what will you do when the game comes out?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
trhvmn
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:47 am
Location: Brazil

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by trhvmn » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:05 pm

I will download it and then add it to the list of visual novels that I have to read, but can never find the time to do so.

feels bad man
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari-kari rock.

User avatar
[LaZa]
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:11 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by [LaZa] » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Keita wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:1. Download & Install
2. Play Emi's Path
3. Start on the german translation of Emi's Path*
4. Play the other Paths in no particular order
5. Continue with the translation of the other paths

*I assume the scripts will not be grouped not by days but by paths in the full game
Why bother to translate it to such an ugly language as German?
German isn't ugly, it's pretty cool, it's just that mostly everyone hates their native language. Damn spanish...

On-Topic: Well, download it and play it, try to aim to Hanako's path, but I'll try to play it slowly, most games for me only last 1 day, so I guess I'll have to be more patient with KS :| .
...The answer? Use a gun, and if that don't work, use more gun!
----------------------
Ranking no more, mWahaha~!

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 6024
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Mirage_GSM » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Keita wrote:Why bother to translate it to such an ugly language as German?
Well, first of all, because I really enjoy translating. I'd do it for a living, but since I'm fairly certain my current job pays better (and since I don't exactly hate that job either), I stick to fan projects like KS. I've done other stuff before, like Fanfictions or Webcomics, but KS is so far the biggest project I'm involved in.
Secondly what Leotrak said. Sure, most germans learned english at school and speak it well enough to get by on a daily basis, but some simply prefer reading german, and many aren't so proficient, they would get all the nuances - especially Aura has a knack for including word plays that it's really challenging to translate. (I'm looking forward to working on Rin's path...)
Which brings me to the third reason: It really enhances the experience of the game. It is one thing to read KS and enjoy the story and art, and it is something completely different to work with the script files, pore over every sentence and every sentence, trying to pinpoint what exactly the writers were trying to convey and then determining how that character would say the same thing in german. For example in "The Deep End" several lines had me wondering whether the characters were intentionally talking gibberish because they were drunk or whether there is some obscure figure of speech or slang expression that neither me nor urban dictionary know about ... For example, I'm still not certain whether the phrase "Let's go trolling (for) women" has an actual meaning or not^^°
Also, you begin to notice subtle differences between the different writers. When I learned from the Manifest podcast that A22 had written a lot of the Kenji stuff in the VN, I wasn't surprised at all. Those scenes along with Shizune's path are probably the hardest to translate. Most lines have to be completely rewritten, because of his preferance for gerund, which sounds incredibly archaic when translated directly to german. Also he likes to use very long sentences. Look for it next time you play - those scenes are the most likely to actually use all three lines the text box offers ;-)
On the other hand Emi's scenes by Hivemind are a joy to translate. I usually do them in one go. I didn't keep the exact time, but I think I needed almost twice the time to translate "No Free Lunch" compared to "Exercise" despite the latter being about twice as long.
OK, this post went on for longer than I originally intended^^° Sorry if I bored some of you ;-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
Wrench Wench
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:22 am

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Wrench Wench » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:56 pm

German is a fairly interesting langauge. Sounds very aggressive.

User avatar
Keita
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:07 am
Location: Germany

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Keita » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:08 pm

@Mirage_GSM: It would´ve been enough if you had said you enjoy it.^^

@Wrench Wench: I don´t really think that I was aggressive. I did ask a question and stated my opinion at the same time.
Hanako=Lilly>Rin>(Misha)>Shizune>Emi
Mishimmie image #1089

User avatar
[LaZa]
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:11 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by [LaZa] » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:13 pm

I think she meant that the German Language sounds agressive.
...The answer? Use a gun, and if that don't work, use more gun!
----------------------
Ranking no more, mWahaha~!

User avatar
Keita
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:07 am
Location: Germany

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Keita » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:15 pm

So? Then I would like to hear why? That´s something I can´t comprehend.
Hanako=Lilly>Rin>(Misha)>Shizune>Emi
Mishimmie image #1089

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 6024
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Mirage_GSM » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:42 pm

To many who learn german as a foreign language or who simply hear it spoken it does sound aggressive. There are a few other languages for which the same can be said (i.e. Latin or Russian).
For example french or italian are langages where sentences can flow together into a sort of melody. In german all words are pronounced distinctly seperately, which makes the language sound clipped or aggressive.
I don't know if I explained that well. It's more what I feel when I hear a language than a scientific explanation. Maybe someone with a linguistics degree could elaborate.

Then again the fact that many Americans get most of their exposure to the german language from WWII movies might be a factor as well ;-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
Darroth
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Darroth » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Mirage_GSM wrote:To many who learn german as a foreign language or who simply hear it spoken it does sound aggressive. There are a few other languages for which the same can be said (i.e. Latin or Russian).
For example french or italian are langages where sentences can flow together into a sort of melody. In german all words are pronounced distinctly seperately, which makes the language sound clipped or aggressive.
I don't know if I explained that well. It's more what I feel when I hear a language than a scientific explanation. Maybe someone with a linguistics degree could elaborate.

Then again the fact that many Americans get most of their exposure to the german language from WWII movies might be a factor as well ;-)
What does American English sound like to a native German speaker?

User avatar
Keita
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:07 am
Location: Germany

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Keita » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:36 am

Darroth wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:To many who learn german as a foreign language or who simply hear it spoken it does sound aggressive. There are a few other languages for which the same can be said (i.e. Latin or Russian).
For example french or italian are langages where sentences can flow together into a sort of melody. In german all words are pronounced distinctly seperately, which makes the language sound clipped or aggressive.
I don't know if I explained that well. It's more what I feel when I hear a language than a scientific explanation. Maybe someone with a linguistics degree could elaborate.

Then again the fact that many Americans get most of their exposure to the german language from WWII movies might be a factor as well ;-)
What does American English sound like to a native German speaker?
I don´t really think you can give a language a definitive trait. I would rather say it depends on whom you speak with. If I have to choose a trait, I would say it sounds pretty cool to me.
Hanako=Lilly>Rin>(Misha)>Shizune>Emi
Mishimmie image #1089

User avatar
Wrench Wench
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:22 am

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Wrench Wench » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:05 am

American English sounds like an awful mangling of the English language to us Brits.

User avatar
Blood-Beryl
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:00 am
Location: Germany

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Blood-Beryl » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:56 pm

I will...

1.Drop everything else I am currently doing

2.(Try to) Play the Lilly path (and try to take my time so that I can enjoy it)

3.Follow Hanakos path (which I am veeeery curious about)

4.Follow Emis, Rins and Shizunes path (in that order if I do not change my mind while playing)

5.Look what the other forum-members are saying about it

And of course I will thank Suriko, Aura and Co. for their ridiculous amounts of work for something they do not even get paid for.
(Yeah, sounds a bit inappropriate not to thank them until the game is finished but I think that would be the best moment for that...)
Lilly > Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune

User avatar
neumanproductions
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:58 pm
Location: Breathing the same air as you
Contact:

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by neumanproductions » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Just wanting it not to come out during the middle of my finals week. If it comes out before February maybe I'll get a table at KitsuneKon and declare it to the entire Fox Valley Area.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)

User avatar
Wreckusu
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Wreckusu » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:12 pm

Reach for the tissues.
Image

User avatar
Alicia_Gunther
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:48 pm
Location: Canada Eh?

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Alicia_Gunther » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:25 pm

1. Choose random stuff and see what ending I get
2. Go for Rin (if I didn't get her the first time)
3. Go for everybody else
4. 100% CG
5. Do something else

Post Reply