Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Bara

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Bara »

If you want to scare yourself, look at some of the totals of the teams in the top 100. :oops:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Palodin

Post by Palodin »

Bara wrote:If you want to scare yourself, look at some of the totals of the teams in the top 100. :oops:
Well its kind of a given we'll never get that far, I think a lot of those teams have entire networks of PC's working for them, ridiculous. I mean:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... teamnum=33

Our entire team combined would rank about 800 on their list, long way to go. For a team consisting of random people though, we're doing brilliantly.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

For our size and the length of time we've been folding, I'd say we're doing quite well. I can only wonder how many more people will join after the game is released.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Bara

Post by Bara »

G3n0c1de wrote:For our size and the length of time we've been folding, I'd say we're doing quite well. I can only wonder how many more people will join after the game is released.
Heh, it would be rather mind blowing if everyone who downloaded the final completed one WU.

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

We will bundle F@H with full release.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Bara

Post by Bara »

☆♥Aura♥☆ wrote:We will bundle F@H with full release.
Ya hear theat Delta? Best get crackin'!! :roll:

Malinor

Post by Malinor »

It's not only the fact that they have entire networks folding for them, it's also the fact that F@H has been around for years, and the KS team is...two weeks old?

Slow and steady wins the race, give it time and getting us into the top 1,000 or so isn't too much of a stretch. Above that and we'll need a lot more manpower though, so yeah, maybe when the full game comes out. =)

Edit: To expound on what I just said, I decided to look up some stats.

...Okay, I was going to type up a big paragraph to show that KS is growing VERY quickly compared to almost every team, even now, but I think a simple screenshot from the statistics site will do it more justice than I can with words.

(Hope that picture isn't too big, I had to shrink it but much smaller and it'd be hard to read)

For slightly more comparison, if you take a gander at the teams ranked 400 - 500, we're already gaining at a faster rate than...91 of them. Meaning that even at the current rate, KS would eventually make it's way into the ~400 area. Probably a little higher, but it spikes up really fast once you get closer to 100/200.

An amazing showing for a such a random mashup of people brought together by something so unusual as KS. =)
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

That's a tall order, but that's a really great move by you guys. I can only imagine how much more folding will be done.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Malinor wrote:For slightly more comparison, if you take a gander at the teams ranked 400 - 500, we're already gaining at a faster rate than...91 of them. Meaning that even at the current rate, KS would eventually make it's way into the ~400 area. Probably a little higher, but it spikes up really fast once you get closer to 100/200.

An amazing showing for a such a random mashup of people brought together by something so unusual as KS. =)
Sure, right now we are gaining ground fast but that vector of change will only go so far; eventualy a plateau will be reached where the numbers we generate will be equal to other teams. The only thing that can change where that happens is adding more CPU's folding. I also can foresee an uptick in participation when the complete version comes out also. Even just chipping in 4 or 5 WU's, it all adds up.

Yeah, I guess you can say we are an "eclectic" group of folks that are intertested in KS. :wink:

Malinor

Post by Malinor »

Yes, and that plateau is, at least at this moment, right around rank 400. Meaning that given enough time, without changing the amount of CPUs working at all, the KS team could easily find itself in the top 500.

It's pretty cool to think about. =)
abscess

Post by abscess »

Dammit!
I haven't looked on how to make FAH run properly in Ubuntu.... My lazy ass is too...um.. lazy. Anyway, Malinor, you post a very interesting pic.
Siiiiigh....
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

G3n0c1de wrote:
That's a tall order, but that's a really great move by you guys. I can only imagine how much more folding will be done.
Bundling F@H with KS makes no sense because when KS is running, you won't have any spare cycles, and when it isn't, you will be busy putting out the fire your CPU caught from running it.
Bara

Post by Bara »

delta wrote:
G3n0c1de wrote:
Bundling F@H with KS makes no sense because when KS is running, you won't have any spare cycles, and when it isn't, you will be busy putting out the fire your CPU caught from running it.
Aside from any objections F@H might have about having their client bundled with someone else’s program; I know for sure I'd object to having a totally different additional program installed along with the one I originally chose to install.
As far as flaming out CPU's/GPU's? A little bit of an overstatement, the GPU client is the only one with a perceptible hit on performance. The other clients surrender cycles quite obediently. I compromise by running the GPU client when I'm asleep or away for extended amounts of time. :D

Malinor

Post by Malinor »

I had (and still do) assumed that Aura was joking. As "noble" as it may be, it wouldn't make any sense at all. I think I'd have been much less inclined to do this if the program had just showed up with the demo.

Edit: If the Devs really like the idea and wanted to see what KS could accomplish, it'd probably be easiest to make a new topic (and thus none of the nonsense in this one) about it with the information gleaned from this one, and sticky it. Possibly with random stat updates and the like. It would be there for people to see so they could join if they wanted, but it would not be pushed upon them which is pretty much a straight ticket to Hatesville anywhere on the Internet.
abscess

Post by abscess »

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/FoldingFAQ.pdf wrote:What about security issues?
We have worked very hard to maintain the best security possible with modern computer science methodology. Our software will upload and download data only from our data server here at Stanford.
The data server doesn't download any executable code to your computer. Actually, our software is considerably safer than the browser you're using to read this! How is this possible? We take extensive measures to check all of the data entering your computer and the results we send back to Stanford with 2048 bit digital signatures. If the signatures don't match (on either the input out the output) the client will throw away the data and start again. This ensures, using the best software security measures developed to date (digital signatures and PKI in version 3.0), that we are keeping the tightest possible security. Finally, the client/screen saver are available for download only from this web site, so that we can guarantee the integrity of the software.
We do not support Folding@home software obtained elsewhere and prohibit others to distribute the software.
I think this concludes the current discussion.... supposing that it was a serious one (which I doubt) and not just Aura trolling us, poor forum goers (which is likely) :D
Last edited by abscess on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Siiiiigh....