Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Bara

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Bara »

Scarlet Fox wrote:I've only completed one Folding@Home unit before... I guess when my PS3 ships here I'll start doing it more, I'll support yer, KS. When the fan kicks in, though, it spooks me. As long as I keep it in a well ventilated area, it'll be alright, right? Also, this talk of the PS3 makes me more excited for the E3 press conference tomorrow morning (or more like later today).
I was able to run my PS3 pretty much 24/7 for over a year before I moved it into the cabinet. I understand the newer PS3's also are less power hungry than the older ones so they make heating a smaller issue. As long as you blow it out with compressed air every few weeks and have a good surge suppressor to keep it from eating any power spikes I think you can run it as long as you want.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
DESU

Post by DESU »

Pumpkineat3r wrote:
DESU wrote:then again, the GPU performance has suddenly been dropping like a rock for a short period of time, which pisses me off when playing tf2 and my fps drops to 2 in a firefight.
I'm going out on a limb here and saying you have bad GPU drivers. When was the last time you updated them?

Also, friend \tg/ Stryk3r and play with me some time.
not too long ago, it came out with the windows update. and I don't think it's the drivers, as this problem started after the driver update, but since I discovered that 7 is extremely susceptible to corruptions, you think i should uninstall them and reinstall them?

also, after running my cores overnight, the CPU seems to be working properly again. go figure.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

DESU wrote:you think i should uninstall them and reinstall them?

also, after running my cores overnight, the CPU seems to be working properly again. go figure.
That's worth a shot; rolling back to the last version that worked is a possible fallback. My card malfunctioned for a while after a driver update in those same two applications, and started working again when ATI released another version about two painstaking weeks later.
DESU

Post by DESU »

alright, i rolled back the driver, still a problem
then i reinstalled the client, still a problem
then i completely uninstalled and reinstalled the video card drivers, still a problem
it has to be either the video card dieing or windows.

either way, my fps still drops to 2 in firefights on occasion and folding@home gpu client will not work long enough to finish a complete work unit (when it decides to work at all).
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Bara

Post by Bara »

DESU wrote:alright, i rolled back the driver, still a problem
then i reinstalled the client, still a problem
then i completely uninstalled and reinstalled the video card drivers, still a problem
it has to be either the video card dieing or windows.

either way, my fps still drops to 2 in firefights on occasion and folding@home gpu client will not work long enough to finish a complete work unit (when it decides to work at all).
Is your GPU showing signs of overheating when it slows to a crawl? Or does it happen at other times too?

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Wokka

Post by Wokka »

I can't even run the gpu client and a game at the same time. The system freezes for 3-30 seconds then either closes the game or blue screens and it needs a reboot. Tried updating the drivers, no help, then decided I'd just turn the client off while gaming. Maybe things will change with the new card.

Speaking of which...I decided to treat myself and ordered a GTX470 for the game computer. So as long as GPU3 stays stable (it is for some people, not for others) it'll add 12k ppd once the hot season ends. I went ahead and built a dedicated folding computer to run the old card so I'll keep those 6k ppd in the farm. It'll also run 24/7 (most of the time...probably turn it off while away on vacation)

In other words, my production should go back up soon.
Wokka
You know, like Pac Man: wokka wokka wokka wokka

Ricardo Nation

Post by Ricardo Nation »

I have a CPU client and a PS3 client running now. Contribution! :3
Bara

Post by Bara »

Wokka wrote: Speaking of which...I decided to treat myself and ordered a GTX470 for the game computer. So as long as GPU3 stays stable (it is for some people, not for others) it'll add 12k ppd once the hot season ends. I went ahead and built a dedicated folding computer to run the old card so I'll keep those 6k ppd in the farm. It'll also run 24/7 (most of the time...probably turn it off while away on vacation)

In other words, my production should go back up soon.
Wokka
Did your new card get installed? You had a nice 16.8k day of production yesterday. :D

Wokka

Post by Wokka »

Bara wrote:Did your new card get installed? You had a nice 16.8k day of production yesterday. :D
Yep :) and it does give 12000ppd according to fahman.

Good news/Bad news: folding seems to be the only thing it does well. At first it crashed the computer after 5-10 minutes of doing anything gpu intensive (games or folding). So, I figured it was the power supply. They claim it will work with a 550 watt; all I can say is maybe it would if it were single rail and nothing else were attached to it. I was running a dual rail 650 and only had 44 amps total available -- it wants 46. So I underclocked the card 15% and ordered a single rail Corsair 750watt PS. That at least got it stable enough to fold last night and today.

In the meantime, the main game I play (City of Villains) stopped running. When the card first arrived the game would run for a few minutes before the PS gave up and turned off. Now the game crashes on load. I reinstalled drivers, then the game itself. No luck in getting it working again. I decided to wait until the new PS arrived before doing anything else to fix that.

New PS arrived today, it's installed, game still crashes but F@H now folds at full speed. I'm waiting for current folding unit to finish so I can load a hard drive image from a few days ago (when the game worked).

Oh yeah, and my linux install hates the new card and will only boot into console mode...I have no idea how to update the video drivers from console mode (I'm a linux newb). I'm sure I'll find the answer on the ubuntu forum but that's for another time. I vaguely recall that booting into console mode is the first step so I'm halfway there already.

wheeee
Wokka

Wren

Post by Wren »

If you are using nvidia drivers, I found this sometime ago on a linux wow gamer forums to install the latest drivers from nvidia. I use ubuntu lucid 10.04. Haven't had issues with this yet.

If you are trying to install nVidia drivers from their website you might receive the following error

ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module ‘nvidia.ko’. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is not supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.

To fix the above error message use the following procedure

1) Download Newest Nvidia drivers from nvidia site.

2) Open module blacklist as admin

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Add these lines and save:

blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist rivatv
3) Uninstall any previously installed Nvidia drivers:

sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*
4) Reboot your computer

5) When an error message pops up saying that Ubuntu cannot load Nvidia drivers, choose Exit to terminal (Exit to console)

6) Login and cd to the directory where you saved your file

7)Install drivers

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.36.31-pkg2.run (or whatever version it is now)
8.) Start GDM

sudo service gdm start
Last edited by Wren on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"They leave. Because they should, or they find someone else. And some of them...some of them, forget me. I suppose in the end....they break my heart." - Tenth Doctor talking about his companions.

BG Artist - Somnova Studios - Missing Stars Project
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Wokka wrote:
Bara wrote: Oh yeah, and my linux install hates the new card and will only boot into console mode...I have no idea how to update the video drivers from console mode (I'm a linux newb). I'm sure I'll find the answer on the ubuntu forum but that's for another time. I vaguely recall that booting into console mode is the first step so I'm halfway there already.
If running a debian-based system, try going into a root prompt (or just sudo, whatever) and then enter:

apt-cache search <manufacturer>
Where manufacturer is nvidia or ati. That'll search the apt cache for occurrences of <manufacturer>, which will show you the names of the packages that contain drivers for that manufacturer. (And a lot more, too, though)

Then just apt-get install the packages that look like the drivers you want and reboot or something.

Or optionally do what wren's paste tells you to.
Wokka

Post by Wokka »

Sweet, thanks! I'm running Kubuntu 9.10 so both posts are good for me. I need to upgrade to 10.4

And the drive reload went fine and both the game and F@H now work. Apparently something reset something on one of the crashes and caused something else not to work. Blah, done, don't want to think about it too much.

I went ahead and gave it a manual ~10% overclock and it seems to be fine with it. I'll eventually do a more exhaustive scan for a better overclock but right now it's 12.8k ppd and only 2C hotter than no overclock at 99% load.

Wokka

Bara

Post by Bara »

Wokka wrote:I went ahead and gave it a manual ~10% overclock and it seems to be fine with it. I'll eventually do a more exhaustive scan for a better overclock but right now it's 12.8k ppd and only 2C hotter than no overclock at 99% load.

Wokka
Wow, that 470GTX kicks butt on the GPU Work Units! I guess I better just retire. :mrgreen:

TheHeroicKnight

Post by TheHeroicKnight »

So I joined it on my PS3 under my normal username Rai (which was surprisingly already taken on these forums) but how do I get the cool signature that tracks stats?
Wokka

Post by Wokka »

TheHeroicKnight wrote:So I joined it on my PS3 under my normal username Rai (which was surprisingly already taken on these forums) but how do I get the cool signature that tracks stats?
Edit your signature via the user control panel, add this:

[fahsign]Rai[/fahsign]
which will give you:

Welcome to the team.
Wokka