Cripple Humor

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nestor

Cripple Humor

Post by Nestor »

One of the things that makes KS so interesting (IMO, at least) is the humor in the game. The sense of humor (aka cripple humor) around here is probably one of the few reasons I've been lurking around this site for this long. I had thought up until this point that the way the devs deal with the cripple humor was one-of-a-kind. But I was wrong - in an article I had to read recently, I found out about a quadriplegic man named John Callahan who makes editorial cartoons, usually about the disabled. The guy has a sense of humor not completely unlike what's on these boards.

The first page of the article talks about what kind of person Callahan is, and then the next couple pages move on to public opinion about Callahan's comics and his biography. The best part, though, is when Callahan starts talking about his own disabilities, and what he thinks about political correctness and how society in general treats the handicapped. The article's mad old, but I think it's still relevant, so I'll post the link here - I recommend reading it (the first 3 pages, anyway).

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/06/07/magaz ... gewanted=1

Just for flavor, here's a cartoon of his.

Kenji - "It was like that, but with poo."
dilleuxlepaire

Re: Cripple Humor

Post by dilleuxlepaire »

Wow, that brought me way back. This guy made a cartoon back in the days. "John Callahan's Quads!" it was called, if I recall. The main character was quadriplegic.

Oh the irony.
Cheers.