Learning Japanese.... Who is into it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Captain Niggawatts

Re: Learning Japanese.... Who is into it?

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

Caesius wrote:I was hoping KS2 would be language learning software, but alas :'(
No, it does that during battles. You see, with the GAMBIT SYSTEM, you don't actually have to play anything. In order to win the battles, you have to correctly scream the name of the object on the flashcard into the microphone. For every correct word you get, one of the girls removes a piece of clothing.

Once all girls are nude, you deal 1 damage to the enemy.

So it goes on this way for a while, then.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

These gameplay mechanics sound infinitely better than that fighting game thing.

Also, since dragonlover is again not bothering to search the forum, no KS2. Actually, I'm pretty sure there are at least 4 dev posts about this issue.

From now on I suggest that, instead of doing the dirty work of searching for him, we just all point and laugh for two pages.
EmP|ty

Post by EmP|ty »

Oh Captain Niggawatts, does your awesomeness have a limit? as I have yet to see one.

I laughed so very hard at that, props bro.
Tom Noble

Post by Tom Noble »

I almost fell out of my chair Captain. Thanks for that XD
dragonloverx

Post by dragonloverx »

EternalLurker wrote:These gameplay mechanics sound infinitely better than that fighting game thing.

Also, since dragonlover is again not bothering to search the forum, no KS2. Actually, I'm pretty sure there are at least 4 dev posts about this issue.

From now on I suggest that, instead of doing the dirty work of searching for him, we just all point and laugh for two pages.
Come on I said a long time ago I was new to using forums. No need to be so harsh. I just kinda right whatever crosses my mind as I type. I never mean to offend anyone by not reading what they wrote. Sides I am usually very tired when I write anything.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

It's no so bad as long as you don't make a thread about it. It's also not specifically mentioned in the FAQ, so it's understandable.

Now if you had made a thread asking if there's going to be a Misha path, it'd be a different story.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

But your avatar is just begging for people to point and laugh, even more than mine. D:
dragonloverx

Post by dragonloverx »

EternalLurker wrote:But your avatar is just begging for people to point and laugh, even more than mine. D:
Fair enough, I was lazy and just picked the one that would fit the specs. I will change it soon.
vaen

Post by vaen »

I think I've decided to try and learn the language like 8 years ago by now. I didn't make much progress. lol
I know about enough to not need subtitles for hentai but for everything else I'm lost pretty quickly. :p and I don't even want to think about kanji. I just act as though they don't exist...

seriously though, the grammar is doable. the vocabulary is extremely different (compared to learning other languages) but also quite possible to learn quickly if you want to. the different levels of politeness and humility in speech is a bit harder and kanji are fucking impossible. after a while you start to see that (nearly) all kanji are in essence constructed of other basic kanji (known as radicals) and after that it becomes more and more possible but really, you have to study them every fucking day to ever make any headway.

I did download a kids show a while ago and managed to find Japanese subtitles that show little furigana over the kanji in the subtitles so I can watch the story and (hopefully) can understand their basic speech but still read the subtitles and learn a lot that way.
Gerbil X

Post by Gerbil X »

Caesius wrote:It's no so bad as long as you don't make a thread about it. It's also not specifically mentioned in the FAQ, so it's understandable.

Now if you had made a thread asking if there's going to be a Misha path, it'd be a different story.

;-; I made that topic a loooooooong time ago. I think it was the first of its kind. At least after the demo. o;

Hiiiii Jamo.

Well, for the hopeful learners. I'm taking classes for Japanese myself, and I can wholeheartedly and totally recommend my textbook for grammar needs.
The vocabulary isn't the most comprehensive, but the grammar lessons really ease you into the, well, grammar. Here's part one:

dragonloverx

Post by dragonloverx »

O.o
Last edited by dragonloverx on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Gerbil X wrote: Well, for the hopeful learners. I'm taking classes for Japanese myself, and I can wholeheartedly and totally recommend my textbook for grammar needs.
The vocabulary isn't the most comprehensive, but the grammar lessons really ease you into the, well, grammar. Here's part one:

That's actually not such a bad book if you want to teach yourself, but that requires a fair degree of motivation.

Anyway, here are the books that I reccommend to my mates that want to learn:

Japanese Verbs and essentials of Grammar

and

A dictionary of Basica Japanese Grammar

Those two books will pretty much get you to JLPT level 2 grammar, and are useful for those times when your teacher/textbook can't explain why you would use a certain particle/sentence structure.
I am still in favor of an anime game that teaches Japanese.
You're a douche.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

I second cpl_crud!! For no reason at all.
A Simple Fox

Post by A Simple Fox »

I'm curious as to how many people stick though it and actually learn the language. I studied it for 2 years in college and in the JPN101 class it was a full 90 people, by JPN202 it dwindled to about 7 of us. With only 3 people studying abroad this year (myself included).

Classroom study seemed to work ok for me so far but if I don't review daily, I forget the grammar very easily. The thing that annoys me, which I'm sure is true for learning any language, is that there is no substitute for conversating (sp?) with a native speaker. Sure I do fine with books but then I talk to my buddy from there or my teacher, it just ends up as a blur of sounds. Leaving me to ask them to repeat themselves while a try to break down the grammar and dig into my head looking for the right word to respond.

Kanji isn't so bad, as it's just straight up memorization of mostly smaller Kanji and different readings. But the grammar and particles really kick my ass.

If it wasn't Japanese, I would like to learn German. It's a beautiful language that makes you sound so pissed of no matter what you say.
Ich liebe dich!
...I'm sorry to disturb you...
"A person who knows but a little will put on an air of knowledge. This is a matter of inexperience. When someone knows something well, it will not be seen in his manner. This person is genteel." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo