This has been driving me crazy...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Ozymil

This has been driving me crazy...

Post by Ozymil »

So, being the uneducated-in-Japanese kind of person I am, I have to know: is it pronounced "Kuh-TAH-wah Shoe-joe" or "KAH-tuh-wah Sho-jo"?
Donnes-moi le chocolat, Hisao! Gib mir die Schokolade, Hisao! Dame el chocolate, Hisao! Dammi il cioccolato, Hisao! Ge mig choklad, Hisao! Giv mig chokolade, Hisao! 私にチョコレートを与える, 久夫! Daj mi czekoladę, Hisao! Geef me de chocola, Hisao! (Thanks for the Dutch ver. Leotrak) Bigyan mo ako ng chocolate, Hisao! Geef mij de chocolade, Hisao! Дайте мне шоколад, Хисао! Dá-me o chocolate, Hisao!
Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Re: This has been driving me crazy...

Post by Pimmy »

Kah tah wah sho jo

also japanese doesn't regularly accent syllables
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

[ka̠ta̠ɰ͡β̞a̠ ɕo̞:zo̞]

the w and vowels are the hard part for native english speakers (I think), and yes each mora has equal stress, no accents anywhere.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
toast

Post by toast »

I just kinda butcher it whichever way i feel at the time.
<!Aura-> I did a line of powdered fig dust mixed with high grade blow from the ass of a supermodel wearing a Misha kigurumi at the party yesterday

<buckingham> it is not my fault you all have awful fucking taste

[17:42:51] <!Delta_Kurshiva> no fun allowed
ever17

Post by ever17 »

☆♥Aura♥☆ wrote:[ka̠ta̠ɰ͡β̞a̠ ɕo̞:zo̞]

the w and vowels are the hard part for native english speakers (I think), and yes each mora has equal stress, no accents anywhere.
So, does anyone even know how to read that sort of phonetic alphabet?

I think just saying "kah-tah-wa sho-jo with no stress on any syllables" is good enough ;P
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

ever17 wrote:
☆♥Aura♥☆ wrote:[ka̠ta̠ɰ͡β̞a̠ ɕo̞:zo̞]

So, does anyone even know how to read that sort of phonetic alphabet?
The ɰ, β, and ɕ represent non-English sounds. I doubt there are many people that can produce every sound represented in IPA, let alone read them, so probably not.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

The entire point of IPA is that they are universal and everyone can (potentially) pronounce them. If you say "pronounce it like kah-tah-wah", people whose native language is not english and even people speaking various dialects of English will not pronounce it like you'd think. That's why it's not a good idea.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

The problem is that the Joe Average probably can't pronounce things using the IPA, or like me, haven't even heard of it.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Yeah but on the internet it's not a problem, due to the power of google and wikipedia. In face to face conversations it's obviously quite unnecessary, unless all participants have an interest in linguistics.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Um...In face-to-face conversation how would you spell in IPA anyway? o_O
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

In a face-to-face conversation you can actually pronounce words as an example, that should be simplest. The individual IPA can't be spelled, but they have names that you can refer to, like the ɕ from shoujo is called alveolo-palatal fricative and the o in japanese is a "mid back rounded vowel". Not very useful for a casual conversation though.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Well, yeah, you can describe the sounds as my brother loves to do (even in casual conversation; he's a hobbyist linguist, or used to be, inspired by LotR). I just considered that to be "describing the sounds" rather than "naming IPA letters", I guess. A bit of a chicken-and-egg thing, which potentially has a real answer that I could look up if I weren't currently feeling extraordinarily lazy even by my own standards. I'll probably do so after this week of tests.
Gash

Post by Gash »

Whats the translated version?