Fans flanderizing

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Kota

Fans flanderizing

Post by Kota »

It appears to me that the fans are slowly flanderizing each character, reducing them slowly to certain base characteristics that we find easy to imagine, reducing any kind of depth they might have had. The process isn't complete, but it's slowly getting there.

Play the game again once in awhile, remember what they're actually like before they really turn into moeblobs and tsunderes.
2600k 4.5GHz bigadv folder, occasionally an additional 860 2.8GHz smp folder.
whiteflags

Re: Fans flanderizing

Post by whiteflags »

Did you read a bunch of fan fiction and hate it?
90% of anything is crap. Especially if it has nothing to do with the original work, but it can be fun..
X is scientifically proven to Y.
Ozymil

Post by Ozymil »

From what we the fans perceive in Act 1, so far yes, the girls are somewhat flanderized. But as whiteflags stated, we've seen the girls in fanworks more than anything official released by the devs.
Donnes-moi le chocolat, Hisao! Gib mir die Schokolade, Hisao! Dame el chocolate, Hisao! Dammi il cioccolato, Hisao! Ge mig choklad, Hisao! Giv mig chokolade, Hisao! 私にチョコレートを与える, 久夫! Daj mi czekoladę, Hisao! Geef me de chocola, Hisao! (Thanks for the Dutch ver. Leotrak) Bigyan mo ako ng chocolate, Hisao! Geef mij de chocolade, Hisao! Дайте мне шоколад, Хисао! Dá-me o chocolate, Hisao!
stranger

Post by stranger »

Welcome to the internet.
remember to take your meds, kids
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Stupid sexy Flanders

oh, wait...

This thread isn't about that. Damn. Anyways, I'm guessing flanderizing means watering people down to just a few traits right? Because I can't find a proper definition of that word, that's what I'm assuming it means. Since nothing new has come out from the direct source (the devs), all we have left is fan-fiction and/or separate paths we (the fans) come up with. Just because that's all we seem to be doing, doesn't necessarily mean that's how we feel. Honestly, I feel very strongly for the girls, but I got to have something to keep me busy until the final game comes out. Don't just broadly assume something like that just because it seems like fact. Read some other threads, we can get deep if we truly want to.
Seroanth

Post by Seroanth »

Nightdragon wrote:Stupid sexy Flanders

oh, wait...

This thread isn't about that. Damn. Anyways, I'm guessing flanderizing means watering people down to just a few traits right? Because I can't find a proper definition of that word, that's what I'm assuming it means. Since nothing new has come out from the direct source (the devs), all we have left is fan-fiction and/or separate paths we (the fans) come up with. Just because that's all we seem to be doing, doesn't necessarily mean that's how we feel. Honestly, I feel very strongly for the girls, but I got to have something to keep me busy until the final game comes out. Don't just broadly assume something like that just because it seems like fact. Read some other threads, we can get deep if we truly want to.

Flanderization

alt title(s): Flanderized; Flanderisation
The act of taking a single (often minor) aspect of a character and exaggerating it more and more until it's huge and cartoonish and almost entirely consumes the character. Sitcom characters are particularly susceptible to this, as are peripheral characters in shows with long runs.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... derization

I guess that's that, though I just got that from a quick google D:
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Seroanth wrote:
Flanderization

alt title(s): Flanderized; Flanderisation
The act of taking a single (often minor) aspect of a character and exaggerating it more and more until it's huge and cartoonish and almost entirely consumes the character. Sitcom characters are particularly susceptible to this, as are peripheral characters in shows with long runs.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... derization

I guess that's that, though I just got that from a quick google D:
Oh damn. I tried dictionary.com, and it came up with nothing. I think it did come up with one of those other variations of the word, but without knowing the base word I was lost. The more you know....
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Kota wrote:It appears to me that the fans are slowly flanderizing each character, reducing them slowly to certain base characteristics that we find easy to imagine, reducing any kind of depth they might have had. The process isn't complete, but it's slowly getting there.
The Flanderization that is done by the fandom is, in an abstract way, something really good. The more "we" simplify these characters the more the developers can suprise us at the end.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
ZystraL

Post by ZystraL »

Deimos wrote:
Kota wrote:It appears to me that the fans are slowly flanderizing each character, reducing them slowly to certain base characteristics that we find easy to imagine, reducing any kind of depth they might have had. The process isn't complete, but it's slowly getting there.
The Flanderization that is done by the fandom is, in an abstract way, something really good. The more "we" simplify these characters the more the developers can suprise us at the end.
My view exactly. By developing our own vision, the real product at the end could be more enjoyable than our own ideas.
I enjoy everything the devs hate. This includes and is not limited to: Pokemon, K-ON! and Lego.
Seroanth

Post by Seroanth »

ZystraL wrote:
Deimos wrote:
My view exactly. By developing our own vision, the real product at the end could be more enjoyable than our own ideas.
It's a bad thing when it's vice-versa though.
ever17

Post by ever17 »

You'd have to be pretty simple minded to simplify the characters presented in something with as much depth as a visual novel. It's like the whole point of the genre to flesh out characters well (most commonly through romantic relationships of course).

Rin = awesome is an acceptable flanderization, however.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

ever17 wrote:You'd have to be pretty simple minded to simplify the characters presented in something with as much depth as a visual novel. It's like the whole point of the genre to flesh out characters well (most commonly through romantic relationships of course).
Many VNs I have tried (only ones in English, though) had only minimalized characterisation and instead relied on archetypes (or stereotypes if you want to call them that). And considering how many people define Hanako as a moeblob or Emi as a loli, they are not simple minded rather than single-focussed on small portions of said characters that are widely acknowledged archetypes of the genre.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

ever17 wrote:You'd have to be pretty simple minded to simplify the characters presented in something with as much depth as a visual novel.
I take it you never met the TYPE-MOON fandom.
EmP|ty

Post by EmP|ty »

delta wrote:
ever17 wrote:You'd have to be pretty simple minded to simplify the characters presented in something with as much depth as a visual novel.

I gotta quote this man for truth.
-abscess

Post by -abscess »

EmP|ty wrote:
delta wrote:
I gotta quote this man for truth.
As a T-M fan myself, ayhup.