A22's Blogpost

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ROFLWAFFLE!

Re: A22's Blogpost

Post by ROFLWAFFLE! »

G3n0c1de wrote:And I wonder... if along Shizune's path, you could have a one night stand with Misha, even if it would lead to a bad end, would you do it?
Well, I'd save and finish the path.
Then I'll do it.
That's how it rolls when I play VNs.
"Michael Jackson ain't dead, he's just hiding somewhere in South America with Elvis n' 2pac."
Devvy

Post by Devvy »

G3n0c1de wrote: And I wonder... if along Shizune's path, you could have a one night stand with Misha, even if it would lead to a bad end, would you do it?
Uhh...I can't say really, it'd be depending on the circumstance.
If it had no moral ramifications then yeah I'd do it in a heartbeat (or two heartbeats in Hisao's case)
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

I'd do it if I suspected that it would end in a hilarious Bad End death.
Malinor

Post by Malinor »

The Bad End is that Hisao upsets the hair.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

No pretty sure it's because Misha's penis is too big for Hisao's butt.
Malinor

Post by Malinor »

I was going to say that he got giga drill breaker'd from behind but decided against it.

More importantly, you've revealed the reason behind Shizune and Misha's friendship. Don't ask, don't tell.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Seriously though, I guess part of the reason I really can't see Shizune as a bitch is because her smile seems so sincere.

I mean, look at her! She's like a puppy!

Edit: Maybe "puppy" is the wrong word choice when trying not to make Shizune out to be a bitch...
Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Post by Pimmy »

Guys, try not to get the thread locked with back-and-forth banter that's only just barely on topic. Excuse me if I'm stepping out of place, but I'd hate to see this get locked! Nice Shizune discussion happening.
Since the blog post is no longer in machine code, this is probably a good thread for more intelligent discussion.
Malinor

Post by Malinor »

Fair enough, senseless and wacky banter is just in my nature.

I have nothing important to add to the discussion other than the fact that I'm kind of surprised by how...negative, I guess, A-22 seems about the whole deal.

Shizune is far and away the most strong willed of the girls (well, Emi may very well be close, but in a different fashion) so it's not much of a surprise to see her viewed as the "antagonist" even jokingly.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Malinor wrote: Shizune is far and away the most strong willed of the girls (well, Emi may very well be close, but in a different fashion) so it's not much of a surprise to see her viewed as the "antagonist" even jokingly.
If by any chance you are able to bypass an any negative moral implications you can even take the word antagonist as a compliment. In a game as serious and comedic (just like real life) as Katawa Shoujo there is a need for a serious "villain" - someone who is capable, working hard and clever.
Shizune holds these traits. Even if not everything she does is not well liked she does quite a good job with everything she works on.
Even Lilly, the disabled version of Joan of Orleans, has some respect for Shizune although she probably finds her personality not that endearing.
And living with people not liking you is part of life.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
British Gentleman

Post by British Gentleman »

I actually thoroughly enjoyed each character that was present in Katawa Shoujo. However, the characters are made in such ways as to attract certain types of people willing to go for them and complete their paths. That being said, none of the characters are fundamentally flawed; rather, the people who play the game are. Some will look at Shizune like she was Charles the Second of Spain and promptly spit on her, others will find her to be the handsome princess and promptly select her. That being said, every character has their own unique characteristics and thus, the player chooses what he or she believes is in the right or in the wrong. None of the girls lack personality, and the only person who lacks personality in the game is Hisao, but for a good reason.

Hisao is essentially you, and aside from the background details landing him into Yamaku, is a blank slate. However, Hisao changes himself in order to appeal to the woman of his choosing [or man], and is put in a way to best reflect what is in the player's mind at that point and time. However, he is given a very lenient role in this case and still allows for the player to completely control him. Aside from the limitations of the first act, you are presumably given a [in]finite time to change your mind at any time and go for the other ladies [or man] and try to woo them. Hisao is completely at the mercy of you and you only.

Hence, I dislike calling these types of games 'visual novels', and visual novels follow a set plot with a set point. I'd rather call this a 'Visual Choose your own Adventure', as that is more fitting. That being said, this is one of the better VCYOA / VCA games I have played; the writing is simply superb, the setting is tastefully done, and the ladies [or man] are all very well-tailored to the player's choosings. And because of this, I cannot select a favorite nor a least favorite. That being articulated, I do sincerely hope that people will view all characters as equals. It saddens me that some people will dislike a character just because of choice or personal preferences that is forced on the player's mindset.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

British Gentleman wrote:Hisao is essentially you
If I could have gotten laid in high school, I wouldn't be working in computers for a living.
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

DuaneMoody wrote:
British Gentleman wrote:Hisao is essentially you
If I could have gotten laid in high school, I wouldn't be working in computers for a living.
personally I'd rather wait till college and have a steady job that get laid in high school and not have a job

but that's probably why I don't get laid.

In all seriousness, I did find Shizune a bit bitchy. She never seems to care about Hisao's feelings much, and mostly just uses them to manipulate him and gives him very little choice and uses some plain dirty tactics. I'm sorry but physically blocking someone when you don't know what their disability is seems cruel. It's not like Hisao can fight back.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

SirMax wrote:I'm sorry but physically blocking someone when you don't know what their disability is seems cruel. It's not like Hisao can fight back.
Wait what?

I don't know what you're talking about, but whatever it was it's not like she tackled him. (Unlike some people...)

Also with the scene in Hisao's room she's genuinely concerned for him because of all the pills he has to take. Same deal with the ball throwing thing.

Edit: Also, if I had a disability, and people I talked to knew I had a disability, but they don't know what that disability is, I wouldn't want them treating me any different just because I might die if I try to push them out of the way or whatever. Shizune and Misha knew Hisao had a disability, but they didn't show any interest in finding out what that disability was until they saw the pills in his room, so they just treated him like they would treat any other cute new guy. You might find that bitchy, but I think think it's great that they're like that.
Loki

Post by Loki »

I don't really care too much for Shizune: she's (and I'm perfectly aware of the hypocirasy, coming from a fan of the distilled moe-blob that's Hanako) too run-of the mill. The tsundere that's in a position of power and uses it to force <CHARNAME> into doing her bidding, ect ect ect yada yada yada.

But the fact she's apparently got such a reaction from people is actually a good thing. I remember in Baldur's Gate II a certain pair of characters got very strong reactions (Aerie and Anomen were their names in you didn't know... and Aerie was a winged elf that had actually had her wings amputated, so imagine a sort of cross between Hanako and Lilly and Emi or Rin. So she'd fit in at the school)

erm anyways, pint it, that she's got such a reaction says to me that 'This character has been written well to get such a reaction from people who like her and people who don't'