Learning Japanese.... Who is into it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dragonloverx

Learning Japanese.... Who is into it?

Post by dragonloverx »

I am trying to learn Japanese. I like the music the video games and the visual novels, but most seem to be in their language. I am studying the language and learning it… very slowly. My lab partner in one of my classes is from Japan and she says my pronunciation is very good, but the real problem is remembering what the words mean; also learning how to read in Japanese, since so many games and visual novels use that text. Who else is trying to learn Japanese and if so how is it going?
EternalLurker

Re: Learning Japanese.... Who is into it?

Post by EternalLurker »

Yeah, perfect pronunciation isn't particularly promotive of improved......um.....comprehension....of the written language. Crap. Was on a semi-accidental roll there.
whiteflags

Post by whiteflags »

I tried to do it by myself since I can't really find a class to take at college. Didn't work for obvious reasons.
Yeah, perfect pronunciation isn't particularly promotive of improved......um.....comprehension....of the written language.
proficiency in
X is scientifically proven to Y.
dragonloverx

Post by dragonloverx »

Well I have tried different books and audio lessons but none of them worked. I am using that Rosetta Stone program now. It seems to work pretty good and I was doing rather well, but I slacked off a bit and now it is hard to get back into, I have decided to start over again. It seems to be working but as you go it gets harder. Of course my Japanese friend told me she thought is would be easier to learn English than Japanese…. well at least she was honest.
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

dragonloverx wrote:Of course my Japanese friend told me she thought is would be easier to learn English than Japanese…. well at least she was honest.
No, they are both like the hardest languages to learn. Japanese is one of the hardest for people who speak a European language to learn, and English was invented by masochists on drugs.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
The Commissar

Post by The Commissar »

Not really. English isn't easy to learn unless you already spoke a Germanic language. Japanese is easy for people who speak a Romance language because their pronunciation is similar, and super easy for Sicilians because the Sicilian double l is pronounced exactly like the r in Japanese.

Also Arabic was here, learning everything else is a cinch.
Resident "morale officer".
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

The Commissar wrote:Japanese is easy for people who speak a Romance language because their pronunciation is similar
Okay.
The Commissar wrote:and super easy for Sicilians because the Sicilian double l is pronounced exactly like the r in Japanese
Wat. :?:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

The Commissar

Post by The Commissar »

Silentcook wrote:
The Commissar wrote:and super easy for Sicilians because the Sicilian double l is pronounced exactly like the r in Japanese
Wat. :?:
lolwikipedia wrote:The -ll- sound (in words of Latin origin, for example) manifests itself in Sicilian as a voiced retroflex plosive with the tip of the tongue curled up and back, a sound which is not part of standard (Tuscan) Italian. In standard literary Sicilian, this sound is written simply as -dd- (but can also be found written ḍḍ, ddh or ddr). The sound itself is not [d] but rather [ɖ]. For example, the Italian word bello [ˈbɛllo] is beddu [ˈbɛɖɖu] in Sicilian. For comparison, this sound is somewhat like the 'r' sound in Japanese.
PRZ

Post by PRZ »

I'm actually doing good, I have perfect pronunciation since Japanese has same pronunciation as Spanish.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

...you just made me want to facepalmvandalize that Wikipedia page into oblivion. Shame it would do nothing. LolWikipedia indeed.
Anyway, Sicilian is in a half-assed bastard position, a limbo inbetween dialect and minority language, and not even natives necessarily speak it, though they might well pick up the "accent" and use it when they speak Italian.
Therefore, going back to my original "wat", that's a bit like saying that SOME of the citizens of a capital - say, those of a particular quarter - MIGHT have an easy time learning Japanese because ONE of their phonemes is close to a Japanese phoneme.

No.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Deimos

Post by Deimos »

The Commissar wrote:Not really. English isn't easy to learn unless you already spoke a Germanic language. Japanese is easy for people who speak a Romance language because their pronunciation is similar, and super easy for Sicilians because the Sicilian double l is pronounced exactly like the r in Japanese.

Also Arabic was here, learning everything else is a cinch.
Agreed, Semitic languages are a class of their own but at least they do have a relatively tame "alphabeth" in contrast to the Japanese language since they have two massive ones. Also, it's the syntax and semantics that make a language hard to learn, especially languages that possess a great deal of homonyms.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.

Post by Guest »

dragonloverx wrote:Well I have tried different books and audio lessons but none of them worked. I am using that Rosetta Stone program now. It seems to work pretty good and I was doing rather well, but I slacked off a bit and now it is hard to get back into, I have decided to start over again. It seems to be working but as you go it gets harder. Of course my Japanese friend told me she thought is would be easier to learn English than Japanese…. well at least she was honest.
MOD EDIT: do not ask for links to pirated or other illegal software on these forums.
dragonloverx

Post by dragonloverx »

Not too worry I paid the $400 dollars for the real program.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

I've heard that Japanese classes will only teach you the formal way to say and write things. When one actually goes to Japan or watches an anime, the way they actually speak is different. Real life Japanese has a lot of it's own slang, and more common ways of saying things than what is taught in class.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
The Commissar

Post by The Commissar »

G3n0c1de wrote:I've heard that Japanese classes will only teach you the formal way to say and write things. When one actually goes to Japan or watches an anime, the way they actually speak is different. Real life Japanese has a lot of it's own slang, and more common ways of saying things than what is taught in class.
All language classes do that.