KS Act 1 runs on a 4th operating system: ReactOS!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nintendo Maniac 64

KS Act 1 runs on a 4th operating system: ReactOS!

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

I had wanted to try this before, but it wasn't until the newest version of ReactOS (0.3.10) that the OS even installed on my test PC.

So yeah, Katawa Shoujo Act 1 runs on a 4th operating system along with Windows, OS-X, and Linux: ReactOS.

It's not like it just barely works either, it works GREAT. It ran just as fast, if not faster, than it normally runs on my stripped-down "lite & fast" XP installation. Only a few things didn't work: fullscreen doesn't work unless on 800x600 resolution, the intro cinema has audio but no video, and the desktop shortcut doesn't appear until you restart or refresh (all three are ReactOS's fault since they work on Windows).

Note though, there's one HUGE catch - only Act 1 v1 works. For whatever reason, Act 1 v2 gives an error. Seems odd that just an incremental Ren'Py update could cause a compatability break.

EDIT: I've made a higher quality video here, with working sound:

Original video - (sorry for the quality - it was on real hardware and recording software doesn't work yet) Shows installation, game-play, and uninstaller. Watch it here:
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Katawa Shoujo's resident straight male kuutsundere.
(because just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

Vertical

Re: KS Act 1 runs on a 4th operating system: ReactOS!

Post by Vertical »

Well, the more that can enjoy the final product the better. But...

Shouldn't this be in the support forum?
Imagine me and you...
Duo2Cuo

Post by Duo2Cuo »

Vertical wrote:Shouldn't this be in the support forum?
I concur.

Also; Good find
Nintendo Maniac 64

It's not in Support since I'm not asking for help on issues; all bugs are going to be ReactOS's fault.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

ReactOS was designed to be almost fully compatible with Windows, so isn't it only natural that Ren'Py should run on it?
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Nintendo Maniac 64

In theory yes, but ReactOS is only in alpha state. Let's put it this way, there's a lot more apps that DON'T work on ReactOS than do. Two I can think of off the top of my head that don't work are VLC (at least v0.9.9 doesn't) and Media Player Classic Homecinema. (note that Mplayer does work, so it's not a media player thing)

DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Calling ReactOS its own OS is like calling WINE an OS. It may have original code, but its API is pure Win32, and that's what makes distinguishes platform dependent from platform neutral.

ReactOS is like the Microsoft JVM. A reverse engineered compatibility project, not its own thing.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Neither WINE nor any Java VM can work without an OS under them.
ReactOS works by itself because it's a full OS, no matter it tries to mimic the innards of Windows to make its software work.
What you say is akin to saying Linux is not an OS because it tries to work like Unix.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Linux isn't binary compatible with Unix, nor is it designed to be. See the difference? I support the idea of ReactOS, I just don't think there's a point to calling it a different OS that KSA1 runs on because once/if ReactOS is perfected the distinction will be meaningless.
Juno

Post by Juno »

And that's its point, but reverse engineering can only do so much. Lucky they can make Python and other things work already.
Nintendo Maniac 64

The video's up! It shows the installation, game-play, and the uninstaller.

Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

DuaneMoody wrote:Linux isn't binary compatible with Unix, nor is it designed to be. See the difference? I support the idea of ReactOS, I just don't think there's a point to calling it a different OS that KSA1 runs on because once/if ReactOS is perfected the distinction will be meaningless.
We could also for the sake of discussion say that Windows 95/98 aren't really OS's and that they are GUI's which sit of top of MS-DOS. But last time I checked they were classified as OS's.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Bara

Post by Bara »

Validus Razgriz wrote:
DuaneMoody wrote:Linux isn't binary compatible with Unix, nor is it designed to be. See the difference? I support the idea of ReactOS, I just don't think there's a point to calling it a different OS that KSA1 runs on because once/if ReactOS is perfected the distinction will be meaningless.
We could also for the sake of discussion say that Windows 95/98 aren't really OS's and that they are GUI's which sit of top of MS-DOS. But last time I checked they were classified as OS's.
I wonder how much of that classification of Windows 95/98 as OS's was driven by MicroSoft marketing department realizing that OS price > GUI price, neh? :roll:
Going into the wayback machine, when Windows 3.1 came out it was honestly marketed as a GUI over DOS and sold for about 30 bucks. When was the last time any one can remember MicroSoft even spitting on a customer for 30 bucks. Now that they can steamroller almost any organization, they want at least 100 bucks before they will consider stooping to look at a retail customer. (overstated I know and I'm not interested in an OS war. I just never will be enamored of 800 lbs gorillas behaving like 800 lbs gorillas.) :mrgreen:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Bara wrote:overstated I know and I'm not interested in an OS war
OS wars are only fun when you're talking about computers from the 80's. These Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix-like fights are so boring compared to C=64 vs. TI-99/4A vs. Atari 400/800 vs. ZX Spectrum vs. BBC Micro vs. Amstrad CPC vs. Old Macs vs. IBM clones.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Bara

Post by Bara »

Validus Razgriz wrote:
Bara wrote:overstated I know and I'm not interested in an OS war
OS wars are only fun when you're talking about computers from the 80's. These Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix-like fights are so boring compared to C=64 vs. TI-99/4A vs. Atari 400/800 vs. ZX Spectrum vs. BBC Micro vs. Amstrad CPC vs. Old Macs vs. IBM clones.
Stop it! You are making me all nostalgic. If I had some whiskey there would be Old Geek "Manly Tears" shed. :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?