janz

Brainport Vision Device

Post by janz »

A device allow the blind to see.
Simplified Chinese Progress - good
janz

Re: Brainport Vision Device

Post by janz »

I was thinking, we need a futuristic Katawa Shoujo.

In the end of KS, Hisao finally married with Akira, and they lived happily ever after. They had children, and grandchildren and so on. But little to Hisao's knowledge, his condition was genetic...

200 years since the original KS story, new technologies emerged. We finally destroyed our blue planet. 99% of all living things on this planet died to radiation. We have abandoned our planet's surface; we are living underground ever since the Judgment Day. And the war between humans and machines...that's another story.

Need a background story with glimpse of future technology, but not enough to fix those problems all together. Robotic arms, Brainport Vision Device II, portable voice creator, mini hover machine,controlled genetic mutation to "fix" scars(side effects include thirst for blood, sensitivity to light, sharpening tooth, hatred for garlic, immortality).
Simplified Chinese Progress - good
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

The problem is, their disabilities are what gives the girls their character. If they didn't have them, they would be bland. The girls should still be disabled, and what changes is the setting. Be it a Fallout/Matrix/Terminator future.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

G3n0c1de wrote:The problem is, their disabilities are what gives the girls their character. If they didn't have them, they would be bland.
You sure you don't want to rephrase that.
HeMeido

Post by HeMeido »

Caesius wrote:
G3n0c1de wrote:The problem is, their disabilities are what gives the girls their character. If they didn't have them, they would be bland.
Silence, heretic! Do not underestimate the power of cripple moe!
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

janz wrote:
A device allow the blind to see.
What an amazing piece of technology. Looks like a forerunner to the VISOR Geordi LaForge wears in Star Trek: TNG.

Too bad it is only available in the US and in the testing stages. Although the estimated price of 10,000 US $ must be happy news for visually impaired people. I'd guess having only a black and white vision and a metal plate in your mouth are acceptable downsides to the overall improvement.
Caesius wrote:
The disabilities certainly shaped their character but a "what if scenario" always leads into speculation - it's possible they would be bland but unlikely in my opinion.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

Also, people who are congenitally blind do not have the neural circuits required for vision, meaning that even if they have functioning eyes, they still won't be able to see properly.
XtC

Post by XtC »

Notguest wrote:Also, people who are congenitally blind do not have the neural circuits required for vision, meaning that even if they have functioning eyes, they still won't be able to see properly.
Well you must admit that this is at least a start. What you said could probably be accomplished if people would stop caring on more accurate guns for 50k each and focus more on furthering breakthrough technologies but no >.>, the world is to great for that.
Bara

Post by Bara »

XtC wrote:What you said could probably be accomplished if people would stop caring on more accurate guns for 50k each...
Meh, only idiots blame the gun when the problem is the fool aiming it. Remember kiddies; good stock weld, breathing control, sight picture, and squeeeeze the trigger don't jerk it. :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Bara wrote:
XtC wrote:What you said could probably be accomplished if people would stop caring on more accurate guns for 50k each...
Meh, only idiots blame the gun when the problem is the fool aiming it. Remember kiddies; good stock weld, breathing control, sight picture, and squeeeeze the trigger don't jerk it.
The best thing is that with this technology even blind people can now effectively use firearms - just what we needed. :)
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Deimos wrote:
Bara wrote:
Meh, only idiots blame the gun when the problem is the fool aiming it. Remember kiddies; good stock weld, breathing control, sight picture, and squeeeeze the trigger don't jerk it.
The best thing is that with this technology even blind people can now effectively use firearms - just what we needed. :)
Yep, before they were limited to claymore mines. Progress is good isn't it? :wink:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Bara wrote: Yep, before they were limited to claymore mines. Progress is good isn't it? :wink:
Nah it would just be like CoD 4 online game playing. Grenades everywhere!!! :twisted:
Tabby

Post by Tabby »

Wow. That's really amazing technology. But why can't you force feed information from a camera into a person's brain? Just hook them up together, and get used to it. Is it too hard to insert a wire into your head and let your brain work out the processing details?
Youtube quote: "But can it see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch!?"
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Tabby wrote:Is it too hard to insert a wire into your head and let your brain work out the processing details?
Yes.

But that's just my opinion.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Hasn't that been already done? But still, it depends on a few things. Now, I'm no doctor, but you can't just 'let the brain work it out', you have to send it electrical impulses that the brain recognizes as visual information input. A metaphor could be like sending your word processor a movie file. It only takes a few file types, and you must use the word processor for those file types. The same thing with the vision center of the brain. If it gets electrical signals not in the same format as they come from our eyes... well they'll 'see' all this weird shit. It's just wrong. So the camera will have to take the image, and convert that signal into the same format as they come from the eyes. And then you'd have to splice a connection from the device along the visual nerve path. I think this is how it might work, but feel free to correct me.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.