Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Palodin

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Palodin »

berserker29 wrote:KS team has already broken the 100 WU mark!
Hah, there were only three people listed yesterday, and now another 33 people have completed WU's today and got on the list. I'd be up there too, but my PC decided it wanted to die during a WU and start a new one. Nothing leaving my PC on overnight can't fix I guess.
-abscess

Post by -abscess »

Wooo!! 75% in my second WU!
After this one I'll try again to do it from Ubuntu. My WIndows partition is slow as shit and I'm tired of it.... Anyone's running F@H in Ubuntu? Did you have any problem running it?

........ seriously, I should start logging in again. It's a bit annoying to type a confirmation code every time I post...
Bara

Post by Bara »

Silentcook wrote:One week or so, but I'm not bothered by my lack of presence on the teampage - the logfile says that there's trouble moving work.
Hmm, I was able to get WU's from F@h website to run today. Nothing completed yet except for the stuff done on my PS3. Guess if I run into problems when they are ready to send WU's back I'm going to have to figure out how to decipher these F@h client logfiles. Happy, happy! Joy, joy! :roll:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
The Commissar

Post by The Commissar »

This is going incredibly slow for me. I completed 10 out of 500 in 2 hours. Is this normal? It was fine on my old computer.
Resident "morale officer".
Devvy

Post by Devvy »

I don't have a very powerful computer, but why not right? Every bit helps.
Palodin

Post by Palodin »

The Commissar wrote:This is going incredibly slow for me. I completed 10 out of 500 in 2 hours. Is this normal? It was fine on my old computer.
It depends on the work unit. I've had 500 piece work units that have taken over a day to complete, and 1500 piece units that have finished in a matter of hours. Also, are you using your PC for anything? Will go faster whilst idle.
The Commissar

Post by The Commissar »

Palodin wrote:
The Commissar wrote:This is going incredibly slow for me. I completed 10 out of 500 in 2 hours. Is this normal? It was fine on my old computer.
It depends on the work unit. I've had 500 piece work units that have taken over a day to complete, and 1500 piece units that have finished in a matter of hours. Also, are you using your PC for anything? Will go faster whilst idle.
No, and even then it still takes forever. I will reinstall it to see if that helps.

Edit: Does Deadline date mean the day it will be finished, or when it's due? Because August 23rd is a long way away.
Resident "morale officer".
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Deadline is when it's due. They're calculated according to how large/complicated the WU is.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Eh, despite what the F@h FAQ says I managed to get the CPU and the GPU-2 running on a dual core computer. It does NOT run well on my rig. It put a hell of a performance hit on my computer, but cranking the max CPU usage down to 90% helped enough. When the GPU-2 finished the first WU and sent it in it got that "unstable machine" message in the log File and did not start running the new WU. I think SC mentioned getting this message in a previous post? Exiting and re-starting GPU-2 did the trick. I was able to DL and start running a new WU.

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Bara

Post by Bara »

Just curious, So far I have seen WU's in the size of 15K, 8K, 5K, and 1.5K; are these in line with what others are seeing ?

Duo2Cuo

Post by Duo2Cuo »

Bara wrote:Just curious, So far I have seen WU's in the size of 15K, 8K, 5K, and 1.5K; are these in line with what others are seeing ?
anywhere from 300 to 10k
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

500/1500/1500 so far.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

5000/15000/1500.

:|
Bara

Post by Bara »

Ok, so it looks like from responses so far it looks like 10K is "average" for a WU? I'll take that as a working assumption for now anyway. I'm just trying to figure how best run the client.

Malinor

Post by Malinor »

Despite having followed KS for a while now, this is my first post in the forums, huzzah.

As far as F@H goes, I've actually known about it for a while but the idea to actually, you know...help never really crossed my mind until I saw the blog post, don't know why that is.

As far as the "size" of the WUs, are we talking the points received for completing them or the number of "steps" required to complete them?

My GPU finished one earlier that was IIRC about 2,000,000 steps, and gave me ~500 points, now it's working on one that is 8,000,000 steps. My CPU on the other hand has one that's 500,000 steps and has been going for the length of the first GPU WU and 50% of the second one and is only currently at 25%.

The numbers are a bit unwieldy, but I have a fairly capable computer and I'm glad to donate its constant idleness to something more worthy than Progress Quest.

That all aside...um...Rin is the best. >_> Yes.