I'm starting to suspect something about Shizune

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

transformersgeek

I'm starting to suspect something about Shizune

Post by transformersgeek »

I think she can read lips, or at least read body language well, because some of her reactions to what Hisao says seem like she can, unless I just fail at realizing that Misha translates EVERYTHING, even if the picture of her doesn't move. >_>;
Notguest

Re: I'm starting to suspect something about Shizune

Post by Notguest »

Misha translates everything, even when Shizune isn't there.

Besides, when do the pictures ever move? It's not like they're animated.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

From this discussion (which I like to bring up a lot) we learned that even skilled lip readers can only understand 30-50% of what someone says. Even with creative license toward the girls' disabilities it would be a huge stretch for the devs to make Shizune a "perfect lip reader."

And just to clarify before it potentially comes up, I highly doubt Shizune caught any of what Hisao was saying just before the fireworks in the last scene. People have interpreted Shizune holding her hands out as something besides just directing Hisao to look at the sky for the fireworks and I'm like "lol nope."
HeMeido

Post by HeMeido »

Shizune at least picks up on Hisao's general discomfort, Misha does sign everything everyone says and it's not likely that Shizune could read Hisao's lips at night while paying attention to the fireworks.
transformersgeek

Sometimes the pictures move a bit, at least in the beginning. Course this was just a theory ^^; I don't think she'd be perfect at it but yeah.
transformersgeek

HeMeido wrote:Shizune at least picks up on Hisao's general discomfort, Misha does sign everything everyone says and it's not likely that Shizune could read Hisao's lips at night while paying attention to the fireworks.
I haven't gotten as far as the fireworks, but I mean during the day, She might pick up on a few things? Or at least sense his intent?
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Of course, but if she doesn't have someone to translate then there will be many instances where she won't catch what he says or misunderstands it.

By the way; the sprites where Misha has her hand up in the air like "a-HA!" indicate that she is signing.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Body language, yes, I think she knows how to interpret that. I've heard that it is almost innate how we can pick up on it. Aside from that, beside's Misha's translating, a person's body language is a great way of communication for Shizune. She can tell on her own how the other person is reacting to what she is saying through Misha. And the reverse is true. She can't directly tell you how she is feeling, and I doubt she'd actually translate that through Misha. But she does show it.

But as for lip reading, I don't think she knows how.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

Ha! Shizune don't need to read lips cuz she can read MINDS!!!!
Sorry just got really bored and thought about posting something.
But it would be really awesome if she did (plz think about it devs)
PS. I'm just joking, don't take that seriously
Gash

Post by Gash »

Well was she born deaf?

She might be able to pick up the odd word by lip reading but yeah she probably picks up most of it from body language. When you look at it seriously (and take the time to learn what to look for) then you can often figure out how someones feeling.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

I think it's been confirmed somewhere that Shizune was indeed born deaf. Also, does anyone know how hard it would be to pick up lipreading if you yourself have never vocalized in your life?
Last edited by G3n0c1de on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

If born deaf, you're in all probability not going to learn lip-reading no matter how hard you try. It's comparable to a colorblind person memorizing and differentiating between the smells of commonly used dyes to compensate for his/her disability.
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

Actually, most congenitally deaf folks do learn a teeny bit of lip reading, though many don't ever become proficient enough to use it as a primary form of communication. Some signs in ASL include mouth-shape, often to distinguish between English synonyms that don't have separate words in ASL.

Besides, I know a colorblind painter who relies heavily on the labels on his paint pots, but in an emergency can and does identify certain paints by smell, taste, and consistency.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Naphtali wrote:colorblind painter
Irony, in it's purest form.
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Naphtali wrote:colorblind painter
Irony, in it's purest form.
Well, to be fair, he paints game miniatures, which doesn't take a whole lot of color sense.