Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Suriko »

There is now an official Katawa Shoujo F@H team.

Its title is KatawaShoujo, and the number to input into your client is 167809.

The team page is here.
Bara

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Bara »

What the hell, I'm allready running SETI@Home on 3 computers. Why not add another project. :wink:
Oh yes, don't forget it runs on PS3 also. Which is the route I'll go. Folding@Home does not seem to be a supported BIONIC project.

P.S. Attached to KS Folding@Home with my PS3. I don't think the 23 work units I have already done get credited to KS team though.
Last edited by Bara on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
The Commissar

Post by The Commissar »

Ah yeah, I remember this. I forgot to redownload when switching to my laptop.

Unfortunately, I am already in a team.
Resident "morale officer".
abscess

Post by abscess »

Interesting. Count me in.
Siiiiigh....
Duo2Cuo

Post by Duo2Cuo »

I'm up for actually contributing something
Synoptic

I don't get it...

Post by Synoptic »

Wikipedia wrote:Folding@home (sometimes abbreviated as FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing (DC) project designed to perform computationally intensive simulations of protein folding and other molecular dynamics (MD). It was launched on October 1, 2000, and is currently managed by the Pande Group, within Stanford University's chemistry department, under the supervision of Professor Vijay Pande. Folding@home is the most powerful distributed computing cluster in the world, according to Guinness,[1] and one of the world's largest distributed computing projects.[2] The goal of the project is "to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases."[3]

Purpose:
Accurate simulations of protein folding and misfolding enable the scientific community to better understand the development of many diseases, including sickle-cell disease (drepanocytosis), Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, mad cow disease, cancer, Huntington's disease, cystic fibrosis, osteogenesis imperfecta, alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency, and other aggregation-related diseases.
I really really don't get it... read the whole wiki article and so far, I got this:

Download "x" and let your CPU fry to help treat cancer. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can someone explain please? lol
"...!"
chocolatebear

Re: I don't get it...

Post by chocolatebear »

Synoptic wrote:Download "x" and let your CPU fry to help treat cancer. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, that was pretty good, really can't hurt you processor, only way you are go to hurt that is by removing the heatsink or upping the voltage or something else along those lines.
Juno

Post by Juno »

It just will use your CPU intensively with all those calculations and such. Hence "fry" it.
chocolatebear

Post by chocolatebear »

I don't know about intensively, unless you are running a P3, I personally only use the gpu edition because it is more effective.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Synoptic wrote:I really really don't get it... read the whole wiki article and so far, I got this:
Download "x" and let your CPU fry to help treat cancer. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hmm, basicly the projects purpose is to model proteins found in the human body. Proteins are some of the fundamental building blocks in the human body and when they get screwed up and start making defective copies of themselves (prions are what messed up copies of proteins are called if IRC) that can cause certain diseases. If you ever heard of "Mad Cow" disease that is one. They say Alzheimers is another.
Basicly they have a crap-load of data about protiens that they can't evaluate because of insufficient time/money to run it on a fast super computer. So they break it up into small packets and folks who sign up use their computers and consoles to work the answers out and send the work back to Stanford.
I've been running another distributed computing program for a couple years and have contributed over 211,000 Cobblestones (whatever the hell a Cobblestone is) of computations.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Joined. I can't even summon up one of my usual excuses for not doing this, considering that it can run during the wee hours of the night and when I'd be really just leaving the computer idling, at no cost whatsoever.
Since after installing it seems to cause no performance degradation at all on my machine, that's even more reason. The research being work- and project- related is a perfect cherry on the cake.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Synoptic

Post by Synoptic »

Bara wrote:Basicly they have a crap-load of data about protiens that they can't evaluate because of insufficient time/money to run it on a fast super computer.
That's what I was thinking at first, "they don't have enough CPU power" but then I thought, "wtf? unrunable programs for our century? wtf is with that data? comes from the future?" so I dropped the thought, thus remaining with confused.

Now you just confirmed my thought.
Thanks really.
"...!"
Seroanth

Post by Seroanth »

I'll leave this overnight on my PS3, as the damned wireless function won't connect to Playstation Network, so it's either Laptop internet or PS3 internet.
abscess

Post by abscess »

It seems my damn PC refuses to do something good. I'll try switching over to windows instead of ubuntu.....
Siiiiigh....
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

even after reading this whole thread, i still don't get it