Blindness cured...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Elroy

Re: Blindness cured...

Post by Elroy »

Guest wrote:Would Lilly still be as lovable if she wasn't blind?
Oh hell yes. Definitely.
jdwdesu

Post by jdwdesu »

Just curious as to what others thought about that. I mean, part of what makes the girls so interesting is their disabilities and how they overcome them. Somehow I doubt this game would get as much cult focus as it does if all the disabilities were not on the table.

On the same note, there's a big thing in the deaf community about this very subject. Cochlear implants can restore hearing to almost any person, even those born deaf. Part of the deaf community feels it is an outrage, that they can and have been getting along without hearing just fine, and it would destroy their culture if it caught on in large numbers.

Heh... I also feel Lilly would be just as lovable even if she could see.

What about Shizune though?
Elroy

Post by Elroy »

jdwdesu wrote:Just curious as to what others thought about that. I mean, part of what makes the girls so interesting is their disabilities and how they overcome them. Somehow I doubt this game would get as much cult focus as it does if all the disabilities were not on the table.

On the same note, there's a big thing in the deaf community about this very subject. Cochlear implants can restore hearing to almost any person, even those born deaf. Part of the deaf community feels it is an outrage, that they can and have been getting along without hearing just fine, and it would destroy their culture if it caught on in large numbers.

Heh... I also feel Lilly would be just as lovable even if she could see.

What about Shizune though?
She may not be as manipulative, or have the same drive to have things in a strict order and schedule. Being able to connect with people and converse easier may definitely change her a lot, make her more easygoing. Then again, that may be something innate in her, and not just because of her disability. Being able to hear may only change just that, and she could still be the slightly manipulative, cunning student council president we all know, just now with the gift of hearing and speech. Oh and she'd totally be into Megadeth. So yeah, still lovable.
Member22

New tech update for blindness

Post by Member22 »

I stumbled on this in the BBC website:

Using a camera and an electrode placed on the tongue, a blind person can 'see' what is in front of them depending on the impulses sent from the camera -> electrode -> tongue. The prototype was developed by the MOD and tried on a British soldier who was injured in Iraq and lost his vision. The video in this link explains more:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8568547.stm

What do you guys think about this?
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
Notguest

Re: New tech update for blindness

Post by Notguest »

It's not exactly new. It's probably not even the first time this has been posted on the forums.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Wasn't there also one that used an implant and a camera installed in sunglasses or something like that?
It actually allowed you to see. Although in black and white and not really clearly, but still allowed to see.
No I'm Misha

Post by No I'm Misha »

Its an interesting idea.

But fundamentally flawed if you ask me. Other projects look to restore vision but this would be a great stopgap measure.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

There we go. Merged so that all of this is in the same place from now on in.

"Ban" and "Lock" aren't the only moderation tools available to us!
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

I saw an article on another treatment that involved the use of a retrovirus. I would only work on someone who was born with sight, but showed a lot of promise. Lost the link ages ago.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Pumpkineat3r wrote:I saw an article on another treatment that involved the use of a retrovirus. I would only work on someone who was born with sight, but showed a lot of promise. Lost the link ages ago.
That doesn't sound terrifying at all. "Hey, wanna try a new experimental procedure where we inject viruses into your eyeballs?" :shock:
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

DESU

Post by DESU »

Csihar wrote:
Pumpkineat3r wrote:I saw an article on another treatment that involved the use of a retrovirus. I would only work on someone who was born with sight, but showed a lot of promise. Lost the link ages ago.
That doesn't sound terrifying at all. "Hey, wanna try a new experimental procedure where we inject viruses into your eyeballs?" :shock:
haven't you watched house? they do shit like that all the time.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

DESU wrote:
Csihar wrote:That doesn't sound terrifying at all. "Hey, wanna try a new experimental procedure where we inject viruses into your eyeballs?" :shock:
haven't you watched house? they do shit like that all the time.
Which is part of why I don't watch House. (Also because I always forget when it's on.)
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Yubiseiharukana

Post by Yubiseiharukana »

Guest wrote:Would Lilly still be as lovable if she wasn't blind?
Is that a trick question?

Which is part of why I don't watch House. (Also because I always forget when it's on.)
*Gasp* Don't watch House! But it's so... umm... "realistic" (maybe not the right word).
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
- Emo Philips
PinkMagus

Post by PinkMagus »

The amazing thing about that is that it doesn't really seem to mater why or how the person is blind, because it doesn't even use the nerves of the eye socket.
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Pumpkineat3r wrote: I would only work on someone who was born with sight, but showed a lot of promise.
Well.... the web page says Lilly is blind since birth. So not sure if this would work for her.
And yes, she would be as lovely as she is if she wasn't blind, but she wouldn't be so special as she is, compared to hundreds of other anime babes.