Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Kota

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Kota »

Haha, my W7 tower BSODs too, dunno why. Typically it takes a couple of days though, so it doesn't bother me. My laptop, on the other hand, is completely stable.
2600k 4.5GHz bigadv folder, occasionally an additional 860 2.8GHz smp folder.
DESU

Post by DESU »

alright, GPU client's working now, but with a performance ranging between 40-80 ns/day (i remember that number being much higher and not being per day) and the viewer isn't working right. The CPU is still slow as fuck, even though it reports 100% cpu usage

yet, the XP computer that doesn't have the proprietary factory install and bad/missing drivers is still going strong. I love XP.

edit: apparently the performance is some really high number, somewhere in 5-6 digits, but nosedives to 2 digits when I open the viewer. I don't know why, but both clients used to work fine, now they don't.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

Which security programs are you guys running? My first instinct is that you've either got malware problems or you don't have the specs for W7.
DESU wrote:the viewer isn't working right.
Last time I was on F@H's forums there was some chatter about the viewer not working with some GPUs. That may or may not be fixed, or even relevant to your machine, but it may be worth looking into.
DESU

Post by DESU »

Well the strange thing is that for a while everything was working fine on both clients, then suddenly one day they both stopped working properly. The only thing that fixed it was a complete reformat and factory install, and I am NOT doing that again.
ImageImage
>Completion 28%
Wren

Post by Wren »

Been getting SMP errors on my linux box lately, not sure if a bad client is coming in when work starts to perform. Will keep an eye on it.
"They leave. Because they should, or they find someone else. And some of them...some of them, forget me. I suppose in the end....they break my heart." - Tenth Doctor talking about his companions.

BG Artist - Somnova Studios - Missing Stars Project
Bara

Post by Bara »

Hmmm, I've recently noticed a few "no work units available" messages for my Win7 SMP2 (Denio) client but my Nvidia GPU and XP installs are solid. Sometimes a fresh install helps clear up BSOD's. :(

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
DESU

Post by DESU »

Bara wrote:Sometimes a fresh install helps clear up BSOD's.
i am NOT reinstalling the OS for the 3rd time in less than half a year of getting this thing. then again, the GPU performance has suddenly been dropping like a rock for a short period of time, which pisses me off when playing tf2 and my fps drops to 2 in a firefight. I might do it, but not now, cause I would need to back everything up.
ImageImage
>Completion 28%
Kota

Post by Kota »

Why would you even use the viewer, anyway? I've always had performance drop when using the viewer.

PS3 is currently out of commission, due to my router dropping wireless. Buying this one instead: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6833320023

Will be back soon.
DESU

Post by DESU »

Kota wrote:Why would you even use the viewer, anyway? I've always had performance drop when using the viewer.

PS3 is currently out of commission, due to my router dropping wireless. Buying this one instead: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6833320023

Will be back soon.
I use the viewer to see if anything is even happening.

also:
>gaming on wireless
get an ethernet cable you trendfaggot, wireless wasn't built for gaming.
ImageImage
>Completion 28%
Kota

Post by Kota »

DESU wrote:
Kota wrote:Why would you even use the viewer, anyway? I've always had performance drop when using the viewer.

Will be back soon.
also:
>gaming on wireless
get an ethernet cable you trendfaggot, wireless wasn't built for gaming.
Trendfaggot? It's a necessity. I have more than 4 computers hooked up to the router, so I can't wire the PS3.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Kota wrote:Trendfaggot? It's a necessity. I have more than 4 computers hooked up to the router, so I can't wire the PS3.
You don't want to use a hub? Lowest priority/oldest machines can hook in off of it.

I stopped running my PS3 because my girlfriend dragged me down to freakin' Ikea and made me buy a real cabinet for my stereo, game consoles and my tv. Now the ethernet cable is too short to reach, and if it was longer it would have to run right smack across the living room floor to reach the new cabinet. Let alone the heat issues, that dang cabinet has miserable ventilation and builds up heat fast when I run the PS3.

The upside is I have to admit the living room does look way better with all the equipment gathered into a nice cabinet and the cabinet keeps the dust off my stuff.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Kota

Post by Kota »

I don't have enough cords, and the PS3 is pretty mobile; I bring it all over the house.
DESU

Post by DESU »

Kota wrote:I don't have enough cords, and the PS3 is pretty mobile; I bring it all over the house.
you need more cables for cheap? give me a box of ethernet cable and a whole bunch of RJ-45 plugs and I will MAKE you a shitload of cables, any length.

but back to the purpose of this thread:
I seem to have noticed something with the GPU client: even though it seems messed up, back when it worked it would severely sap performance the the point where you could clearly see the performance drop by dragging a window around the screen, but now that it's messed up, it doesn't seem to be sapping performance as much as before (though it still EUE's and i have to close it for a long time before it decides to work again).

thought I don't know if my GPU problems stem from the fact that the card is already partially broken and probably dieing or because of windows 7. I'm guessing windows because of the fact that the CPU client is still messing up as well.

edit: apparently the 2000 client has had a work unit and been working on it for a while now, but not the 98.
ImageImage
>Completion 28%
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

DESU wrote:then again, the GPU performance has suddenly been dropping like a rock for a short period of time, which pisses me off when playing tf2 and my fps drops to 2 in a firefight.
I'm going out on a limb here and saying you have bad GPU drivers. When was the last time you updated them?

Also, friend \tg/ Stryk3r and play with me some time.
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

I've only completed one Folding@Home unit before... I guess when my PS3 ships here I'll start doing it more, I'll support yer, KS. When the fan kicks in, though, it spooks me. As long as I keep it in a well ventilated area, it'll be alright, right? Also, this talk of the PS3 makes me more excited for the E3 press conference tomorrow morning (or more like later today).