Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mahorfeus

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Mahorfeus »

Blargh. Haven't run it on my laptop in ages, especially since I learned that my last battery had drain issues. I'll have to pick up on this again when I eventually get a desktop.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Umber wrote:
Talifan9 wrote: Maybe we can recruit some people to help make up for it?
I would pitch in if I knew what F@H was and if I could manage it.

Any help, here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

My computer spent over 12 hours grinding through a unit which resulted in 1,895 points. Which is less than a fifth of what my FAHControl told me it was going to be worth.

W.

T.

F.

Actually, this would explain my horrible showing the last three days. Restarts aren't curing this like they seemed to do last time.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Talifan9

Post by Talifan9 »

griffon8 wrote:My computer spent over 12 hours grinding through a unit which resulted in 1,895 points. Which is less than a fifth of what my FAHControl told me it was going to be worth.

W.

T.

F.

Actually, this would explain my horrible showing the last three days. Restarts aren't curing this like they seemed to do last time.
Delete the FAHCore stored on your pc so it forces a redownload?
Edit: I am curious as to what is causing all of your problems....I seem to lose roughly 25PPD when leaving my computer on for long intervals but it seems like yours just falls apart.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Talifan9 wrote:Delete the FAHCore stored on your pc so it forces a redownload?
Edit: I am curious as to what is causing all of your problems....I seem to lose roughly 25PPD when leaving my computer on for long intervals but it seems like yours just falls apart.
I'll try that. Just spent 16 hours crunching a unit that FAHControl said was worth 10,412 points. Stanford's page tells me it was worth 1,868 points.

Or maybe this was happening for the same reason fahsign wasn't working in my sig. Only noticed it yesterday. I like the proactive idea though, so I'll do that anyway.

Edit: Well, that might have done it. The interface for the FAHControl is quite different. Maybe there was some kind of update to it, because I can't figure out how to change it back to the look it had before.
Last edited by griffon8 on Mon May 27, 2013 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Griffon8's Writing
Bara

Post by Bara »

griffon8 wrote:My computer spent over 12 hours grinding through a unit which resulted in 1,895 points. Which is less than a fifth of what my FAHControl told me it was going to be worth.

W.

T.

F.

I'm having pretty good luck with F@H version 7.3.6, but I don't try to predict future results. I just wait until the work units are done. In the past they had some wildly different points being granted for different types of work units. It was hard to begin to guess what you would get awarded as a result and I learned to not get too wrapped up into one or two days or weeks of results.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Well that didn't work. 15 hours for 1,895 points. :(

Might be time to take a day off.

Griffon8's Writing
Talifan9

Post by Talifan9 »

griffon8 wrote:Well that didn't work. 15 hours for 1,895 points. :(

Might be time to take a day off.
Make sure your settings in both the advanced panel and the web panel are set to full. I had a glitch once where it didn't respond in either of them, and I had to change them to low idle and then back to full.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Talifan9 wrote:Make sure your settings in both the advanced panel and the web panel are set to full. I had a glitch once where it didn't respond in either of them, and I had to change them to low idle and then back to full.
I've got it set for the advanced panel, but where is the web panel? Bear in mind that I use a Mac.

Griffon8's Writing
Talifan9

Post by Talifan9 »

griffon8 wrote:
Talifan9 wrote:Make sure your settings in both the advanced panel and the web panel are set to full. I had a glitch once where it didn't respond in either of them, and I had to change them to low idle and then back to full.
I've got it set for the advanced panel, but where is the web panel? Bear in mind that I use a Mac.
Not sure if it is on mac, but here is how I get to it on windows:

griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Looking on the Stanford Folding Forum, I might have found the solution. They have instituted a passkey to authenticate the work units done by your username are credited to one person. Apparently, there was some kind of crediting bug which gave extra points to those without a passkey. So I was probably one of the lucky recipients of that.

You can find all the information on passkeys here.

The gist of it is if you don't have a passkey, you don't get bonus points. Once you do, and have worked 10 units, you get the bonus points. The passkey is tied to your username and email address.

Here is where I found out about this.

Griffon8's Writing
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Oh, hey! The_Moo_Prophet is back!

Griffon8's Writing
Talifan9

Post by Talifan9 »

griffon8 wrote:Oh, hey! The_Moo_Prophet is back!
Then it is time I kick into maximum overdrive.

Griffon, are you folding with gpu or cpu? Or both?
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Yes!!! I'm back!

11,852 points for one work unit. It was tough waiting through 10 more work units before I got the bonus points. Mostly because I wasn't certain it would work.

To answer your question Talifan9, looks like just cpu. The FAHControl sees the gpu, but doesn't give me any indication that it's using it. Does F@H not like NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB?

Griffon8's Writing
neio

Post by neio »

griffon8 wrote:Yes!!! I'm back!

11,852 points for one work unit. It was tough waiting through 10 more work units before I got the bonus points. Mostly because I wasn't certain it would work.

To answer your question Talifan9, looks like just cpu. The FAHControl sees the gpu, but doesn't give me any indication that it's using it. Does F@H not like NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB?
As a user with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 2 GB, I'm interested in the response. I've tried multiple times to get FAH to use my GPU, but I think the NVIDIA Optimus causes problems.
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.