Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

berserker29

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by berserker29 »

Tweaked wrote:Hooray for the TOP 500! We finally made it possible!

@berserker: I'd wait for the DX11 craze, unless you have money.
Apparently I at least have to wait long enough for TSMC to get it's head out of it's collective ass :http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20091030PD209.html

I'm getting that card as soon as it drops back to MSRP. ($259) I'm only willing to be price-gouged so much.

EDIT: Changed my order to 64 bit Ultimate since it has "Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications", and "Bitlocker".
2xCPU version, 1xPS3, 1xGTX 260
Kota

Post by Kota »

berserker29 wrote:Anyone else planning on taking a DX11 plunge? The new card will only be worth about the same PPD as my current one for now, but fairly soon (I predict in 6-8 months) the GPU3 client will arrive, and use openCL which should see similar results regardless of GPU brand.
Seriously? So I don't have to go nVidia to get awesome results?
2600k 4.5GHz bigadv folder, occasionally an additional 860 2.8GHz smp folder.
berserker29

Post by berserker29 »

Straight from Prof. Vijay Pande pande himself: http://folding.typepad.com/news/2009/09 ... ients.html

Good to see I'm not the only one still checking on this thread. :D
Bara

Post by Bara »

berserker29 wrote:Straight from Prof. Vijay Pande pande himself
Good news about GPU3 and such but other than "in testing" I didn't see any guesstimates of when they would be availible...

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
berserker29

Post by berserker29 »

Their "OpenMM" is tentatively scheduled to reach version 1.0 in Jan. : http://en.fah-addict.net/news/news-0-74 ... -cores.php

Being the pessimist that I am, I would expect them to take 6-8 months to build the client around it after completion - because I always assume worst-case scenario :mrgreen:

I also recall seeing minimum requirements for OpenCL on ATI cards. If I can find it again, I'll post that here as well.
berserker29

Post by berserker29 »

And there goes 8,000,000!!!

As far as ATI OpenCL, any card in the HD 4xxx series and up, (not including IGP's probably) and they may include some degree of support for older cards, but 4xxx and 5xxx are guaranteed full Open CL support.

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStreamS ... fault.aspx

EDIT: Before I forget, OpenCL also requires an SSE3 capable CPU, so if you're curious,you can check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3#CPUs_with_SSE3
Bara

Post by Bara »

Heh, I guess we all are a bit jaded. I know I hardly noticed the counter tick over until you mentioned it. :D

I'm a bit excited to try the new GPU, SMP2, and GPU3 cores when they are ready. I expect some benefit from them all but mainly the SMP2 core; since I use Nvidia cards I figure my gain from GPU3 wil not be as dramatic as someone using an ATI card would see. But hey, I'll take any code optimization to finish WU's faster and not worry that someone else gets a bigger boost than I do. :mrgreen:

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Bara

Post by Bara »

Whoah! I just noticed I'm about 221K away from 1 million points. How the heck did that happen? Now I have a personal milestone to look forward to. :mrgreen:

hunterking87

Post by hunterking87 »

lol nice, good luck on the next 220- k. I just started a few weeks ago and have jumped all the way to spot 53 and according to extremeoverclocking.com I'm finally one of the top 20 producers. lol today I had a big task for the GPU. 8000, usually its around 2000 or less. Another thing that i noticed is that we have more then halved the rank we were when I started. this group is awesome in comparison to my last one.
Bara

Post by Bara »

I guess the F@H stats sever borked http://folding.typepad.com/ which explains why all our WU's have been dissapearing into a black hole according to our counters. The blog post in the link above says that it will be a "few days" before the backed up info is credited.

Bara

Post by Bara »

Looks like they finaly got the statistic reporting back up, but I'm assuming that it is only showing new WU's submitted and the WU's submitted when the server was down will be gradualy filled in later.

cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Yeah I was going through a few of the queues in my little farm at work and finding a lot of failed uploads and unreported stats...

Just brought my GPU back online after moving to 7; haven't done the SMP yet but I only run my home PC about 6 hours a day....

Bought a new blower soley for the GPU to fold. This is getting silly...
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

cpl_crud wrote:Bought a new blower soley for the GPU to fold. This is getting silly...
I can imagine what it's like for the people who *really* take folding srsly.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
zet cross

Post by zet cross »

Odd place to make my first post here but meh, at least it's for a good cause.

Well just to say I decided to install f@h on my comp and join your little group, as at least now I know no matter what I'm doing on my comp I know I'm doing something for the betterment of mankind, or to create freakish super mutants that will kill us all depending if there scientists are in fact evil or not.
UNIT0918

Post by UNIT0918 »

I've been folding on my PS3 by myself until I found out that Katawa Shoujo had a team. :D If I can't donate to Katawa Shoujo, then I can at least do this.
Seeing that more people are using Valkyria Chronicles avatars, I'll follow suit.