Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

G3n0c1de

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by G3n0c1de »

Bara wrote:Does anyone think I'm totaly out of my gourd (quiet in the peanut gallery there, I haven't finished the question yet!) if I say we could realisticly be knocking on the door of 14 million total points by the time we hit our one year aniversary of the KS F@H Team? (July 5th is when Suriko registered the team)
Looking back, I'd say you're a pessimist.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
ShinseiTom

Post by ShinseiTom »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Bara wrote:Does anyone think I'm totaly out of my gourd (quiet in the peanut gallery there, I haven't finished the question yet!) if I say we could realisticly be knocking on the door of 14 million total points by the time we hit our one year aniversary of the KS F@H Team? (July 5th is when Suriko registered the team)
Looking back, I'd say you're a pessimist.
Whoa, we have over 18 million points from 44309 work units and as of typing this we are team number 300 out of 175457. That's a heck of an achievement in and of itself! And we'll only keep going too.
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

Duo2Cuo wrote:Finally got my second machine running F@H so I can pump out a solid 3000 PPD

Just for curiosities sake, How many machines do you guys have running?
Currently a single desktop running the basic and GPU clients. My old desktop and laptop are still the source of most of my cumulative points, but even before I added the GPU client this machine was outdoing the combined output of both those old relics. The laptop's Windows license expires soon, so I may have a friend who's really into folding help me put Linux and the SMP client on it.
Wreckusu wrote:That's pretty impressive. I just started F@H up about ten minutes ago. Been meaning to get around to doing it for ages since my PC is basically doing bugger all overnight. Any special settings or the like I should keep in mind? Or will it just run fine from the get go.
Which version do you plan on running? The basic client you can fire and forget. There are a few programs it doesn't always get along with (Media Player Classic and Sins of a Solar Empire on my old desktop), but it has a pause function for times you need it to stop working. GPU is a bit harder to set up, but once it's running you shouldn't have to mess with it very often. I haven't used the SMP client, but I'm told it's more difficult than the other two.
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

Running the basic CPU client right now, had it going for a few days. Not noticed any issues with it, even with Media Player Classic running. One thing is though my PC got shut down last night while it was folding (due to unscrupulous family members switching stuff off while I was out) and since I've started it up it isn't displaying the status as it was before. Previously when I moused over it'd say something like 1100/1500 which I assume was how far it was through the current work unit. Now it just says "number of units completed: 4". Planning on starting up the GPU client too but I'd only be able to leave it on overnight and when I'm at work as it's likely to impact my performance when I'm actually making use of my computer.
DESU

Post by DESU »

Duo2Cuo wrote:Finally got my second machine running F@H so I can pump out a solid 3000 PPD

well I should have 4 clients running. The GPU on the 8600 GT, and 3 cpu clients, one on the 2.3 GHZ, one on a 1ghz (i usually leave it on, so I figured i'd put a client on it), and one on my 550MHZ computer that has loved me for over 10 years. I know the 550MHZ can't do much, but that computer is my baby, and.... well........ I was feeling a little depressed for not doing something for hanako, so I gave my baby to the team. I know she doesn't have much power (being an ex-corporate workstation), but she is a hard worker.

I will probably put a 4th cpu client on the laptop though. EDIT: done

by the way, has anybody had any problems with the GPU client? it seems to not respond to certain commands (such as telling it to pause work), seems to not back off on taking GPU time, and at times stops doing anything altogether. Does it have something to do with me using windows 7 64bit or is the client just unstable?

edit: it's working fine now. I guess that powering down windows while it was booting screwed it up before (i reformatted and reinstalled the OS), and installing the updated client after initial install caused some problems, but no problems now, though it's still not letting up on GPU time when other things demand it. I can see a performance drop when dragging windows around the screen.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

Wreckusu wrote:Now it just says "number of units completed: 4". Planning on starting up the GPU client too but I'd only be able to leave it on overnight and when I'm at work as it's likely to impact my performance when I'm actually making use of my computer.
That doesn't mean it's stopped working. Right click the icon and view the log file; you should be able to see the the progress it's made on its new unit that way.

Whether or not the GPU client will effect performance honestly depends on your system and the applications you run. If you're already pushing the GPU to its upper limits then you probably will lose some fps, but if it works like a champ then it may be able to do both. One word of caution, the GPU client seems to be more prone to actually losing data, so use the pause feature if you want it to stop for awhile.
ShinseiTom

Post by ShinseiTom »

I guess I could add in mine. I'm running 1 SMP client on my quad core (2000 avg), 1 GPU on my 8800gt (anywhere from 3500 to 5000), and a PS3 (~1000). So one computer and a console (with an avg of ~7000).
I did have an extra 1500 from an 8600gts, but I gave that to my little brother.
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

Pumpkineat3r wrote: That doesn't mean it's stopped working. Right click the icon and view the log file; you should be able to see the the progress it's made on its new unit that way.

Whether or not the GPU client will effect performance honestly depends on your system and the applications you run. If you're already pushing the GPU to its upper limits then you probably will lose some fps, but if it works like a champ then it may be able to do both. One word of caution, the GPU client seems to be more prone to actually losing data, so use the pause feature if you want it to stop for awhile.
Oh yeah I didn't think it'd stopped working but the change in information when I moused over threw me off. It's back to normal now though. As for the GPU client, I've got a fairly new system (i7 860, 4GB DDR3, Radeon 4890) so it should be able to take it. However I'm prone to running photoshop as well as games while I'm using the PC (often at the same time) so it's likely I'll have to pause it when I'm on.

Secondary question: I've been skimming through this thread and noticed that the standard client only makes use of one of my cores. Would I be able to increase the efficiency by getting the multi core client? Also how can you get a signature banner? I wouldn't normally ask but 30 pages of posts is a lot to skim through.
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

That's a pretty nice GPU. It could possibly manage all those tasks, but the only way to know for sure would be to actually try. The SMP client produces huge quantities of points, but I have no experience actually running it. It is also possible to run multiple copies of the basic client. My current setup is the GPU and basic client, which has the "do not lock cores to a specific CPU" option checked (Modest increase).

Message Delta if you want one of the KS F@H signature images.
DESU

Post by DESU »

Wreckusu wrote:
Pumpkineat3r wrote: That doesn't mean it's stopped working. Right click the icon and view the log file; you should be able to see the the progress it's made on its new unit that way.

Oh yeah I didn't think it'd stopped working but the change in information when I moused over threw me off. It's back to normal now though. As for the GPU client, I've got a fairly new system (i7 860, 4GB DDR3, Radeon 4890) so it should be able to take it. However I'm prone to running photoshop as well as games while I'm using the PC (often at the same time) so it's likely I'll have to pause it when I'm on.

Secondary question: I've been skimming through this thread and noticed that the standard client only makes use of one of my cores. Would I be able to increase the efficiency by getting the multi core client? Also how can you get a signature banner? I wouldn't normally ask but 30 pages of posts is a lot to skim through.
there is a client that should allow for multiple cores being used, I believe it's called an SMP client. It should be under the high performance clients section of the download page.
ImageImage
>Completion 28%
DESU

Post by DESU »

I'm just a little curious, what exactly needs all this power that you guys considered starting up folding@home?
ImageImage
>Completion 28%
JetAlone

Post by JetAlone »

Wreckusu wrote: Oh yeah I didn't think it'd stopped working but the change in information when I moused over threw me off. It's back to normal now though. As for the GPU client, I've got a fairly new system (i7 860, 4GB DDR3, Radeon 4890) so it should be able to take it.

I've been skimming through this thread and noticed that the standard client only makes use of one of my cores. Would I be able to increase the efficiency by getting the multi core client?
Since the ATI GPU client doesn't perform as well, the best choice for you will be getting the SMP client running. I get around 6000 PPD from my overclocked Q9300, so with an i7 you should easily get more than that once you complete 10 of the A3 units.

Download the SMP2 client version 6.29 here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther
Info on how to get the bonus points for SMP2 units: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13003
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

JetAlone wrote:
Wreckusu wrote: Oh yeah I didn't think it'd stopped working but the change in information when I moused over threw me off. It's back to normal now though. As for the GPU client, I've got a fairly new system (i7 860, 4GB DDR3, Radeon 4890) so it should be able to take it.

I've been skimming through this thread and noticed that the standard client only makes use of one of my cores. Would I be able to increase the efficiency by getting the multi core client?
Since the ATI GPU client doesn't perform as well, the best choice for you will be getting the SMP client running. I get around 6000 PPD from my overclocked Q9300, so with an i7 you should easily get more than that once you complete 10 of the A3 units.

Download the SMP2 client version 6.29 here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther
Info on how to get the bonus points for SMP2 units: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13003
Hmm I read somewhere you can run both the GPU2 client and the SMP client. Is it worthwhile trying that or would it be better to only use the SMP.
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

You can run both. The friend who's been helping me troubleshoot runs the SMP and 2 copies of the GPU client, all on one machine.
JetAlone

Post by JetAlone »

Wreckusu wrote:Hmm I read somewhere you can run both the GPU2 client and the SMP client. Is it worthwhile trying that or would it be better to only use the SMP.
Yes, you can run both. I think with ATI cards you need to set some environment variables to prevent it from sapping away performance from the SMP client.