what will you do when the game comes out?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Csihar

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by Csihar »

EternalLurker wrote:
Csihar wrote:Back on topic, I don't remember if I've replied in this thread yet, but I'm going to play the fuck out of KS as soon as it comes out. I can't do eight-hour marathons like some people though, so I'll probably end up playing like two or three hours a night till I've gotten 100%.
Eight hours? Will it even be that long? o_O I guess that's a good sign, but I didn't think the other acts would be THAT much longer than Act 1...
It took me a pretty long time to get 100% on the demo, probably a couple weeks at an hour or more a night, although making an accurate estimate would be impossible by now. It seemed that long anyway. Maybe I'm just a really slow-ass reader?
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

EternalLurker wrote:Eight hours? Will it even be that long? o_O I guess that's a good sign, but I didn't think the other acts would be THAT much longer than Act 1...
Considering you can spend over 5 hours to complete Act 1, which is roughly 20% of the full version? Yes :P

Now, what I'll likely end up doing:
1- Find out it came out a day or so late
2- Download immediately
3- forget I was downloading it
4- find it somewhere on my hard drive again when I'm trying to clean up my pc
5- install it
6- play one girl's path until I have a good ending
7- be satisfied for a while, forget about KS
8- find it again several months later
9- try playing for a different girl
10- finally return to the forums for a walkthrough with chart
11- get 100% (eventually)
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
ze spy

Post by ze spy »

1. Use my extra special 20 gigs a second internet connection.
2. Install the shit out of it.
3. MANLY PICNIC ROUTE
4. Make my own decisions not really going for anyone, just what seems best.
5. Rin path
6. Lilly path
7. Mock the devs for taking an hour to decide Hisao can't get it up with Lilly so he fucks her with a carrot.
8. Miss Bromont
9. Play Hanako path
10. Dawwwwwwwww
11. Realize I need to get outside
12. Go outside
13. Become a social rockstar
14. "What's Katawa Shoujo?"
"That weird motherfucker"
DESU

Post by DESU »

ze spy wrote:7. Mock the devs for taking an hour to decide Hisao can't get it up with Lilly so he fucks her with a carrot.
.......wat?
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Wrench Wench

Post by Wrench Wench »

DESU wrote:
ze spy wrote:7. Mock the devs for taking an hour to decide Hisao can't get it up with Lilly so he fucks her with a carrot.
.......wat?
It makes sense. Hisao's impotence stops him performing so he fucks the girl with a carrot. Not like she'll notice.
40%

Post by 40% »

I will be browsing the web, bored as usual, my hand against my cheek. Scrolling down the same page for the 100th time that day, I will see the words "Katawa Shoujo is out!". For a moment I will not give it any heed, but after a short time, it will sink in. Within 30 seconds I'll be on the download page and starting it up.

Generally, I'll read one in-game day's worth every day. And of course, will be going directly for Lilly's path. Won't be doing much else until I finish it.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Leotrak wrote:Considering you can spend over 5 hours to complete Act 1, which is roughly 20% of the full version? Yes :P
Oh, right, silly me: Act 1 isn't 20% of the full version. I skipped most of Act 1 in every path after my first, since most of the scenes are shared, so it only took like 45 minutes; that won't be the case for Acts 2+.
Ricky Controversy

Post by Ricky Controversy »

1. Put Cursor (A) at Download Button (B)
2. JAM IT IN!
3. ???
4. Profit

Derp.

In all seriousness, I'm going to do what I usually do, which is to use my intuition to guide me and build my way up to my favorite routes. I'll start with Shizune, then Emi, then Lilly, and then I'll flip a coin to determine order between Rin and Hanako.

Of course, if they spring a SUPAR SEKRET expanded Manly Picnic, then that is everyone's ultimate goal.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

Ricky Controversy wrote:Of course, if they spring a SUPAR SEKRET expanded Manly Picnic, then that is everyone's ultimate goal.
For this possibility alone, I will be starting with the bad end for Act 1, when the full version comes around 8)
EternalLurker wrote:Oh, right, silly me: Act 1 isn't 20% of the full version. I skipped most of Act 1 in every path after my first, since most of the scenes are shared, so it only took like 45 minutes; that won't be the case for Acts 2+.
Wait, wha? The devs have repeatedly said Act 1 will be roughly 15-20% of the full version. Granted, if you skip over every scene you saw on the first try, you'd dramatically shorten the time spent, but 45 minutes seems a bit much...
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Leotrak wrote:
EternalLurker wrote:...most of the scenes are shared [in Act 1]; that won't be the case for Acts 2+.
Wait, wha? The devs have repeatedly said Act 1 will be roughly 15-20% of the full version.
o_O Given the above observation, that seems weird, but you're right, I do remember them saying that. Huh.
Leotrak wrote:Granted, if you skip over every scene you saw on the first try, you'd dramatically shorten the time spent, but 45 minutes seems a bit much...
Guess I did misestimate it. Just played through all non-Shizune paths and timed it. 74 minutes, plus one entirely skipped scene that's about a minute and a half long otherwise (Kenji fig leaf <_< I'm in public right now). That seems a bit more reasonable: that's about 8 9 and a half hours for the full game, assuming the extra scenes of Shizune's path add another 12 minutes to Act 1.

EDIT: 9.5, not 8.5. I am terrible at math in summer.
Last edited by EternalLurker on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

EternalLurker wrote:Guess I did misestimate it. Just played through all non-Shizune paths and timed it. 74 minutes, plus one entirely skipped scene that's about a minute and a half long otherwise (Kenji fig leaf <_< I'm in public right now). That seems a bit more reasonable: that's about 8 and a half hours for the full game, assuming the extra scenes of Shizune's path add another 12 minutes to Act 1.
Wait, are you saying you played four paths in 74 minutes with no skipping?

'Cause it took me half an hour to play Rin's path even after skipping shared scenes.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

No, I skipped all the shared scenes after the first (Lilly) run. I just mimicked my original playthrough:

befriend Lilly, save at "Go For It" because that's obviously the switch to Emi's path, save at the last choice because that's obviously the Lilly/Hanako split
load save, get Hanako (adds less than eight minutes)
load save, befriend Emi (most scenes are shared here, adds very little)
notice that there weren't really any Rin options, reluctantly start a new game following Shizune's path while hoping for a Rin split (most scenes are shared)
realize that the Rin path is probably reached by avoiding everyone, switch away from Shizune's path and thus befriend Rin (new scenes here)

Hm. So skipping the Shizune path skips a pretty huge chunk of Act 1. Might be underestimating how much that adds to the time.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

I plan on playing routes in this order...

1. Emi, to prove that I love her that much, dammit.
2. Manly picnic whenever opportunity arises, regardless of what path I'm currently in, just to get it over with.
3. Rin
4. Shizune
5. Hanako
6. Lilly, hopefully saving the best for last... or at least my pre-full release favorite.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

This thread hurts my forehead with the frowning.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Keep in mind that Act 1 has a lot of overlapping scenes, but after Act 1 most of the paths will be pretty distinct with almost no overlap (according to past posts by Steiner*)

*Obergruppenführer Felix Steiner, i.e. "the Devs"