes. (Or any changes)
Please note that I am not trying to discredit you Snicket, but your words carry something I am wondering about.

Of course, we are creatures of habit and changes are not always appreciated because they tend to create obstacles for us and our plans for the future.
However, a big part of the message of Katawa Shoujo is that even negative changes are able to bring joy, although we might not recognise it at first. Hisao, for example, would not have made the aquaintance of all these lovely ladies. Or in another instance, Emi is a product of an accident which changed her life. Despite that, she is very happy and (taking that argument a bit further) because of that particular change she is about to become even happier if she were to form a relationship with Hisao.

If Katawa Shoujo is a story about changes and people care about it enough to be on these forums, then why are they unhappy with changes? Granted, one thing where a line should be drawn are changes to the game that diminish the overall quality of the music, art or writing.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

...KS is an H-VN. Anyone who finds one sprite or another to be aesthetically pleasing is going to prefer that one in the case of most characters, the "message" of KS notwithstanding.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Deimos wrote:There is this weird thought floating around in my head that I cannot understand.
Snicket wrote:Hey i was trying to say that not everyone is going to like the changes. (Or any changes)
Please note that I am not trying to discredit you Snicket, but your words carry something I am wondering about.

Of course, we are creatures of habit and changes are not always appreciated because they tend to create obstacles for us and our plans for the future.
However, a big part of the message of Katawa Shoujo is that even negative changes are able to bring joy, although we might not recognise it at first. Hisao, for example, would not have made the aquaintance of all these lovely ladies. Or in another instance, Emi is a product of an accident which changed her life. Despite that, she is very happy and (taking that argument a bit further) because of that particular change she is about to become even happier if she were to form a relationship with Hisao.

If Katawa Shoujo is a story about changes and people care about it enough to be on these forums, then why are they unhappy with changes? Granted, one thing where a line should be drawn are changes to the game that diminish the overall quality of the music, art or writing.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head of what i was trying to get at.