Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Waru

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Waru »

Few times now I've received errors on the gpu client near the end of a WU :|

Also are there any settings I can modify on the gpu/cpu clients to increase the workload when I'm not using the computer? Such as when I'm at work or sleeping.
berserker29

Post by berserker29 »

Waru wrote:Few times now I've received errors on the gpu client near the end of a WU :|

Also are there any settings I can modify on the gpu/cpu clients to increase the workload when I'm not using the computer? Such as when I'm at work or sleeping.
Here's an article on optimizing a GPU client for stability and efficiency.

http://en.fah-addict.net/articles/artic ... iables.php

The easiest way to get more out of your CPU is to just run more clients. (Max of 1 per CPU core)
2xCPU version, 1xPS3, 1xGTX 260
Bara

Post by Bara »

About the only one I can think of off the top of my head is accepting large (over 10MB) WU's. As for the amount of CPU cycles used; it should be using any unused cycles up to 100% unless you have put a cap on it in the client configuration.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Kota

Post by Kota »

ShinseiTom wrote:Just here to post a thank you for letting me fold for a good cause for a cool group of people. I had been folding a long time for another group, but that group kinda died and I was about the only one out of 100 people in the entire group folding. So when I saw your KS team announcement, I hopped right on.

I'm Shinsei_GPU_2 (yeah, crappy name) and I have my two video cards (8800gt and 8600gts), my quad-core cpu, and my PS3 working for the cause most of the time. Cheers!
You.

YOU.

YOU'RE THAT DAMNED JUGGERNAUT THAT LIMITED MY TIME AT #1 TO MERELY A DAY OR LESS.

Damn, keep up the folding, bro.
2600k 4.5GHz bigadv folder, occasionally an additional 860 2.8GHz smp folder.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

So I finally bothered to install the SMP version on my home machine instead of being lazy.

The extra CPUs at work seemed to be lagging a little so I figured this was a nessecar step. Also I think I'll leave the PC running for a few days and see how I fare. Maybe buy some new PCs to stick in the vacant rack space at work.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
ShinseiTom

Post by ShinseiTom »

Kota wrote:
ShinseiTom wrote:Just here to post a thank you for letting me fold for a good cause for a cool group of people. I had been folding a long time for another group, but that group kinda died and I was about the only one out of 100 people in the entire group folding. So when I saw your KS team announcement, I hopped right on.

I'm Shinsei_GPU_2 (yeah, crappy name) and I have my two video cards (8800gt and 8600gts), my quad-core cpu, and my PS3 working for the cause most of the time. Cheers!
You.

YOU.

YOU'RE THAT DAMNED JUGGERNAUT THAT LIMITED MY TIME AT #1 TO MERELY A DAY OR LESS.

Damn, keep up the folding, bro.
Uhhhhh.... sorry? If it makes you feel better, I'm slowly falling behind. I turn everything but the PS3 off when I play games (which is often), so you can probably catch up and get ahead of me.

(Especially since Borderlands is coming out soon. I fully intend to play the crap out of that game, so I probably will only be PS3 folding for a while.)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

There is no "sorry", only the ticking down of units towards an unimaginably distant goal.
THIS IS FOLDING. :mrgreen:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Bara

Post by Bara »

berserker29 wrote:Here's an article on optimizing a GPU client for stability and efficiency.

http://en.fah-addict.net/articles/artic ... iables.php
I read that link and put in the system environment varaibles for NVIDIA cards and it seems to have helped my 8800 GTS run a bit faster on my dual core. I haven't tried to measure if there is any real difference. This is only eyeball guesstimation. :lol:

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Ugh, this 2 million step GPU WU is taking more time to complete than many 20 million step WUs I've seen.

1 moderately good CPU, 1 8800gtx, 5 really OLD CPUs.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Yeah, some days I seem to get nothing but slow protiens to fold; I guess it is just the luck of the draw on which ones you get, Pickles. Meh... :|

berserker29

Post by berserker29 »

Yesterday I got two GPU WU's that folded really slow - at least compared to other GPU WU's - but they were worth a whopping 1888 points each, so it didn't affect my PPD all that much.

If anyone is interested, here is what seems to be the best website for current information on F@H developments and hardware information: http://en.fah-addict.net/news/news.php

BTW, does anyone know of a virtual machine program like VMware, but for free? I'm thinking of migrating over to Windows 7 soon, but I want a way to preserve my XP stuff... preferably a way that doesn't cost almost as much as the OS itself...
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

The non-crippled version of 7 include Microsoft Virtual PC, with the express purpose of running an instance of Windows XP inside it for compatibility reasons (and that copy of XP is included as well).
Bara

Post by Bara »

Well, for what it is worth my install of Win7 went with out any major hitches (minor sound card driver problem since its an old SB Audigy card). Of course I was going from Vista and not XP. My clean installs from XP are scheduled for when I have a gun put to my head and verbal abuse screamed into my ear, and not one second before if I can help it. :mrgreen:
GPU and SMP Clents didn't even hiccup. If anything the GPU client may be a hair less flaky than under Vista.

berserker29

Post by berserker29 »

I've ordered a copy of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, and set newegg to auto-notify me the next time they get any Radeon HD 5850's in stock.

Anyone else planning on taking a DX11 plunge? The new card will only be worth about the same PPD as my current one for now, but fairly soon (I predict in 6-8 months) the GPU3 client will arrive, and use openCL which should see similar results regardless of GPU brand.

EDIT: TOP 500!!! I think that is officially record-worthy.
Tweaked

Post by Tweaked »

Hooray for the TOP 500! We finally made it possible!

@berserker: I'd wait for the DX11 craze, unless you have money.