Disabled game heroes

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Notguest

Re: Disabled game heroes

Post by Notguest »

NoOne3 wrote:It really tells much about contemporary gaming industry, and by some analogy to popular culture as a whole. The only found main game character, that doesn't have it's disability turned into some wicked, laser-firing grapling-hook advantage, is Snake, who really only get's it's peripheral vision somewhat obscured from one side, and only in "first person wiev", which is not even the main wiev mode in this game.
And, to think of it, the last notable movie/tv character I can remember, who is disabled is Mike, from Twin Peaks. There is of course Ash, and "one legged stripper" from Planet Terror and then there is Zatoichi, with it's american spin-off, played by Rutger Hauer, but I don't think that really counts. Disability not turned into a superpower is a rare thing, not only in video games.

So, willingly, or not (or at least not as purpousfully, some might say) the developers are making a good thing to change it.

PS. I can't remember a disabled characters in a book either, since the only one I recall was a deaf-mute illusionist mage, from a fantasy novel I once read, and still he could "borrow" someone else's (for example, his pet dragon's) hearing sense through telepathy.
Disabled , non superpowered characters are basically non existent in fantasy. They are much more likely to appear in more realistic works, although even then, it's somewhat rare.
Also, disabilities have a curious way of being fixed by the end of the episode or book or whatever, especially if it's a main character.

The only example of a non superpowered disabled character in fantasy that I can think of is Eugenides from The Queen's Thief series. He gets his right hand chopped off in the second book and mopes around for a while but is otherwise pretty much unaffected. It does make his obfuscating stupidity shtick a lot easier though.
Vigilant

Post by Vigilant »

I remember reading some random star wars EU book where one of the girls loses her hand in an accident and opts not to get a robotic replacement for the hand, and it's a major plot point for the book or something. Vagueness due to reading this many years ago.
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

Juno wrote:
Disabled game heroes. This guy is one.
That guy is my hero. I doubt I can do as well with two feet, though I've never played DDR.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Ok. It's a bit derailing for the topic, since there is no computer game about her YET, but Odetta Holmes/Detta Walker/Susannah Dean has both her legs amputated above knees, and has to cope with it through almost all seven volumes of "Dark Tower", by Steven King.
The setting is somewhat on the fantasy side, but still she doesn't get any kickass prostethics (except this one time, when she is posessed by a demon, and has her legs grown back for a while ), and has to face mobility problems, and discrimination (which is sometimes made worse due to her being a woman, and sometimes due to her being an afro-american - if it rains, it pours)
Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
anon

Post by anon »

Scar from s.t.a.l.k.e.r. clear sky, his nervous system was damaged during an emission,
Which in turn helps him detect and survive anomalies at the cost of his nervous system
Being progressively damaged more after each emission.

For that matter possibly every other stalker might suffer from an illness or disability caused
by the zone and radiation exposure.
Juno

Post by Juno »

NoOne3 wrote:(which is sometimes made worse due to her being a woman, and sometimes due to her being an afro-american - if it rains, it pours)
(and sometimes due to her just being a humongous bitch. Go dissociative identity disorder.)
Let's get on topic again please.
Caim from Drakengard becomes mute as the side effect of making a soul-binding pact with a dragon, so from there the dragon is the one who has to speak for them both.
No, the dragon has no pink drills.
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

Just remembered something (hope it hasn't been posted), Lazarovich from Uncharted 2 (main enemy) had burn scars at pretty much the exact same location as Hanako does.

http://www.shawndstone.com/lazarovich.jpg

Not truly a disability, but hey, it's relatable to Hanako.