If you have a disability, what would it be?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Scarlet Fox

Re: If you have a disability, what would it be?

Post by Scarlet Fox »

Notguest wrote:It's not something that doesn't affect you much.
I know, I'm saying if I did pick something seriously I'd pick something else that doesn't really do anything to me. A character with a disability like this would be very interesting, imo, so that's why I picked it.

Is there some sort of disability that gives someone difficulty to keep their balance? That would be interesting as well, if you ask me.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Scarlet Fox wrote:
Notguest wrote:It's not something that doesn't affect you much.
Is there some sort of disability that gives someone difficulty to keep their balance? That would be interesting as well, if you ask me.
Probably some sort of inner ear injury/deformity or brain damage
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

Yeah, it's really horrible. Fortunately, stuff like Brainport can help cure it.
whiteflags

Post by whiteflags »

ContinualNaba wrote:
whiteflags wrote:Uh you'd have to pretty much "be careful" all of the time. Just doesn't happen in reality.
Wait, does that disability prevent you from feeling pressure as well, or just pain?
I checked How Stuff Works. Your brain treat pressure and pain differently, if that helps answer your question:
Your peripheral nerves are important to feeling pain. They end in receptors that sense touch, pressure and temperature. Some of them end in nociceptors, which sense pain. Nociceptors send pain messages in electrical impulses along the peripheral nerves, which then travel through the spine and then to the brain. Nociceptor axons are usually unmyelinated, which means that they are slow. Myelin is an insulating sheath that forms around nerves and helps with impulse conduction -- the more myelin, the faster the message. The axons that carry the pain messages from the nociceptors can be either myelinated or unmyelinated, which means that pain messages can travel quickly or slowly. Which path the pain message takes depends on the type of pain -- severe pain travels on the fast path, while lesser pain travels more slowly.

This process doesn't happen for people with CIPA. Studies have found that nerve conduction in people with CIPA appears to be fine, so it's not that the message is getting lost. Some studies have shown a decrease or absence of nerve fibers -- both unmyelinated and myelinated.
X is scientifically proven to Y.
PharaohSauron

Post by PharaohSauron »

My face would be totally normal, but no nose. Not even holes. Just think of how disturbing that would b- oh, wait, that's if I were a lame monster. (Anyone who gets this reference gets a round of Internets on me.)

It's a toss-up between a burn-scarred and basically disabled/dead arm, and being confined to a wheelchair, thanks to paralyzed legs. I'd be able to perfect my FDR impression then.
Remember, folks:
I'm watching you.
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

I wonder, if you are missing the cartilage structure at the front of the nose, is there any real harmful effect? except the risk of things falling in when you are lying down.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
whiteflags

Post by whiteflags »

Shades of Grey wrote: except the risk of things falling in when you are lying down.
You mean that isn't bad enough?
X is scientifically proven to Y.