Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Heartless Wanderer

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Heartless Wanderer »

Oh, bugger, I'd forgotten about Folding@home. I started running it on my PS3 overnights from time to time (not every night, mind you, I'd rather not burn out my PS3 by having it continuously on). At some point or other I forgot that part of my routine in the daily shuffle of things. Thanks for the unintentional reminder, forum peeps.
[Emibro], [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], [Rin Kin], Feminist, Two-timer

In other words, [Manly Picnic]
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

My PS3 has been folding continuously for 18 months with no signs of burning out.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Heartless Wanderer

Post by Heartless Wanderer »

Mirage_GSM wrote:My PS3 has been folding continuously for 18 months with no signs of burning out.
My room is terrible when it comes to temperature; all the heat just bottles up in here and takes forever to get the hell out when I try to open the door or window. And obviously I use it quite a lot for actual gaming, as does my brother. This is our second PS3, so I want to take better care of it than the first one.

Heat is the hated enemy of all electronic devices. If I were allowed to run the air conditioner more often I might chance it, but I can't. Since winter's rolling in I'll probably have my PS3 folding more often for a while, though.
[Emibro], [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], [Rin Kin], Feminist, Two-timer

In other words, [Manly Picnic]
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

Heartless Wanderer wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:My PS3 has been folding continuously for 18 months with no signs of burning out.
My room is terrible when it comes to temperature; all the heat just bottles up in here and takes forever to get the hell out when I try to open the door or window. And obviously I use it quite a lot for actual gaming, as does my brother. This is our second PS3, so I want to take better care of it than the first one.

Heat is the hated enemy of all electronic devices. If I were allowed to run the air conditioner more often I might chance it, but I can't. Since winter's rolling in I'll probably have my PS3 folding more often for a while, though.
Eh, this is a yes and no statement. I've been leaving my computer on to do folding, and because it's always registering as 100% usage, it's pretty much always running the fans (which I should clean because of a history of dust buildup). I was concerned, but the fact of the matter is that these chipsets are designed to endure high temperatures (but again, I should make sure dust isn't interfering with the airflow).

Not to say heat can't be a problem. I understand the whole point behind multiple-core CPUs to be that single cores were getting so hot they melted. I understand people have to be more wary with laptops, though, and F@H probably wouldn't run well on an xbox even if Microsoft would get behind it.
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Tried to restart folding on my PS3 recently.
Only got a message saying "The proect has been successfully concluded."
Any info on that?

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Fiandra

Post by Fiandra »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Tried to restart folding on my PS3 recently.
Only got a message saying "The proect has been successfully concluded."
Any info on that?
PS3 can no longer fold.
Information here and here
@Ygdrasel wrote:All's fair in poop and war.
-Insert favorite KS girls here-
teh twitter
teh steem
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Hmm, there doesn't seem to be a real reason except the PS3 can't compete with modern graphic cards.
I'd still think a bit is better than nothing, though...

Sore wa himitsu desu.
haname

Post by haname »

what is folding@home anyway??
Fiandra

Post by Fiandra »

haname wrote:what is folding@home anyway??
Folding@Home FAQ
@Ygdrasel wrote:All's fair in poop and war.
-Insert favorite KS girls here-
teh twitter
teh steem
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

And I'm back in the running! Thought I'd see how the new computer does at folding.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Apparently pretty good. I've gotten more points in the last eight days than I did in the whole two months I was folding before.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Griffon8's Writing
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Dumb question, but how do I actually join you guys? I found a page for starting your own team, but not for downloading the software or joining an existing team.

Sorry.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

If you find a place to put a team number or client number, the team is 167809. As for the software, the Folding Home Page should automatically tell you what to download.

Griffon8's Writing
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Thanks griffon. I'l start setting it up tonight.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Good luck. As for my own folding, I'm simply floored with how much better my current computer is. Less than half the time of my previous folding period and I've got ten times as many points.

Griffon8's Writing