A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

TheHeroicKnight

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by TheHeroicKnight »

Thank you ^^
Bara

Post by Bara »

Damn, just over one year since we started folding (team formed on 05 July, 2009) and we have put out some decent numbers. 31,331,576 work units done. Blows away my craptastic attempts at estimating where we would be at this time after our first 4 or so months of folding. Pretty freaking awesome; take a second and pat yourself on the back. :D

Isn't this worth a short Blog post? :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

No but I tweeted it. Because our twitter otherwise is just shimmie spam.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Bara

Post by Bara »

Aura wrote:No but I tweeted it. Because our twitter otherwise is just shimmie spam.
Yeah, that is a bit more appropriate than a Blog post. It isn't like we are done folding.

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

Just joined. Don't expect much from me.
Ryougi

Post by Ryougi »

Alright, main system is running at full power as of the other day. Should finally start seeing what it's capable of now. I am running:

Phenom II X4 940 - SMP on 3 cores
HD5850
HD4870

Athlon 64 X2 4200 - SMP on 2 cores

3 random P4s, maybe up to 5 soon

The first three reside in my main system and the others are in computers where I work, which I have been stealthily infecting recently >:D. Got a friend to donate the HD4870 to the cause recently (though it needed a new heatsink) and that's finally running now. Thanks to all that my room has turned into somewhat of a sauna, but I'll live.
Squirg

Post by Squirg »

I'm ashamed to say it took me so long to actually figure out how to download the client. Oh well, I got it now.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Oh, for those folks who like me have not been paying attention to the F@H site; they released a new version of the GPU client a few months ago. It is the GPU-3 client release Version 6.30r.2, Built May 20, 2010. I have read nothing about it so I have no idea what improvements it may have in it. I just happened to notice it since I was forced to install a new hard drive recently.

Wokka

Post by Wokka »

From what I read 2 months ago when I was getting the 470 set up, GPU3 is the only one that works for NVidia Fermi boards (in other words the 400 series). It does not have any advantage for earlier cards, in fact some people said it was a lot worse since the GPU3 rewards are lower than GPU2 for the same computing time. GPU3 also had some stability issues. For some people (like me) it is completely stable, for others running the same board and driver, it crashes repeatedly.

In other words, if GPU2 works for you there's no reason to update it to GPU3.

Wokka
You know, like Pac Man: wokka wokka wokka wokka

Bara

Post by Bara »

Wokka wrote:From what I read 2 months ago when I was getting the 470 set up, GPU3 is the only one that works for NVidia Fermi boards (in other words the 400 series). It does not have any advantage for earlier cards, in fact some people said it was a lot worse since the GPU3 rewards are lower than GPU2 for the same computing time. GPU3 also had some stability issues. For some people (like me) it is completely stable, for others running the same board and driver, it crashes repeatedly.

In other words, if GPU2 works for you there's no reason to update it to GPU3.

Wokka
Ummm, but running it would mean I have an excus... errrr, a justificati... ahhh, I mean a valid reason to buy 400 series cards for my computers. Sweet! :mrgreen:

AapoAlas

Post by AapoAlas »

@Bara: You don't need no valid reason. Just wanting it is fine *grin* (Proud owner of EVGA GTX 480.)
Nothing to be seen here. Do check out my little dabbling in the art of words, though.
Wokka

Post by Wokka »

I agree completely :D

Enjoy your card,
Wpkka
You know, like Pac Man: wokka wokka wokka wokka

Bara

Post by Bara »

Well, I splurged and got a GTX465... now all I am getting is errors trying to run GPU3. I managed to screw up my Denio installation at the same time, bother. What is screwy is that my GTS250 runs it with the latest Nvidia drivers without a hiccup. Bleh..... Gonna have to invest the time into RTFM at Stahn-fud's website. :|

Bara

Post by Bara »

Ayuh, finaly got off my lazy butt and did a fresh install of the latest Nvidia drivers and GPU 3. Folding like crazy now on my new card. Next I have to get all 3 cores of my CPU firing with Denio and the SMP client... If it goes like I remember it last time, it will take a few days to get it right. Oh well maybe I'll read the instructi... ah who the heck am I kidding. I'll blindly install it; then punch keys like a chimp on crystal meth until sheer random chance makes it work. :mrgreen:

Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

I'm intending to install Linux on an old laptop of mine and use it as a fold/seedbox. What would be a good build to use? 64 bit processor if that makes a difference.