Cool story bro: bionic limbs one step closer.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Loki

Cool story bro: bionic limbs one step closer.

Post by Loki »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/video_and_audio/8392111.stm

In case you can't access it, an italian man's had some elctrodes rigged up to his amuptated limb (well, not the limb itself, you know what I mean) and he now can control an artificial hand with his mind. Bionic Commando and Bionic Man/Woman aren't quite as far fetched anymore apparently.
Warwick

Re: Cool story bro: bionic limbs one step closer.

Post by Warwick »

You'd think they'd give him a bionic left hand, since.. you know... that's the one HE LOST.

I'm losing track of all the stuff on bionics and prosthetics, but I thought this has been done before. I remember reading in PopSci a while ago about a man who has an entire arm prosthetic that responds to implants on his shoulder (but I think those were just surface contacts on the muscles? Who knows). There was something about him relearning to play the piano, too.
静音是买外夫
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Well fuck, my cover has been blown. Time to go deep under. :3
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

The Commissar

Post by The Commissar »

Huh, Europeans did it? You'd expect it would be Japan with the fascination they have on robotics.
Resident "morale officer".
Bara

Post by Bara »

Cool that it has feedback to the user, but it is still a experimental prototype. It needs to be made into a wearable prosthetic device before I get excited about it.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

What would be really interesting is how good his sense of touch with this mechanic hand is or did they just concentrate on imitating the flexibility of a real hand like the video described?
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Deimos wrote:What would be really interesting is how good his sense of touch with this mechanic hand is or did they just concentrate on imitating the flexibility of a real hand like the video described?
Well, video easily shows motion but can't convey a sense of touch. They can only describe it verbaly, but unless the person it is being described to has shared that sensation and this being a experimental prototype with one operator.... not much shared experience.
Still, the real advance seems to be in the sensory feedback and I agree; I wish the article had focused more on that.

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

That scene with the water bottle seemed to show his sense of touch. That's the reason he had his eyes closed the entire time, looking down at the table: he was supposed to be able to sense when they tugged on the water bottle, and release it right then.
toast

Post by toast »

Warwick wrote:You'd think they'd give him a bionic left hand, since.. you know... that's the one HE LOST.

I'm losing track of all the stuff on bionics and prosthetics, but I thought this has been done before. I remember reading in PopSci a while ago about a man who has an entire arm prosthetic that responds to implants on his shoulder (but I think those were just surface contacts on the muscles? Who knows). There was something about him relearning to play the piano, too.
Yeah, I remember that. It was like a guy from kansas. They took the muscles that were left and transplanted them to his pectoral muscle, so the nerves regrew. Then they put corresponding electrodes on there so whenever he thought about moving his hand, it actually moved.
<!Aura-> I did a line of powdered fig dust mixed with high grade blow from the ass of a supermodel wearing a Misha kigurumi at the party yesterday

<buckingham> it is not my fault you all have awful fucking taste

[17:42:51] <!Delta_Kurshiva> no fun allowed
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Its amazing how far technology can go. No less then half a century ago the best people could get was a little claw for a hand. Now people can get an artificial limb that acts just like the real thing. They should use this for all those vets who come home from Iraq or Afghanistan missing arms, legs etc.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Nightdragon wrote:Its amazing how far technology can go. No less then half a century ago the best people could get was a little claw for a hand. Now people can get an artificial limb that acts just like the real thing. They should use this for all those vets who come home from Iraq or Afghanistan missing arms, legs etc.
Actualy Dept. of Defense through Walter Reed Hopital is working with Dean Kamen the the guy who invented the Segway on improved prosthetics http://www.ted.com/talks/dean_kamen_pre ... c_arm.html

I know I linked this about a year or so ago pardon the re-link.
Last edited by Silentcook on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: One year ago plus pages and pages away needs no pardon at all. It's all good. :)

Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Bara wrote:
Nightdragon wrote:Its amazing how far technology can go. No less then half a century ago the best people could get was a little claw for a hand. Now people can get an artificial limb that acts just like the real thing. They should use this for all those vets who come home from Iraq or Afghanistan missing arms, legs etc.
Actualy Dept. of Defense through Walter Reed Hopital is working with Dean Kamen the the guy who invented the Segway on improved prosthetics http://www.ted.com/talks/dean_kamen_pre ... c_arm.html

I know I linked this about a year or so ago pardon the re-link.
Yeah I've heard of that. Pretty crazy stuff right there. Hopefully I don't need to get one of those.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Nightdragon wrote:Yeah I've heard of that. Pretty crazy stuff right there. Hopefully I don't need to get one of those.
In a perfect world no one would need these devices, but I'm sure we all have noticed the slight lack of perfection in this world.

Just remember; "Once the pin is pulled Mr. Grenade is NOT your friend." :lol:

Gash

Post by Gash »

Wooo. Not long before we get into the realm of augmentics.

Then its time to start trading in flesh for synthetic.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Gash wrote:Wooo. Not long before we get into the realm of augmentics.

Then its time to start trading in flesh for synthetic.
Not quite, but closer every day it seems. DARPA (you know, the guys who brought you the Internet) is aiming for a neurally controlled artificial limb (meaning brain implants control the limb). By the time I'm old(er) the expression "Body and Fender Shop" may have a whole new meaning than it did when I was a kid. http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blo ... ants/4890/