Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

cheesegrater3

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by cheesegrater3 »

OK, I'm confused. I have been using the normal client for a while, but just learned about others(GPU, SMP). I have an AMD Dual-Core Processor and I downloaded the GPU to go with my ATI Radeon HD 4670 Video card. I am using both right now, and the GPU is using the same amount of CPU percentage as the normal client, making my CPU run at 100%....I thought that the GPU isn't supposed to use as much as the normal one.

Obey the cheese!
Kota

Post by Kota »

It's either your ATI card or you're on XP. Or both. ATI cards use more CPU, if I remember correctly, and there was (I don't know if it still occurs) an issue with XP reporting 100% usage of the core; Vista only uses <10% of the core to feed the GPU.

If neither of these are the cause, all I can say is try to set core affinities and see what happens. It's not likely to change much. I'd use the GPU client anyway, they get a lot more PPD than any CPU-based client, even if ATI cards do a lot less than an nVidia one.
2600k 4.5GHz bigadv folder, occasionally an additional 860 2.8GHz smp folder.
Kota

Post by Kota »

G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

... A gamer community?! They probably have bleeding edge GPUs, CPUs, and a truckload of PS3s... We're in trouble, boys.

72,862 PPD average...
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

eGO???!??

I HATE THOSE FUCKERS.
Every admin has this damn god complex.
Makes me rage.
Duo2Cuo

Post by Duo2Cuo »

Jesse wrote: Every admin has this damn god complex.
Makes me rage.
Are you insinuating that the KS devs don't?
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Duo2Cuo wrote:
Jesse wrote: Every admin has this damn god complex.
Makes me rage.
Are you insinuating that the KS devs don't?
Every admin has a god complex.

Some have it worse then others.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Got one of my folding computers back up. By the end of the day I should be back to contributing 2k or so PPD to the team.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

G3n0c1de wrote:... A gamer community?! They probably have bleeding edge GPUs, CPUs, and a truckload of PS3s... We're in trouble, boys.

72,862 PPD average...
Overtake time: 1,117 days

Yea, I'm not too worried.

1 moderately good CPU, 1 8800gtx, 5 really OLD CPUs.
Kota

Post by Kota »

By the way, Extreme Overclocking now tracks our user stats! This means you can rub your computing hardware in each others' faces as though it means you have more skill than each other.

Example: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=471502

Gonna crush Shinsei!...but get owned by 3 at the same time.

(But right now it has inaccurate data for projections, so don't brag just yet)
Bara

Post by Bara »

Kota wrote:(But right now it has inaccurate data for projections, so don't brag just yet)
Since when has anyone let inaccurate data get in the way of bragging about their e-penis?? :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

I think I have an idea of a folding 'game'. More like a competition really. For (x-amount of time), we fold under the name of a character from KS. It's like each character is a team. So you can show your support for your favorite character by folding proteins in their name. You can jump in and out of teams at will, and not participating at all is fine too. To standardize team names, it should be the character's first name, with the first letter capitalized. So stuff like 'Shizune', 'Emi', and 'Hideaki'. At the end of the allotted time, the team with the most points 'wins'. An alternative to this would be, the first team to gather (x number) amount of points 'wins'.

I am only putting forth a proposal. I leave it to the rest of you to organize when and how long this competition should be held. Or if it is even a good idea. I'm just trying to find a way to make folding more interesting, perhaps even 'fun'. For just a little bit, we stop trying to grow our own e-peens, and work together to support a character or two that we like, while competing against others of the same mindset.

There are a few problems with this concept. Obviously, the character who gains the favor of our more prolific folders will have an advantage. Not sure if this is bad, or just how the world works. Also most of our folders that would actually be interested in this idea would have to be informed ahead of time, and I don't think many people read this thread anymore, most posts are by the same people. Also, I think it would be impossible to gauge how much you personally are contributing to your character, if people are interested in that.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

G3n0c1de wrote:I think I have an idea of a folding 'game'. More like a competition really. For (x-amount of time), we fold under the name of a character from KS. It's like each character is a team. So you can show your support for your favorite character by folding proteins in their name. You can jump in and out of teams at will, and not participating at all is fine too. To standardize team names, it should be the character's first name, with the first letter capitalized. So stuff like 'Shizune', 'Emi', and 'Hideaki'. At the end of the allotted time, the team with the most points 'wins'. An alternative to this would be, the first team to gather (x number) amount of points 'wins'.

I am only putting forth a proposal. I leave it to the rest of you to organize when and how long this competition should be held. Or if it is even a good idea. I'm just trying to find a way to make folding more interesting, perhaps even 'fun'. For just a little bit, we stop trying to grow our own e-peens, and work together to support a character or two that we like, while competing against others of the same mindset.

There are a few problems with this concept. Obviously, the character who gains the favor of our more prolific folders will have an advantage. Not sure if this is bad, or just how the world works. Also most of our folders that would actually be interested in this idea would have to be informed ahead of time, and I don't think many people read this thread anymore, most posts are by the same people. Also, I think it would be impossible to gauge how much you personally are contributing to your character, if people are interested in that.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
I see this working if our folding team had more members, or if our folding capacity was spread more equally amongst the proletariat... but then we don't get boosts to our individual e-peens :(

1 moderately good CPU, 1 8800gtx, 5 really OLD CPUs.
Kota

Post by Kota »

Yeah, if we had a bigger folding base and a more evenly distributed one, it might be fun, but right now just have me, malinor, Jet, and Berserker fold for someone and they win. Period. Or a combination of similar heavy folders.

Still a fun idea, I'd do it.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Damn, I guess you guys are right. If only there were a more even way to compete for our favorite characters...